Invisible Edlritch Glaive Lock

Particle_Man

Explorer
My understanding is that you have to have either Chaotic or Evil, or if you're really feeling dangerous both.

You are correct, that is all the warlock needs. I was under the misapprehension that their was a more restrictive alignment prerequisite for the prestige class.

krupintupple

First Post
you know, not to nag or anything, but your AC is fairly low for someone at CR12 or so. i realize that you may have a fairly effective method of dealing with attackers, but eventually, someone several size categories larger than you is going to charge your CR1 armour class and really put a serious hurt on you.

maybe some defensive items?

Maxecat1

Villager
Okay I'll ditch the Chausable, and I guess move some skill points into concentration as well. Wasn't too worried about it because in a few levels I'll have an invisbility spell to use

Hiya, I've been RPGing for years & have found the Warlock to be a lot of fun & helpful in most situations.

Specifically for you to think about...
Why ditch the Chasuble? I didn't see a reason given - maybe for an
amulet of Natural Armour...?...or perhaps drop your leather armour
instead, & get yourself some magical elvin chain - because it's made
from mithral, it counts as light armour - so you can wear it...

As for Invisibility...dude - don't count on it protecting you too much...
At higher levels, many monsters can see invisibility...it's screwed our
mage on more than one occasion - as that's his favourite trick... ; )
So - back to the above paragraph - invest in some good magical armour
& a ring of protection. (At Lvl 12, you should have WAY more magical
stuff than you have listed...

Hope this helps.

irdeggman

First Post
I don't know warlocks, so seriously, why not?
I see that it talks about changing the area of effect, targets, etc. I take it, then that all the blast shape invocation does is essentially change the shape of the blast and doesn't create that type of weapon in eldritch form?

Because it is a spell like ability (works like a spell) and not an actual weapon. Spell Resistance applies but Damage Resistance does not.

Also what's the save type on a eldritch blast? Even if you blast shape it isn't it still an SLA, thereby provoking an AoO?

It depends on the invocation - some are reflex (most area effects) some are fortitude, some are will. Check the specific invocation (or the spell it replicates).

And yes when you generate the invocation it generates an AoO like using all SLA does - but opnly when generating it - the EG creates an opportunity when invoked but not for the remainder of the duration. Make a conccentration check to cast defensively hence negating the AoO (basically if yo make the concentration check the SLA goes off, but by castig defensively you elimnate the AoO).

Khazan

First Post
Hiya, I've been RPGing for years & have found the Warlock to be a lot of fun & helpful in most situations.

As for Invisibility...dude - don't count on it protecting you too much...
At higher levels, many monsters can see invisibility...it's screwed our
mage on more than one occasion - as that's his favourite trick... ; )

I have to agree... True Seeing starts to become a bit common as you climb levels, and your opponents will see you regardless of your invisibility. Heck, even your fellow warlocks can get See the Unseen, right?

And...someone please correct me here, but once you attack while you are invisible (not under the effect of Greater Invisibility, mind you), don't you then become visible? So as you attack an opponent with your Edritch Glaive o' doom, they (and their allies) are going to see you.

angelababy

First Post
when you generate the invocation it generates an AoO like using all SLA does - but opnly when generating it - the EG creates an opportunity when invoked but not for the remainder of the duration.

Maxecat1

Villager
And...someone please correct me here, but once you attack while you are invisible (not under the effect of Greater Invisibility, mind you), don't you then become visible? So as you attack an opponent with your Edritch Glaive o' doom, they (and their allies) are going to see you.

Don't have the book in front of me, but - basically you're right. The
Warlock abilities mirror the spell...but by the same token (& I can't
100% remember) I think Warlocks get access to both the standard
form & the Greater under different level invocations...

irdeggman

First Post
Don't have the book in front of me, but - basically you're right. The
Warlock abilities mirror the spell...but by the same token (& I can't
100% remember) I think Warlocks get access to both the standard
form & the Greater under different level invocations...

Yes, retributive invisibility (Dark) grants greater invisibilitiy

SolitonMan

Explorer
Supporter
Feats:
Soulmeld: Strongheart Vest

I saw this in your post and I was wondering if your thinking was that the strongheart vest's ability damage reduction would prevent the damage from using the hellfire blast. I'd be interested in hearing how your DM rules on this, because it's been a topic of some debate - some people believe that since using the hellfire blast is not an attack on the warlock, AND because the description of hellfire blast states specifically that you can't use hellfire if you don't have a CON score or are immune to CON damage, that strongheart vest won't work to prevent the CON damage and allow use of the hellfire blast. Others think differently.

An alternative solution is to use the Bind Vestige feat from Tome of Magic to bind the vestige of Naberius and take the ability healing power. This allows you to heal one point of ability damage per ability per round, which, if you're only using one hellfire blast per round, should work fine.

Warlock has been one of the most fun classes I've played, so I'm always interested to hear how others use them. Whatever happens, good luck! :)

Remove ads