Invisible objects/forces (My players please stay out)

Davek

First Post
My players please stay out.

This means you;

Terjon
Thalales
Maximillian
Kuwihari
Skyer

I will be running an encounter whre the party will be coming up against a ocmpany of mercenaries, supported by one of the BBEGs. I expect the party to defeat the mercs, but there are several thing I am not sure about.

The BBEG has Wall of Force which he intends to lay down in front of the group, to a height of about mid thigh. (He has personally seen them fight several times and has noted their tendency to charge into situations)

He doesn't have alot of offensive spells.

The party might have ability to see invisible, but I am not sure if they will see a wall of force .

If they do not detect it somehow, and then attempt to charge through the space it is in, what how should I adjudicate that? Do they get a reflex save to stop and not fall? Is it considered an automatic trip?

I am kinda hoping that they will fall over the wall and land prone right at the feet of the invisible orc fighter/rogues with battle axes :]

CalrinAlshaw

First Post
Give them a reflex save...I've tripped before and fallen on my face, and other times that I've tripped I hit the ground and rolled right up onto my feet smoothly. But I'd have it deal like 1 damage (In the shins and thighs, owe).
If they have 5 or more ranks in tumbling, let them substitute their tumbling for reflex.

Calrin Alshaw

Laslo Tremaine

Explorer
It's always handy to check the SRD for things like this.

See Invisibility
Divination
Level: Brd 3, Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 10 min./level (D)

You can see any objects or beings that are invisible within your range of vision, as well as any that are ethereal, as if they were normally visible. Such creatures are visible to you as translucent shapes, allowing you easily to discern the difference between visible, invisible, and ethereal creatures.

The spell does not reveal the method used to obtain invisibility. It does not reveal illusions or enable you to see through opaque objects. It does not reveal creatures who are simply hiding, concealed, or otherwise hard to see.

See invisibility can be made permanent with a permanency spell.

Material Component: A pinch of talc and a small sprinkling of powdered silver.
The bold emphasis is mine....

So, yeah, if they have See Invisibility up, then that person (or persons) will see the Wall of Force.

If they do not see it for some reason, I would call it a fairly high Reflex save to avoid tripping and falling prone. Maybe DC20 if they are charging or DC 15 if they are making a regular move. Ulitmately the DC is up to you, but I would say thay asking for the Reflex check is completely valid.

IMO, won't work, since the Wall of Force is made up of 10-foot squares...

If you rule that it's possible for the wall to be less than 10' X 10', then a Reflex save vs. the appropriate DC for the spell would be in order, IMO.

If the character succeeds at his save, I'd have the character stopped by the wall. If failed, the character falls prone on the other side.

AR

allenw

Explorer
Laslo Tremaine said:
So, yeah, if they have See Invisibility up, then that person (or persons) will see the Wall of Force.
Although I note that a Wall of Force is neither a creature nor an object.

jgsugden

Legend
As a house rule, you might consider adding a size modifier to the spot checks for noticing invisible objects/creatures. It seems like it should be easier to notice an invisible roc than it is an invisible flea. The DC might drop from a 40 spot to a 39 or 38 spot ... :)

For the effect of running into an invisible wall, I'd go with a reflex save (DC15) to avoid falling. If they fall, have them end up prone on the opposite side of the wall. If they do not fall, have them stop before the wall.

See invisible should work to spot the wall.

Last edited:

Remove ads