• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

io9 retrospective on the greatest out of print RPGs.

darjr

I crit!
http://io9.com/the-greatest-out-of-print-tabletop-rpgs-that-we-still-l-1350714506

I had to post about Jorune. There are a lot of good ones there. Ah Jorune!

jorune2ndbox.jpg

Jhaelen

First Post
I had to post about Jorune. There are a lot of good ones there. Ah Jorune!
I have it! After playing (or rather trying to play) the video game, I had to get it. Amazing artwork!
Leaving out MERP was a serious mistake. That was a system made by Tolkien scholars!
Meh. The system was just a simplified version of Rolemaster. Easily my least-liked system for roleplaying in Middle Earth, even if the background and setting material was good.

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
Leaving out MERP was a serious mistake. That was a system made by Tolkien scholars!

The game that made Luthien Tinuviel a blonde? (Lords of Middle-Earth Vol. II) :D

Now, Decipher's Lord of the Rings Roleplaying Game--that was made by Tolkien scholars, or at least one, IIRC. John Rateliff worked on that, right?

On the list, I was very happy to see that the SAGA Rules System is still fondly remembered.

mattingly

First Post
I'm glad to see that Chill made it on their list.

Another favorite was It Came from the Late, Late, Late Show, in which you all play bad actors in a bad movie. Screaming is one of the skills.

--
Dave Mattingly
BlackWyrm Games

Good to see Star Wars d6 was on the list.

Still the best version of Star Wars ever made, and even though it's been OOP for 15 years, it's still the one I run when I run SW.

It's a real shame that WEG was so hideously mismanaged that it went under, especially before the prequels and what d6 could have done with them.

Remove ads