(IR) IR Interlude Turn 6 - Turn 7 (thread 1)

Kalanyr

Explorer
Kalanyr sits in the remains of the party decorations

"For all my good intentions this did nothing. Perhapes I have even made the Goo stronger?

Perhaps pointing the finger at others is a mistake we make, we are all to blame for what has happened to this world. We must all take responsibility for our own actions. So many of my people and the people of others have died due to my foolishness.

But giving up and wallowing in misery, despair and self-pity just strengthen the Red and bring the Mists closer. What must be done is active. to help rebuild, to clear the skies and to heal the land. To restore the dead to life. To free the slaves of Acererak. "

He stands and with a gesture shuts all the gates not leading to an area in need of help or held by an ally. The party decorations vanish haveing repacked themselves behind him.

Something in his eyes is sparking again and enegy buzzes around. The aura of divinity around him forms and coalesces into a discernable emotion it is different to that of the Sword God , Iuz , Melkor , Zagyg or any of the other demigods or avatars, his aura holds no charm,death or battle lust, merely hope, the hope and determination to see things through to the end, the hope that all will be well if you do enough, if peace is worked for hard enough and the hope for peace, freedom and unity.

(If the monologue above seems disjoined, its supposed to be, creatures capable of thinking in depth about more than one thing at a time tend to have monologues sound disordered I'd guess.)

Kalanyr kneels in front of the Statue to the fallen erected after the attack on the shade. His eyes are pale and his look is of rememberance and sorrow.

"So much, so many have given for what is right. I feel I am unworthy of the form I wear, my deeds accomplish so little now, the struggle to undo the evil I could cause in one day takes months. I must do more. So very much to do."

He stands and looks at Iggwilv, his only surviving close companion of the past 17 months, Eclavdra,Zuggtmoy and Lyzandred all fell in the battle with the shade, Keraptis and Xaene lost their lives in the battle with the Red Army.

"What do you think?"

"Of what?" She queries

"Of the fallen, of the needless suffering and death?"

" I remember when I would have revelled in it, when I would have applauded Iuz, and felt a certain degree of motherly pride. But such times seem so distant now. I can only mourn what is done and do what I can to repair the damage. To lose hope is to undo the very essence of Freedom."

Kalanyr stares at her and nods

"You are right, to lose hope is to undo all we have worked for. It is time to act, to heal."

As Kalanyr and Iggwilv disappear from the statue a spring of Oerthblood springs from the ground where he knelt and moves to the statue, touching it,melding with it, transforming the rememberance to the brave and the fallen, be they mighty or humble, archmage or peasant, into Oerthblood. The statue glitters in the sunlight as the silver metal works to undo the devastation and poison around the area that was once the great City of Greyhawk.

(Note to Edena-Eclavdra should be dead, I believe Jubilex exploded her in Turn 4)

Kalanyr

Explorer
Evangellions? :D

I was going to make Mechas, hmm they are possible now, Woohooo! Go the giant magical constructs!

Another note to Edena: Did you get the 2nd of my 3 emails? There's several questions amongst the pointless rambling I would like answered when you have the time.

Last edited:

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: NEW POWERS AVAILABLE

THIS ARTICLE REPLACES THE EARLIER ONE.
PLEASE CONSIDER THIS UPDATED ARTICLE THE TRUE ONE, AND THE OTHER ONE TO BE OBSOLETE.

This is a restatement of my earlier article.

It has more information in it, and more choices.

Also, it takes some things into account I had not thought of.

IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING TAKING ONE OF THE NEW POWERS, PLEASE READ THIS. (And Zelda, thank you for the support. It is appreciated.)

As I previously stated, I thought it would be funner if everyone could join in the party, and have 11th level magic.
My new system of Attack and Defense Categories simplies the 11th level war, making it something you can actually use to defeat an opponent.

I'm not trying to penalize those who earned 11th level magic; I'm not giving 11th level magic to Powers that don't have them.
I'm allowing Players to select open Powers that do have them, so they can have more fun in this IR.

The following people in the IR are still playing, and do not have 11th level magic:

Alyx
Creamsteak
Dagger
Festy Dog
GnomeWorks
'o Skoteinos
Sollir
Tokiwong
Uvenelei
Zelda

The following people in the IR are still playing, and do have 11th level magic:

Alzem (he gained it by research)
Anabstercorian (he gained it by research)
Black Omega (he gained it from the nuclear fall-out)
Mr. Draco (he gained it by research)
Forsaken One (he gained it from the nuclear fall-out)
Kalanyr (he gained it by research)
Melkor (he gained it when the Angels changed reality)
Mina and her Army (they gained it by research)
Serpenteye (he gained it by research)
Venus (he gained it from the Angels)
William (he gained it from the Angels)
Zouron (he gained it when the Angels changed reality)

Here are the open powers:

The United Commonwealth of Toril is now an open power.
The Eternal Empire of Toril is now an open power.
The Scro Star League is now an open power.
The Church of Toril is now an open power.
The Church of Mercy is now an open power.
The Church of Shade goes to Melkor (I will add it to his roster.)
Mina and her Army are now an open power.
The Nations of the Chosen of Mystra are now an open power.
Valky's Unseelie are now an open power.

All of these Powers can employ 11th level magic.

I wish to bequeath the 8 open Powers above upon the 10 players who are currently bereft of 11th level magic, those being:

Alyx
Creamsteak
Dagger
Festy Dog
GnomeWorks
'o Skoteinos
Sollir
Tokiwong
Uvenelei
Zelda

Here are descriptions of the eight open Powers

- - -

# 1: The United Commonwealth of Toril

The UC is the vision of Ian Payne, a noble and enlightened man.
The UC is a republic, covering all of Faerun, Zakhara, Maztica, the Hordelands, and a greater part of Realmspace, including one of Toril's two moons. It is the preeminent Power in Realmspace.
The UC is a cosmopolitan society, highly enlightened, where beholder mingles with kender, elf with drow, illithid with human, aboleth with faerie.
The laws are just, designed to protect the rights of the individual, and are enforced by people of strongly good alignment and only those with compassion.
The UC maintains the Torilian Border Guard to protect Realmspace from an attack from Without, and it maintains a fleet of sub-light Starships, which provide a protection against spelljamming marauders.
The UC also maintains the World Forum, a place where all the nations of Realmspace meet, to discuss matters of importance.
11th level magic is common in the UC, but there are numerous special spells, laid down over many years, to govern it's use, and prevent it from being abused. A system of government mages carefully watches and protects Realmspace from potential abuse of this awesomely powerful force.

- - -

# 2: The Eternal Empire of Toril

The Eternal Empire of Toril covers the continent of Kara-Tur, and is an oriental nation.
The Eternal Empire is also a republic, and is for the most part very much like the United Commonwealth.
However, the current officials of the Eternal Empire are ruthless and power-hungry, corruption of power is widespread, and the military is the real ruler of this Power.
The military and the civilian officials desire to expand the Eternal Empire, by diplomacy, by force, by whatever means are expedient.
They eye the enormous, wealthy, and powerful United Commonwealth with greedy eyes.
They have not dared to attack the UC, but have always been waiting, and waiting, for that special moment to come - the moment when the UC is vulnerable, when a quick and sudden first strike could eliminate the UC's mages and weapons.
The Eternal Empire does not wish to preside over a dead world destroyed by war. They want a blue-green world, with all the tremendous riches and people of the UC under their authority.

- - -

# 3: The Scro Star League

The Scro Star League is based on the moon Selune, and that is their center of operation.
The Scro Star League has always been independent, and intends to remain so.
To this end, the scro (spacefaring orcs who have evolved psionic powers and very high intelligence, and tend to be neutral) have built a vast starfleet of sub-light ships, a fleet that could rival the starfleet of the United Commonwealth, and is much stronger than the starfleet of the Eternal Empire.
The SSL spends almost all of it's energy in trade, though, not war, colonization, or any kind of religious activity.
The scro attitude is that there is a lot of money to be made in the new system, and they intend to make it.
In Realmspace, they have driven all the competition out of business - they are most definitely the ruthless businessmen, these scro - and they compete fiercely with other interstellar trading leagues, and indepedent operators, for trade in dozens of Crystal Spheres.
They also do a thriving trade in Sigil, and in the Outlands, and their agents can be found in many places and many planes, always seeking a new way to turn a profit.
The Scro Star League is not really interested in conquest, although they have taken over a few strategic bases on strategic worlds, or established their own military bases in Wildspace to protect themselves.
But the Scro Star League is interested, always, in profiting from whatever situation arises.
The Scro Star League and the United Commonwealth of Toril view each other on neutral terms; the UC really does not like the way the SSL conducts itself or treats it's workers and people, but they hold no jurisdiction over them, and their trade is important; the SSL views the UC as an important trading partner, and as a potential enemy that could try to seize their ships and bases.

- - -

# 4: The Church of Toril

The Church of Toril is a new concept: it's clerics are the specialty priests and priestesses of not one diety, but many dieties.
These are: Gond the Wonderbringer, Oghma the Binder, Selune Our Lady of Stars, Llirra Our Lady of Joy, Sune Our Lady of Beauty and Love, and Sharess Our Lady of Hedonism.
The Church of Toril promotes a militant stance of protection and warding against evil and the dark, while encouraging it's clerics and their following to enjoy all the good things of life.
There is a broad diversity of behavior, concerning the clerics, in this church - some are more militant, some less; some are more hedonistic to excess, some are less so.
The Church of Toril is wildly popular in the United Commonwealth, with all manner of diverse beings attending it's services, seminars, training schools, and festivals.
The Church of Toril can be found in every country in Realmspace, but it is most prevalent in the United Commonwealth, where the government gives it special status, and where tolerance between the races is institutionalized, and where the culture is more enlightened (and hedonistic) than elsewhere.

- - -

# 5

The Church of Mercy

The Church of Mercy grew directly from Ian Payne himself, and has been strongly supported by his daughter, who has been the Prime Minister of the United Commonwealth of Toril for the last 40 years, and who remains highly popular.
Ian Payne died in peace, and after his death a great miracle occurred in his final resting place.
A memorial to him was turned into a church, and Ian Payne became a saint-like figure to many people (considering how many people's lives he saved, and how many people he helped, that is not a wonder.)

The Church of Mercy now follows the principals that Ian Payne established in life.

A careful, prudent, intelligent approach to problems is considered the best answer to any situation.
Diplomacy, carefully chosen words, and caution are stressed as the answer to dangerous situations.

Above all, mercy, compassion, and understanding are stressed - the world is portrayed as a hard place that drives people to desperation and darkness, and the Church exists to ease the hard reality, and make life better for people.

A clergyman of this Church who allows himself to become filled with anger and hatred will not be expelled; he will be asked to voluntarily sequester himself in the Church, and think upon all of his emotions, and contemplate the consequences of his behavior.
A clergyman of this Church who injures someone in anger and hatred will not be expelled - he will be forcefully imprisoned in the Church, and required to contemplate (for a long time) his deeds, the harm he has done, and he will not be released until he has repented.
The Church will also reimburse any damage done by said cleric, immediately, 10 times over.

Because of it's strict policy of governing it's own, the United Commonwealth allows this Church to govern it's clergy by it's own laws, and does not enforce the laws of the UC on it - that is to say, when you are on church property, you are under church law.
The Church of Mercy, however, works closely with the government of the UC, which it has much in common with.

- - -

The Church of Shade

This is not an open power. This defaults to Melkor, who as Talos in the 2nd IR created it.

The Church of Shade is an evil organization that believes good has become ascendent in Realmspace, and it is their job to undermine that good.
The Church whispers words of corruption and darkness in any ears willing to give heed, and there are promises of power to those who will turn to the Dark.
The Church of Shade is an underground Church, illegal in all the countries of Realmspace, but despite it all they have survived the hunt for them, and in some places they have flourished.
For there are always corrupt people who desire power over others, and hearken to the call of power, and some of these have joined this new church.

The Church of Shade derives it's power from the evil part of the Plane of Shadow, and their primary magical might is in Shadow Magic. Many monsters of the Plane of Shadow work openly, or covertly, with the Church, and many in the Church have embraced the Darkness wholly and become Shades.

On Oerth, the Church of Shade is known as the Shadow Empire, but the Shadow Empire is merely an extension of the will of the Church of Shade's main headquarters, somewhere in Realmspace.

- - -

# 6: Mina and the Knights of Neraka

I am assuming that only some of you have read Dragons of a Fallen Sun, and Dragons of a Lost Star.
Those of you who have, know all about Mina and her Knights of Neraka.

For those of you who have not read the Dragonlance books, here is a summary of this Power:

Mina is the adopted child of Goldmoon, on the world of Krynn.
Growing up in a world where no Gods existed, Mina learned the powers of the Mystics - who could heal or harm by employing the Powers of the Heart.
When the great storm came, and the One God came with it, Mina heard the call, and gave herself over in service to that God, making all the sacrifices demanded by that God (including her long hair.)

The One God is evil, and Mina - being totally devout - is like unto an evil Joan of Arc.

Rallying the corrupt, depirited, and cynical Knights of Neraka (formerly the Knights of Takhisis), Mina brought faith to the One God to them all in the form of miracles and omniscience granted her by the One God.
She then lead them to victories the likes of which Krynn had never before seen; victory after victory over the other nations of Ansalon, until much of the continent had fallen, and the Knights of Solamnia and Steel were on the run, and evil was triumphant.

Mina is noble and depraved, kindly and ruthless.
Her Knights are noble and terrible, gentleman and horrific monsters.

Mina commands a secret Army, a terrible Army of the Dead that no enemy army can hope to withstand (the IR, of course, is an exception.)

The One God demands absolute loyalty and submission, with no exceptions and no exceptions in behavior.
In return, the One God grants the power of miracles to that God's clerics.

Some say the One God is Lord Chaos, from the Chaos War. Some say the One God is Takhisis, Goddess of Ambition, returned. Some say the One God is a whole new entity. Nobody really knows for sure but Mina, and she has never spoken the One God's name, not even to her own second in command.

# 7: The Nations of the Chosen of Mystra

The Chosen of Mystra rule over a series of small nations that never accepted the authority of the United Commonwealth of Toril, and continued to exist as independent countries after it was formed (similar to 6 or 7 Switzerlands.)
They eventually formed into one confederation.
They are: The Free City of Waterdeep, Luruar, Shadowdale, Elvenmeet, and Aglarond.

The Chosen pursue a policy, and they always adhere to it.
The spread of magic and magical lore to all people is the most worthwhile goal, for Mystra (magic) should be given freely to all.
The gift should be given freely, but with the gift comes the responsibility it carries, which is very great - and those who abuse it, are abusing the gift of Mystra, and this behavior is, at the least, reprehensible and depraved.
The Chosen consider that the suppression of magic, the withholding of magic, from those who could use it, or the monopolization of magic by a single power, is a crime, and they will move actively to stop it.
The Chosen also pursue their own goals, when not serving the dictates of Mystra.
Some Chosen are very lofty and noble, like Alustriel, and some are rogues and never-do-wells, like Elminster, and some are grim, hard, and tough, like Khelben.

The United Commonwealth of Toril views the Nations of the Chosen with suspicion and unfriendliness, especially since they are within it's greater borders, while everyone else treats them neutrally.
The Chosen, tend to do as they please, and friction between them and the UC might have broken out into war long ago - except that Mystra is on the side of the Chosen, not the UC, and Mystra is the final arbiter of magic in Realmspace.

# 8: Valky's Unseelie

These are the majority of the Unseelie of Oerth, and they are backed by the Unseelie of the Realm of Faerie.
Although Forsaken One plays a sizeable force of Unseelie, Valky's Unseelie are the pre-eminent force of these beings in Greyspace.

The Unseelie greatly resent (and hate) humans, demihumans, and even some humanoids, and wish them nothing but ill, and sometimes work actively to bring misery, horror, and death to them.
This hatred has greatly increased recently, since the Unseelie resent the destruction caused by humans and their ilk, and the Unseelie feel a fitting revenge is in order against all the despoilers of Oerth - and they do not differentiate between the Alliance of Oerth and the Union of the Worlds, Anabstercorian or the Shade, or anyone else.

The Unseelie have the might of Adri Forest, now known as the Death Forest, behind them.
This forest is now sentient, can move at high speed, has billions of trees, and has an immense amount of dark magic in it.
Those beings caught by it, or those who dare to enter without the express permission of the Unseelie, are taken, torn apart, and devoured by the forest, leaving no trace that they ever existed.

The Lost Elves are the only allies of the Unseelie, and the only race the Death Forest automatically welcomes.
The Lost Elves are highly evil, and they bitterly hate the Union of the Worlds for daring to assume it could rule them.
The Lost Elves have a great artifact, called the Sword of Cold, that can freeze entire areas permanently, or deliver massive blasts of negative energy. The Death Forest loves this artifact, always benefitting when it is used.

- - -

You may continue to play the Power you are already playing, if you select one of the above.

I regret that I cannot make it possible for everyone to have 11th level magic, and get in on the party, on Turn 7.

There are 8 Powers available above, for the 10 players to choice from.

If you are interested in playing one of these Powers, please post to the boards.

I will listen to all the applications, and after all are in I will allocate the Powers as requested, and settle any disputes as well as I can.

Edena_of_Neith

THIS ARTICLE REPLACES THE EARLIER ONE.
PLEASE CONSIDER THIS UPDATED ARTICLE THE TRUE ONE, AND THE OTHER ONE TO BE OBSOLETE.

Kalanyr

Explorer
I know you aren't trying to punish those of us who gained 11th level magic by research. You just want people to enjoy this IR.

The thing is that by claiming any one of those powers the player instantly can do everything those of us with 11th can do and probably have at least 5000 more PL than us.

Zelda Themelin

First Post
I agree with Kalanyr on that. It certainly would undermine people's efforts. However, there are few players who deserve 11th magic or something. Put hands up, if you think so. I am noth among those people. I am able to enjoy game without that much power, perhaps 'cause I've gotten to play enough 'evil demi-gods' in our table top games. Hehee, not that I'm afraid of having 11th magic or anything.

Little song came to my mind about this magic thing, here it is, for your amusement:

Every year Companions Choose as they have done before,
The Chosen come with shining hopes to learn the Herald's lore.
And every year the Heralds sigh and give the same advice--
"All those who would hold Magic's Power must then pay Magic's Price"

To Forsaken One:

-Do not interfere, ant, and I will leave you alone! For now I have ascended, I am Melkor The Red, and I possess power and wisdom beyond your imagination! You can`t defeat me, and battles between us will only make The Mist stronge, neither of us wants to be a part of Ravenloft!

Spoof

First Post
Ok I have a question about "Taking out the Garbage"

Mr. Draco and Serpenteye count as two players in the 11th level magic war. So that means they can assist each other with both defense and offense so unless we know who they are attacking they are pretty much guaranteed to destroy who they go after. Also it would take 3 other players to destroy them, as they will both defend themselves, or could we just attack one or the other? Personally I think that they are just one power so should only get one attack/defense per round, that would be the problem with running a single power with two people, 2x the ideas but the power should be split, not multiplied by 2 then split, same with all the arms races.

But as for Forrester, if she/he has no commitment then we do not need him/her. I say give Toril to someone who wants it (and a HUGE PL boost) but it would have to be one of the good guys. This could easily be done as the UC has decided to put Forrester up for war crimes, for murdering millions of allied forces with careless disregard for their lives.

I think that Sollir deserves THe Unseelie, besided Tokiwong and him all of the players without 11th level magic are good, and he is chaotic evil, perfectly suitable.

Last edited:

Remove ads