First Post
Comments appreciated.

[sblock=The Obvious Class Conversions]
Obvious Class Conversion
First, getting these out of the way.
Barbarian, Berserker: Use a Fighter.
Bard, War-Bard: Use a Warmaster.
Cleric: Use a Cleric.
Druid: Use the Druid presented on these forums, or a Wizard with different looking spell effects.
Fighter: Use a Fighter.
Monk: Use a Fighter.
Paladin: Use a Paladin.
Ranger, Scout: Use a Ranger (probably ranged).
Rogue: Use a Rogue.
Sorceror: Use a Warlock.
Wizard: Use a Wizard.
[/sblock]

[sblock=IK-specific Classes]
Iron Kingdoms Specific Classes
Thoughts on the not-so-obvious ones.
Arcane Mechanik: Wizard who selects the Charge Accumulator feat (basically, making it safer and more efficient - those not trained can accidently drain their encounter and daily powers into the condensors). Accumulators and spell charges are a bit more difficult to represent in 4e mainly due to how best to reflect at-wills charging the condensors and accumulators but most of the mechanika work just fine - especially if you simply convert the 3e spell effects into 4e terms where applicable - mechanika already used a rather limited array of arcane and divine spells that, for the most part, fit into 4e as a new power source.
Bodger: Use the Artificer, probably with an alternative set of powers? This one is a bit tricky as many of the bodger powers are basically useless unless you have a lot of mechanika in your party or adventures.
Fell Caller: Basically a loud warmaster.
Gun Mage: Wizard who selects Attune Gunlock and similar feats (see below).
[/sblock]

Healing
This is difficult to reflect in 4e due to the much more prevalent nature of healing among various power sources and the fact that healing backlash would significantly alter the power of the cleric, paladin, and warmaster classes (at the very least). Limiting resurrection is pretty simple, and many of the ritual magics are simply not available in the IK, or heavily limited in effect. Still thinking about this, as it's a major point of divergence that IK had from 3e.

Guns
Seems fairly straightforward, see later post.

Heroic Feats

Attune Gunlock [Wizard]
Prerequisites: Wizard
Benefit: You may treat a gunlock as a wand implement. In addition, as long as you wield a gunlock in your hands you gain a +2 feat bonus to initiative.

Paragon Feats

Gunmage [Wizard]
Prerequisites: Attune Gunlock, wizard
Benefit: Once per encounter, as a move action, you may focus the next ranged attack spell you cast through your gunlock. The attack roll becomes Dexterity vs. Reflex, with a Range equal to the max range of the gunlock.

guybrush

First Post
Some more excellent work - I like that it's all a lot simpler than some of the stuff on the Privateer Press boards.

I've been working on an Adventuring Scholar paragon path for Rangers, which is based on the Beast Stalker. Intended modifications include bonuses to Monster Knowledge checks instead of (as well as?) damage for chosen creature type, and replacing the Utility Power with something with the right flavour. I'd also allow it to be taken by either Ranger build; Victor Pendrake favoured a massive sword over a bow and arrow.

guybrush

First Post
Comments appreciated.

Obvious Class Conversion
Bard, War-Bard: Use a Warmaster.

Iron Kingdoms Specific Classes
Fell Caller: Basically a loud warmaster.

I'm assuming you mean Warlord for both of these?

As for healing, perhaps Healing Word and any other Healing powers with the Divine power source which let others spend healing surges work as if a healing surge had been spent, but cause some kind of backlash on the caster? Perhaps the caster has to spend their own healing surge, even for powers where this is not normally the case? There don't seem to be too many "I spend lose mine so you can can spend yours" powers, so this might model it well.

Tzeentch

First Post
Oops. Yes, warlord :)

I'm still pondering the healing issue. I do not think it's a good idea to stack on too many penalties to the 4e healing because that screws a lot of things up. To preserve balance and keep the IK feel I would probably assign penalties based on the difference of faith between the person instigating the healing surge/power and the person using it (which is one aspect of the healing limitations used in the IKCG). That is, is a cleric of Morrow uses an ability that lets the Cyriss-worshipping rogue use a healing surge, it will be less effective. In any case, only radical departures in faiths or outright heresy (Morrow follower healing a Devourer worshipper or similar) will cause the big problems.

First I'd like to say how awesome IK would be in 4e as the mechanics is closer to Warmachine/Hordes than 3e.

Second, you're right about classes being pretty straight forward. The IK ranger is the 4e Ranger. For the Arcane Mechanik I'd suggest using the Artificer from Eberron (after all, it was Eberron that stole the AM rules why not take it back ;)). They have rules for magically repairing machines and magically creating machines (like Darius or the IC Combine). There's a Dragon Magazine preview that gives some details as a WiP.

Third, healing. For divine healing you could use skill checks. Use the Religion skill and provide a DC:

DC 15 + 1/2 Character level
+1 for each time the cleric heals
+2 for every "position" the targets alignment is away from the deity's
+2 for Menoth worshipers healing infidels
+2 for Cyriss, Devourer, Dhunia, and Thamar to heal worshippers or Menoth
+1 for Nyssor and Scyrah to heal other people than their own

The healing chart should give penalties and drain healing surges. Something like this:

Healing Backlash
1-10 Tired: Character suffers a -1 penalty to attacks and skill checks until the next milestone.
11-15 Drained: As tired plus the character loses one healing surge.
16-20 Divine Suffering: The character is Weakened and suffers the effects of tired until the next milestone. In addition, the character loses one healing surge.

It's much lighter than 3e but the healing in 4e is already capped.

The Bodger should be a Martial Leader/Striker hybrid. They should have some abilities like an Arcane Mechanik but other abilities like a Rogue. Alternatively, I was thinking that the Bodger could be a Paragon class for Rogues rather than a new class.

However, it might just be easier to create a few utilities for Rogues that will allow them to "pad out" the Bodger option within the Rogue class. Looking at the Bodger, most of their abilities would be better served as Rogue utilities like Toss a Hammer at It or Give it a Good Kick. Both of those abilities are eerily similar in function to exploits like Foil the Lock and Quick Fingers. This would be much easier than designing a new class. It allows us to create all of the utilities and drop them in the Rogue Class without having to worry about class powers. The prereq would be Trained in Arcane. Done.

Continuing with this approach we could just add "gun" as a Warlock implement/pact allowing them to be Gun Mages. The gun pact would use DEX instead of CHA or CON and the eldritch blast would be DEX based as well. This allows them to wear leather armor, have a decent AC (which Gun Mages are notoriously hard to hit in WM) and gives them concealment (a useful power when dueling ;)). The Gun pact would require creating some new powers but I don't mind.

It's 2am now, I'm signing off. Going to dream about Gun mages, Fell Callers, and Goreshade :cool:

Weapons and Armor

Iron Kingdoms has several weapons and armors that don't have a simple conversion. Granted, most can be shoved into a group making it simpler to convert. Others require a new ruleset to better represent their abilities in 4e.

Superior Melee Weapons: One Handed
Name Prof. Dmg Weight Group Properties
Dirk, Cryxian +3 1D6 2lbs Lgt Bld High Crit. Counts as dagger

Superior Melee Weapons: Two Handed
Name Prof. Dmg Weight Group Properties
Nyss Claymore +3 1D10 5lbs Lgt Bld
Battle Glaive +2 1D12 15lbs Hvy Bld, Pole Arm High Crit.
Garrote +2 1D8 - Lgt Bld *special*
Note: Garrotes require combat advantage to use. If the attack hits the target is grabbed and grants combat advantage to the wielder while the grab is maintained. Targets suffer a -2 penalty to escape the grab.

Superior Ranged Weapons: One Handed
Name Prof. Range Dmg Weight Group Properties
Pistol +2 10/20 1D8 4lbs Crossbow,Bow High Crit.

Superior Ranged Weapons: Two Handed
Name Prof. Range Dmg Weight Group Properties
Rifle +2 20/40 1D10 4lbs Crossbow,Bow High Crit.
Long Rifle +2 30/60 1D12 4lbs Crossbow,Bow High Crit.

For Armor I think we could just add the Greatcoats as Leather and Reinforced Greatcoats as Hide. The only difference is they can be donned in a single round.

IK Specific Races

Trollkin

There are two varieties of Trollkin, sorcerers and warriors.
Sorcerer Ability Scores: +2 Constitution, +2 Charisma
Warrior Ablitity Scores: +2 Strength, +2 Constitution
Size: Medium
Speed: 6
Vision: Low-Light

Languages: Cygnaran, Molgur
Skill Bonuses: +2 Athletics, +2 Intimidate (Warriors) or +2 Arcana (Sorcerers)
Poison Resistance: +5 to Saves vs Poison
Toughness: Add Constitution modifier to Healing Surge value
Oversized: You can use weapons of your size or one size larger than you as if they were your size.

Improved Healing
Trollkin Racial Power - At Will
Free Action
As long as you are bloodied, you gain regeneration 2 (regeneration 4 at 11th level, regeneration 6 at 21st level)

IK Languages

Iron Kingdoms is a culture rich setting. All characters, even humans, are given greater variation than other "D&D" settings. Languages in particular are given special attention. Some additional rules need to be implemented so the PC's don't look at each other, shrugging their shoulders at the pantomime :confused:

Additional Starting Languages:
Characters receive additional languages equal to 1/2 their Int Modifier rounded down.

Linguist
Prerequisites - Int 13
The character learns one additional language, plus one for every one-half character level (rounded down).

A slight modification in Linguist allows the "talker" to gain new languages with new levels, growing to meet the needs of the campaign.

I'd probably have for the firearms.

Small Pistol: 1d8 Range: 10/20 High crit, Prof: +2, reload standard
Military Pistol: 1d10 Range: 10/20 High crit, Prof: +2, reload standard

Long Rifle: 1d10 Range: 25/50 High crit, Prof: +2, reload standard
Military Rifle: 2d6 Range: 20/40 High crit, Prof: +2, reload standard

They do less damage in dice, simply because in 4e dex adds to damage rolls.
And the firearm variants generally do the same damage, none of the weird -'s to damage.
A rapid reload feat generally reducing reload times down to move actions, with some powers allowing for quicker reloading.

For example.

Arcane Loading (Gun Mage Attack 1)
At Will * Arcane, Weapon
Standard Action
Ranged Weapon
Special:
Must be using a pistol
Target: One Creature
Attack: Dexterity vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Dexterity or Charisma Modifier Damage.
Effect: Pistol is fully reloaded after your attack.
Special: You may use this power as a basic ranged attack.

Remove ads