Iron Kingdoms "Mechanika"?

Arnwyn

First Post
Does anyone know which Iron Kingdoms book has the "mechanika" item creation rules? Does this book also have steamjack creation rules (and if not, which book does, if any)?

And, if anyone wants to go further: any comments on how those rules would work in an otherwise 'fairly-core-rules' campaign?

And even further: any comments on other books out there that has 'steamtech-like' item creation rules?

Soel

First Post
Liber Mekanika's rules made it seem like they didn't want you to bother with using magic items at all, or so said my dm. Very unnecessarily complicated.

Arnwyn

First Post
Thanks, everyone!

Ouch, Soel. While I don't mind complicated, your DM does make it sound not worth it.

Does anyone know of other 'steamtech' related books? Did EN Publishing release one?

lukelightning

First Post
Soel said:
Liber Mekanika's rules made it seem like they didn't want you to bother with using magic items at all, or so said my dm. Very unnecessarily complicated.

I agree. All those component thingies are the type of things that should be "behind the scenes." The character who is creating the magic item needs to know about arcane reactor, mekani-whatsies and hoozadoodles. The players themselves shouldn't need to know that.

It would be simpler to enforce prerequisites such as needing a certain skill in mechanika or some feat to make items, and possibly change the cost/value of certain items.

Stormborn

Explorer
Ditto. Like so many other things with IK the flavor is great but the mechanics are either needlessly complex, flawed, or both. As Luke said, require some skill prerequsites and just use normal rules and make up your own flavor stuff. If you are interested in things like steamjacks/golems might I recommend Golemcraft.

Remove ads