• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Iron Kingdoms rules question

Arrgh! Mark!

First Post
If anyone can clear this up for me I'd be grateful.

A gunmage can apparently channel a spell into a rune bullet, which does extra damage. However, does the spell go off normally, or does the spell energy just go strait into the damage?

I.e.

Gunmage channels a third level spell into a rune bullet. Does the damage do pistol plus 3d6 (for second level spell) plus say, lighning bolt damage plus modifiers, or does it just have the pistol damage +3d6 + other modifiers?

Thanks guys!

Karl Green

First Post
No, they can't fire a bullet the same time they 'channel' a spell through the pistol... the advantages are that you get the gun's range increments AND any and all bonus that you would get when attacking normally with your pistol - i.e. if the gunmage has Weapon Focus (pistols) and/or Masterwork and/or the Accurate firearm upgrade, they ALL count as bonuses to hit for that spell (most of which are touch attacks also). I don't have my book with me but I thought there was some other advantage also that I just am drawning a blank on

nyrfherdr

First Post
Karl, I think you are answering the question a different way.

There are 2 special abilities to consider. I'm paraphrasing here:
Arcane Focus. Gunmages can cast ray spells 'through' their pistol using their Attack Bonus of the pistol as the ranged attack. He cannot fire a bullet and channel a ray spell at the same time.

The pistol also acts as a Focus for spells for components less than 100gp in value.

Rune Cast Bullets: A gunmage can create rune bullets that can have spell power channeled into them. This spell power is in the form of Force Damage equal to 1d6xspell level. So a second level spell would add 2d6 force damage. There is also an enhancement bonus based on level starting at +1 at 6th level.

At higher levels, the gunmage can cast Ranged Touch attacks and fire a RuneCast bullet at the same time with the potential of both spell effect and bullet damage (if both the touch attack regular ranged attack hit). Later, he can cast Touch attacks in this way.

The caster cannot channel a spell into a bullet that is delivering a Ranged Touch or Touch attack. (In other words you can't cast a spell through the pistol and also channel a spell for additional Force damage) it is either or.

I hope that helps.
Game ON!

Arrgh! Mark!

First Post
Thanks guys, that clears it up. I was looking at the text and it didn't have the all encompassing or in it - just that you could "channel" a spell through a rune bullet to get extra damage.

So you don't also get the spells damage, just the force damage. Sounds fair to me.

Remove ads