Iron DM 2023 Scheduling Thread

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Spoiler to keep out Gradine until his judgement is in....
I'm going to laugh all week at our disagreement over Kettle and Cauldron. While similar, I consider them distinct cooking implements (one to cook, especially stews, another to boil water specifically).

And if that is not the DUMBEST thing to have an Iron DM debate over, I'll eat my shoe.
View attachment 330659

:)

Counterpoint-

A fine kettle of fish.

Pot calling the kettle black.

A kettle has always meant a cooking pot; it’s only recently taken on the more specific meaning when people refer to a tea kettle.

But that’s just because people often drop off the “tea” part.

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
Counterpoint-

A fine kettle of fish.

Pot calling the kettle black.

A kettle has always meant a cooking pot; it’s only recently taken on the more specific meaning when people refer to a tea kettle.

But that’s just because people often drop off the “tea” part.
Concession
Yes, actually, I see that you're right. Mea Culpa.

If my overall judgement had been closer, I would offer to go back and edit that correction in -- and later I'll go in and add a note for the record. For now, I'll be the guy who was wrong on the internet for a bit.

-rg

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Concession
Yes, actually, I see that you're right. Mea Culpa.

If my overall judgement had been closer, I would offer to go back and edit that correction in -- and later I'll go in and add a note for the record. For now, I'll be the guy who was wrong on the internet for a bit.

-rg
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Judging being slightly arbitrary is, I think, a feature, not a flaw of Iron DM. You have to please the judges, which includes pleasing their knowledge and preferences. It's not a lot different than if one of us had used an obscure game that you needed to be familiar with, IMO.

Personally, I LOVE Snarf's attempts to hit the Ingredients from an odd-angle rather than head-on, but it has its risks.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Congratulations to our two finalists: @Whizbang Dustyboots and @Snarf Zagyg!

With Thanksgiving approaching in the United States, and my increasingly limited time, it would behoove us to get the final match scheduled quickly. I would not want us to overlap with the holiday, so I would recommend a start date of no earlier than Sunday, the 26th. Please let us know your availability, and we'll get the match scheduled.

I also want to mention that, in the past, we have offered a "3rd Place" exhibition match to those who fell short of the finals match. Traditionally, this involves a demonstration of the rules of our very first tournament: 6 ingredients, no word limit, 1 hour to complete. This tends to produce results that are intense, quick, and frankly, incredibly silly. It's all for fun, so there is no obligation to participate. I would want to have both of our participants and all our judges on board before committing. @FitzTheRuke and @Iron Sky, I put the call to you first: are you interested in participating in this exhibition match?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'm not sure. I think if I had proper time to devote to it, I'd have done much better last round. A single hour, though? I might be able to force myself to do it, if @Iron Sky wants to do it.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Congratulations to our two finalists: @Whizbang Dustyboots and @Snarf Zagyg!

With Thanksgiving approaching in the United States, and my increasingly limited time, it would behoove us to get the final match scheduled quickly. I would not want us to overlap with the holiday, so I would recommend a start date of no earlier than Sunday, the 26th. Please let us know your availability, and we'll get the match scheduled.

I also want to mention that, in the past, we have offered a "3rd Place" exhibition match to those who fell short of the finals match. Traditionally, this involves a demonstration of the rules of our very first tournament: 6 ingredients, no word limit, 1 hour to complete. This tends to produce results that are intense, quick, and frankly, incredibly silly. It's all for fun, so there is no obligation to participate. I would want to have both of our participants and all our judges on board before committing. @FitzTheRuke and @Iron Sky, I put the call to you first: are you interested in participating in this exhibition match?
I'm off visiting relatives for the holiday; wouldn't be able to do it until Monday or later, but I'd be down if we were cool to start after that.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
@Whizbang Dustyboots and @Snarf Zagyg, will a Sunday night starting time of 9:00pm EST work for the two of you?

1700862917347.gif

Remove ads