• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Iron Man

John Crichton

First Post
Krug said:
Would be interesting to see how it all ties up together, and I expect
Rhodes to put on that suit at some point.
Future movie spoiler:

Already confirmed that War Machine will be in the sequels.

Who is 'Happy'?

I know Tony Stark, Pepper Potts, and Jeff Lebowski, and apparently that guy who in Crash was married to the girl who was in Chronicles of Riddick was playing some airforce guy named Roadie, but who was 'Happy'?

Cthulhudrew

First Post
RangerWickett said:
Who is 'Happy'?

Harold "Happy" Hogan (played by Jon Favreau in the movie) is Tony Stark's longtime chauffeur. He's also a former professional boxer, and eventually ends up marrying Pepper Potts in the comics.

and apparently that guy who in Crash was married to the girl who was in Chronicles of Riddick was playing some airforce guy named Roadie, but who was 'Happy'?

Rhodey, actually. A nickname for James Rhodes, who is Tony's pilot in the comic.

Krug said:
I think you could have the names and it would probably be meaningless to non-Iron Man readers. Would they care about Happy Hogan? Favreau kept it simple and straight and rightly made Downey the focus.

Not the point, though. The point is- why wouldn't you give names to characters that appear in the movie, especially characters that are likely to return for the sequels? Doesn't matter if its a comic movie or a book movie or a movie movie. Basic element of storytelling- identify your characters to the reader. Otherwise you have about as much attachment to the characters as that guy who has worked in your office with you for the last five years whose name you don't know but you are always saying "Hey!" to or giving the acknowledging head nod when you pass by him at the water cooler.

Which is to say, none at all.

Shayuri

First Post
I really liked the movie.

Of course, I see it as an "origin story," much as Spiderman 1 was the origin story of Spiderman. The plot of the movie followed the inspiration, design and perfection of the Iron Man suit...the battle at the end only served to demonstrate that.

While the point that it could have done more is valid, I think that it covered the essentials very well, and that it accomplished what it tried to do very well. There were no awkward squirmy moments in Iron Man where the scene just wasn't working, as there were in Spiderman. For that alone, I rank Iron Man above the first Spiderman, and certainly on par with the second. Its flaws are not in the execution of its ambition...but in the limits of its ambition.

I would have liked to have seen more of the finished suit kicking butt...but I suppose that's what sequels are for. :)

Last edited:

Silver Moon

Adventurer
So one of my best friends runs a Comic Book shop here in New Hampshire. Yesterday a group of teenagers stopped by after seeing the movie and asked him "Have they made any comic books with Iron Man?" He suppressed his laughter and introduced them to what they had of the 45 years worth of back issues.

Psion

Adventurer
Alzrius said:
Holy freaking CRAP was that movie incredible!!!

Seriously, I think this actually ranks as the single best Marvel movie yet made - in my opinion, this beat out all of the Spider-Man and X-Men films. Hell, it even beat Batman Begins. This movie was just THAT good!

I didn't think it was that good.

Among Marvel flicks, I'd place it #4 after the first 2 Xmen and SM 2.

Psion said:

I consider it the second best (adapted) superhero movie after the original Chris Reeve Superman. Unbreakable is up there too.

I saw it this morning, and as a long time Iron Man fan, I loved this. This is the tony I knew and loved years ago.... just wish they'd bring him back into the comics. :)

With the cameo in the new Hulk Movie, a Captain America and Thor movie in the works (and Marvel producing them), the after credits thing warmed my heart to no end. :)

Fallen Seraph

First Post
It was great.

As for future movies, I suspect that while there will be a Avengers movie. I don't think they will play a direct role in future Iron Man movies. It will be like the comics where we have the Iron Man comics and the Avengers comic.

I suspect future plot-line: War Machine, Tony Stark dealing with alcoholism, and more hints of Mandarin (I spent the movie looking for all the hints I could find).

Trickstergod

First Post
Psion said:

While I don't think I'd place it higher than Batman Begins, among the Marvel movies, I easily place it above everything except perhaps X-Men 2. And even that's questionable.

It was a solid movie all around.

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
Krug said:
They're good but didn't blow me away. Downey actually spends a lot of time outside the suit. You won't find anything in there that exceeds Transformers for sure.

Certainly Transformers had more flash and special effects, and one might argue that its special effects were better.

However, in terms of substance, I think Iron Man is the clear winner.

Remove ads