Ironwood spell and a druid's weapon limitations

adndgamer

First Post
In the PHB, under the Iron Wood spell description, it says that you can make plate armor and swords out of wood that druids can use. Now, for swords, can they be any swords? I'd suppose so, but would like to be sure, as druids do take an oath which restricts which weapons they may use.

Someguy

First Post
Yes...and I would rule that they could use Various plate armours too...I also apply thtis to specialty hides like Dragon scales...they can be used to amke Plate armiurs but count as "hide", becuase that's what it is in effect....

adndgamer

First Post
CRGreathouse said:
The ycan make any swords with ironwood, but their oaths still stop them from using all but the scimitar.

That's what I'm debating.. What would the point of a wood scimitar be when they could use a real one?

The appropriate quote from Iron Wood spell says "Thus, wooden plate armor and wooden swords can be created that are as durable as their normal, steel counterparts. These items are freely usable by druids." (page 219 in PHB)

It says "swords".. Multiple, whereas the druid only has 1 sword available, which would make me think they can make and use any swords as long as they're not made of metal. However, then there's:

"Their spiritual oaths prohibit them from using weapons other than these." (page 34 in PHB).

Tetsubo

First Post
I think the ironwood spell opens up a lot of possibilities for Druids. I've always liked this spell.

In a campaignidea I had there was a lower powered version of it. The forest elves have a way to change wood so that it has the characteristics of bronze.

Another group of elves based on a Greek city state structure havethe ability to harden bronze so that it functions like steel.

Both groups are keeping the processes secret. :)

Gaiden

Explorer
The intent of this spell is to allow druids to use items they would normally not have access to. Whether or not you require the druid to have a proficiency for it is up to the DM.

Abraxas

Explorer
You might want to check out the Errata Center here at EN World. Under Players Handbook errata, near the beginning, is the following:

Druids and Ironwood: WotC's Sean Reynolds indicates that you might want to get out a pen and change a word in the "Weapon and Armor Proficiency" section for the Druid class: Jonathan Tweet says the reference to ironwood in the druid Weapon and Armor Proficiency section was supposed to refer to "armor," not "items."

Remove ads