D&D 2E Is 5e Basically Becoming Pathfinder 2e?

I also have to add that I have yet to meet anyone, in person or, so far as I remember, even online, who felt that the UA options were as official as printed options, or who demanded they be included in a game.

Anecdotal, sure, but it's not like UA isn't completely clear on what it is and isn't.

@pming you have had 18 hours and 69 posts since your OP. Care to add to the discussion you started?
Whoa whoa whoa. Let's not go there. Dirty pool, man. All of us have real lives. None of us is under any obligation to check and respond to a fantasy gaming website multiple times per day.

Hell, the fact that most of us do probably doesn't say great things about us.

Hussar

Legend
From a purely personal perspective, I probably wouldn't play in this proposed game either. I've had far too many negative experiences with DM's that I didn't know very well to simply trust that this or that DM will be fun.

And, yeah, if I called up, after reading an ad like PM Ming's, and the first thing I hear is a shopping list of restrictions, there'd be big alarm bells going off in my head. Not because Pm Ming is a bad DM or anything like that, but, because I've had so many negative experiences with DM's that basically began off exactly the same way - the DM telling me that this shopping list of things in the game is off the table.

I know correlation and causation and all that, but, it's been my experience that I won't enjoy a DM's game that starts off with that many restrictions. So, I cannot really blame the players for bowing out of the game. I know that I would.

dave2008

Legend
Whoa whoa whoa. Let's not go there. Dirty pool, man. All of us have real lives. None of us is under any obligation to check and respond to a fantasy gaming website multiple times per day.

Hell, the fact that most of us do probably doesn't say great things about us.
Good points. I'm usually more level headed about these things, we all have off days ;)

Last edited:

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
And, yeah, if I called up, after reading an ad like PM Ming's, and the first thing I hear is a shopping list of restrictions, there'd be big alarm bells going off in my head.

I've had the opposite experience. The "everything including the kitchen sink" DM's are usually the worst. Those who've got restrictions, as long as those restrictions seem well thought out, have generally been the ones who I've found to understand the game and its requirements the best.

These are the guidelines I'm using for an upcoming ToA campaign:

Character Creation & Maintenance
Characters must be created in D&D Beyond.
Characters must use fixed hit points (select on character creation).
Variant: Customising Ability Scores is required for character creation.
Variant: Encumbrance rules will be enforced (select on character creation).
Characters will level up using Experience Points (select on character creation).
You must complete the Character Details section in the character creator.
You must complete the Physical Characteristics section in the character creator.
You must complete the Personal Characteristics section in the character creator.
You must complete the Notes section in the character creator.
Characters must be kept up to date in D&D Beyond.
All resources (water, food, ammunition, & light sources, etc.) must be tracked.
No homebrew content will be allowed for character creation.
No Unearthed Arcana content will be allowed for character creation.
No aarakocra, or winged tieflings allowed.

Rules in Play
Inspiration will not be used in play.
Please take note of the Other Activities rules.
Please take note of the Vision and Light rules.
Ability Option: Hero Points will be in play.
Combat Option: Action Options will be in play.
Combat Option: Injuries will be in play (using the Alternate Injury Table).
Combat Option: Massive Damage will be in play.
Optional Rule: Diagonals will be in play.
Variant: Mixing Potions rules are in play.
Variant: More Difficult Identification rules are in play.
Variant: Scroll Mishap rules are in play.
Variant: Skills with Different Abilities rules are in play.
Variant: Wands That Don't Recharge rules are in play (25 charges).

House Rules
Hero Points can be used on the Alternate Injury Table & System Shock rolls.
Using the Alternate Injury Table in place of the Lingering Injuries table.

Scared homie?

Last edited:

jimtillman

Explorer
nah 5th ed has years at this rate before it has near pathfinders range of options,thats not to knock 5th but its very simple and i find it a bit restritive
though it has started to add enough options to make it interesting for me and i run and play it along with a few other games

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Scared homie?
Those aren't even restrictions for the most part. It's a bog-standard PHB+SCAG+Volos+Xanathar (I'm assuming, as it says Beyond:Yes, and doesn't list source restrictions), with a detailed list of what variants from the DMG you're using. And a long section telling you to fill out your character sheet. It's about as scary as an overeager TA back in college. :)

Remove ads