D&D 5E Is 5E Special

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Considering my comment originally was my ruminations on the idea of 5e being special and essentially saying “right idea, right time like the early years” then your comment was a bunch of hot air to refute me because you thought I was calling it special. The misunderstanding is on you to figure out here because your brain is the one that inserted the word “special” into my post. My only “failure” could be wading into a 60 page post and not being buggered enough to read the whole blamed thing to know what you’re arguing with everyone about at this juncture.
I never said you failed to do anything--neither the word "fail" nor the word "failure" appears anywhere in my post--so I'm not sure where you got that idea from.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
It's probably the best idea in D&D since ascending AC...and probably before.
IMO, there is no comparison between the two. Ascending AC is completely identical to descending AC. In WotC's editions it makes the design more compact since AC can be simply defined as the DC of attack rolls, but it is otherwise functionally completely equivalent.

Advantage, on the other hand, is truly different from just using modifiers.

IMO, there is no comparison between the two. Ascending AC is completely identical to descending AC. In WotC's editions it makes the design more compact since AC can be simply defined as the DC of attack rolls, but it is otherwise functionally completely equivalent.
i have to disagree with a pro and a con...

in 2e at least we had a range of 10--10 (so20pt spread) something no WotC version has duplicated... either in 3e where 30 or 40 pt spread were possible with some creatures could have 8 and some epic PCs could have 30's or 40's easy. and in 5e now seeiing a monster with over 20 (old AC 0) is so rare most of us could not name them... CR 20+s have 17 18 or 19 ACs

ease of table use... even the playerss that had the best chance at doing the "did I hit" math at the table had an adjusted thac0 on there sheet (example I have a 17 thac0 and +3 to hit from magic +2 from str and +1 from specialization so instead of writing 17 +6 I would right 17 (11)) and would take at least a little time to do the math "I rolled a 14 my adjusted Thac0 is 11 so I hit a -3" but even people not good at math and little to no prep can do I rolled 14+6 I hit a 20." quicker

Eric V

Hero
I guess what I struggle with is this.

Is it really hard to believe that most players find 5e easier to just sit down and play than nearly any other edition?
No. I doubt anyone is finding that hard to believe, especially with the "nearly" qualifier in there.

But the question asked was: Is there something special about 5E that created this moment (of intense popularity)?

And people just look at all the other factors and think that no, it wasn't the simplicity of the game that created the moment, but rather these other factors.

That doesn't mean it didn't contribute at all, just not necessarily in a unique and or majority-responsibility way.

And...that's it. Because everything is just pure conjecture. We'll never know, because we have no idea how to isolate these other factors, we lack a palantir, etc. The question is basically just asking about people's instincts over the whole thing. Any claim to actual knowledge here is just a statement about the claimant.

clearstream

(He, Him)
No. I doubt anyone is finding that hard to believe, especially with the "nearly" qualifier in there.

But the question asked was: Is there something special about 5E that created this moment (of intense popularity)?

And people just look at all the other factors and think that no, it wasn't the simplicity of the game that created the moment, but rather these other factors.

That doesn't mean it didn't contribute at all, just not necessarily in a unique and or majority-responsibility way.

And...that's it. Because everything is just pure conjecture. We'll never know, because we have no idea how to isolate these other factors, we lack a palantir, etc. The question is basically just asking about people's instincts over the whole thing. Any claim to actual knowledge here is just a statement about the claimant.
Some people. The other factors contributed, and there was something special about the game.

Have we reached the trading of assertions part of the discussion? :unsure: That said, I think your last thought is right: no one has yet suggested any convincing way to isolate and prove which are the contributing factors. I have looked at the %age positive and %age negative review rates for a range of RPGs, and read the testimonials, and it seems to me that it is something about the game design that is "special" in driving success for a wide audience over and above contextual factors. It's form and function, as well as position. I look at the design, and as I (like most here) have a thorough knowledge of the previous editions, it looks to my expert eye to be an especially nice piece of design work. Is it perfect? No. Is it special? Yes. At least in my view. And it's not alone in contemporary RPGs that are also special (in their different ways.)

Last edited:

Eric V

Hero
Some people. The other factors contributed, and there was something special about the game.

Have we reached the trading of assertions part of the discussion? :unsure: That said, I think your last thought is right: no one has yet suggested any way for isolating the factors: it's just down to intuitions.
Sigh.

Yes, of course "some." Yeesh! When I wrote "people", I was referring to the people that (at least seemed to be) the ones that @doctorbadwolf thought found it "hard to believe that most players find 5e easier to just sit down and play than nearly any other edition."

clearstream

(He, Him)
Yes, of course "some." Yeesh! When I wrote "people", I was referring to the people that (at least seemed to be) the ones that @doctorbadwolf thought found it "hard to believe that most players find 5e easier to just sit down and play than nearly any other edition."
Got it! And see my further thoughts in the edited version.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases