D&D 5E Is 5e the Least-Challenging Edition of D&D?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Ha, I never thought about that. We have mostly martial characters and no one has a negative number. I would ignore negative numbers and say a minimum of 1 if that came up.
Makes sense.

Yes that is all very similar to what we do (except the -10 for death and consciousness check - which is an idea I like and may have to bring up to my group)
If you want to check it out, the full write-up on how we do hit points is here:

The rules around curing and resting are here:

Well, it doesn't make them squishier, it just makes them relatively more squishy.
Same net result, IMO. :)

The squishies are still getting a total HP (including BHP) boost and get the benefit of any armor they are using. It is just the tanks are more tanky, IMO, because they can withstand a few hits, even when everything is on the line.
Is this in response to martials having too high a mortality rate compared to squishies in your games?

I ask because if it's not, you might be really tilting things farther in favour of martials than you realize.

Oofta

Legend
I kinda disagree with this on one level: GMs are almost always doing something that players tend to hate, and that's enforcing the rules. If such is done fairly and evenly, that's a mark of a good GM no matter what the players think.

Umm ... we have different philosophies and play styles then. My players don't hate it even when I'm doing my best to kill off their PC. We've discussed how deadly the campaign will be in a session 0 and I make it clear that even if I'm not running a "killer" game there's still no guarantees their PC won't die.

Well, I had one player who hated it when he wasn't completely dominating play, but that's a different story.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Umm ... we have different philosophies and play styles then. My players don't hate it even when I'm doing my best to kill off their PC. We've discussed how deadly the campaign will be in a session 0 and I make it clear that even if I'm not running a "killer" game there's still no guarantees their PC won't die.
Oh, my players don't hate that I'm out to get 'em...except, that is, when I do get 'em... :) (actually I looked at the numbers the other night, and for the most part now we're into decent levels the overall death rate has gone way down; even more so if the self-inflicted-by-idiocy ones are taken out of the data. But low level is a meat grinder)

Players everywhere however - including mine, and including me - chafe at rules and thus at those who enforce them.

Well, I had one player who hated it when he wasn't completely dominating play, but that's a different story.
Yeah, I hear you. :)

dave2008

Legend
If you want to check it out, the full write-up on how we do hit points is here:

The rules around curing and resting are here:

I'll check it out - thanks!

Is this in response to martials having too high a mortality rate compared to squishies in your games?

I ask because if it's not, you might be really tilting things farther in favour of martials than you realize.
No, but we are low on squishies. We have a wizard, a thief, a ranger (homebrew spell less), and two fighters. It takes a lot for me to get to that wizard.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
\
You point is quite valid, but it's trickier than just 'player' or 'GM' as many of us are both.

And I know that in many ways my own answers to various game-related questions would be (and are!) quite different were I to answer as a player vs answer as a GM.

What's needed are surveys and research geared specifically toward each group, with enough overlap in the questions etc. that the researchers would also be able to tell how much viewpoint variance comes from the role.
That's why I phrased some of the example questions the way I did where they were worded specifically to ask for things like how you feel when x happens to you as opposed to if touch AC attacks is a good tool for countering very high ac characters. A good survey should have questiond phrased to gather different viewpoints based on the demographics of those you are concerned about when you have a situation like some people are gm's almost exclusively, many people are almost exclusively players, & some people are both.

Lets say that people who are almost exlusively gm's & people who are both player as well as GM have statistically similar viewpoints on the gm-centric questions... If that's the case then the demographic split is not especially relevant for those questions. If those two groups have huge differences of opinion on those questions then perhaps the other questions or more questioning is in order.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Random events with no purpose, premonition, logic, or reason are bad form regardless of whether or not they kill anybody. People will get bored and frustrated either way. Has nothing to do with rule set.

"You are walking down a hall. Whoops, you just triggered a trip wire. Okay, roll a save. Oh, you failed? DEAD."

That's naughty word. I never do that. That's what some people in this thread think a "challenge" is. IMO, that is me deciding that you should suddenly have a 35% chance of being done with your character.

If I have an instant death trap, it's a Disintegrate Glyph of Warding on an iron sarcophagus...in front of an altar to Iuz...submerged in a bath of blood...which is magically boiling...which can only be deconsecrated by getting the amulet off the powerful golem guarding it.

If you didn't cast Detect Magic on the thing and went home in an ashtray, that's on you.

Well, there are only two choices, aren't there? When the 14th-level module calls for rocs to attack the party, either I'm going to have them pick up their prey and dash them on the rocks, or I'm not going to. What I know about their character sheets will have absolutely zero effect on that decision...since it's logical for them to do that, they're going to. That's the point. I've heard people go as far as to say you shouldn't use flying enemies against all-melee party. My attitude is, flying enemies are out there, so don't be an all-melee party.

That is exactly what happened. I gave him two saving throws, too. One to grab onto the bridge, and another to grab onto a rock. Oh well!

We seem to be in agreement on all these. I don't think D&D culture advocates against these more than it ever has in the past. Some DMs are super light touches, some are rockfalls. But the culture overall is just moving more towards narrative cohesion rather than "can I kill this guy today" (basing that line off of the Knights of the Dinner Table for comedic effect.)

I’d like to chime in -above all, asking for advice. I have only DM’ed in 2e and 5e, and the lethality difference is conspicuous. I unintentionally killed 2e PCs often, whereas only one 5e PC has died in my games -others have not in spite of poor tactics. A problem of mine is that my games are quite heavy in terms of social interaction and intrigue, and so combat only takes place once during in-game time -if at all. Thus, the resources-based system is against PCs feeling threatened. I would not like to come up with exaggerated threats, so I’m at a loss. Once PCs feel invincible, the game is not as exciting. A cool thing is that my players are awesome and great roleplayers, so they don’t act like murder hobbos. Tips? Advice?

If you are heavy in intrigue, I'd say Poison, Magic, and shapechangers. All three are big, with various effects you can use.

For example, my DM had to specifically rewrite Dream because by RAW it is a near perfect assassination tool. If you can deny a long-rest by someone failing the save against Dream, then they do not gain any hp or spells back, and they take damage from the spell. One night of that will have your players scrambling to find the culprit.

Also, just homebrew stuff. One of the first things I thought about was a poison that is harmless, until you are exposed to a secondary poison that then has nasty effects. That doesn't exist in the game, but it easily could.

And Shapechangers, dang, a good shapechanger with some decent skills and stats can be a terrifying foe, because it causes so much paranoia amongst the party. Especially if you can convince a party member to act in place of the shapechanger for a quick scene, like they split up to investigate a party and the shapechanger sneaks over looking like a party member. They reveal a plan only for a few minutes later for the character to show up and them realize that they were lied to, or better yet, think the new person is the shapechanger.

It doesn't add combat challenge, but not knowing where your foe is or what they have planned is a big stress button for players. And if they are stressed they will feel more threatened even if in a straight fight they could take the individual out.

Allow me to enlighten then...

Tetrasodium has a good point here that shouldn't be dismissed, just because I think he would be better served with a different system. (the OSR is your friend dude...)

If 5e was moulded to the opinion surveys - who's opinion is more heavily weighted actually matters a lot in the overall game design.

Now separating the GM for player replys and giving them equal weight would be a zero guarantee that tetrasodium would like the system any better.

But the reason I think they should have been separated and given equal weight is quite simple: Without GM's no one can play!

5e would probably have been a bit different if GM's were given an equal voice to players in the survey.

And it would be to D&D's benefit when 6e rolls around to do so.

I see the point you are trying to make, but I don't think it was necessary for a pretty obvious reason.

Most DMs are far more active and responsive to surveys than players are.

For example, amongst all the tables, digital and real, that I play at, I am just about the only one that participated in the surveys and I'm generally the most knowledgeable about the UA articles and rulings. That puts me vs about... sixteen other people? Something like that anyways.

So, it is reasonable that the survey accounted for this weight (in statistical terms) when sifting through the data without any special effort needed on the end of us the public. I want to additionally note, there were professional survey testers involved in the process, easy to spot things like this were almost certainly addressed as they gathered and sifted through the data.

Asensur

Villager
I think the issue is just a matter of CR calculation and counting action economy of enemies (XP multiplier) when players already have area spells and the like.

Levels 1 and 2 are brutal though, and I was scared of what a small group of goblins could do to the PCs.

But I would easily throw Tiamat to a group of 4 lvl20 PCs.

I’d like to chime in -above all, asking for advice. I have only DM’ed in 2e and 5e, and the lethality difference is conspicuous. I unintentionally killed 2e PCs often, whereas only one 5e PC has died in my games -others have not in spite of poor tactics. A problem of mine is that my games are quite heavy in terms of social interaction and intrigue, and so combat only takes place once during in-game time -if at all. Thus, the resources-based system is against PCs feeling threatened. I would not like to come up with exaggerated threats, so I’m at a loss. Once PCs feel invincible, the game is not as exciting. A cool thing is that my players are awesome and great roleplayers, so they don’t act like murder hobbos. Tips? Advice?

Boost defenses. I once put a hill giant in plate armor and holeeeeee crap did the party have a far tougher time than I was used to. In 5e, your martials are your big hitters, so if you put a monster in studded leather that was formerly naked, make him resist all piercing (not just nonmagical) or upgrade his armor to +1 magic. In general, the higher level the monster in the MM, the more poorly it's designed, and the more of a pushover it probably is. There are too many ways to spike damage to the moon.

You also might want to check out the Tome of Beasts. The monsters in there are generally much tougher for their CR than 5e monsters. They're a little weird, but overall more challenging.

Agreed with what Oofta said about fighting dirty In addition, ambush the party more. A round where half the party is surprised and those first attacks are at advantage? Often puts them on their back foot right away.

We seem to be in agreement on all these. I don't think D&D culture advocates against these more than it ever has in the past. Some DMs are super light touches, some are rockfalls. But the culture overall is just moving more towards narrative cohesion rather than "can I kill this guy today" (basing that line off of the Knights of the Dinner Table for comedic effect.)

Ugh. I've also been told I should get player permission before killing somebody. Bro, GIANT SMASH. It's what he does!

Also, just homebrew stuff. One of the first things I thought about was a poison that is harmless, until you are exposed to a secondary poison that then has nasty effects. That doesn't exist in the game, but it easily could.

Can't be said enough. I strongly recommend against trying to rewrite core subsystems like how critical hits or hit points work because the game is deliberately open-ended enough to allow you to take it in a variety of directions. There is no RAW telling you what poisons, traps, monster abilities, magic items, etc have to do. Work within the system, not against it.

And Shapechangers, dang, a good shapechanger with some decent skills and stats can be a terrifying foe, because it causes so much paranoia amongst the party. Especially if you can convince a party member to act in place of the shapechanger for a quick scene, like they split up to investigate a party and the shapechanger sneaks over looking like a party member.

This is brilliant. My party would love doing this.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I would tend to agree with Zardnaar on the fact that resistance to non magic weapon is kinda of Meh!!!!!
It is so easily bypassed that it is almost a joke to low level characters. At higher level, IT is a joke. Resistance to non magical weapons should have been immunities and resistance to one type of damage. Take the Gargoyle, it should be immune to non magical weapons and resistant to piercing and slashing weapon. Magical blunt weapons would be quite effective. The same could be applied to some elements, for example our gargoyle could be immune/resistant to poison and fire. This would force casters to use some cantrips other than the firebolt we all see.

Unfortunately, making more monsters immune to magic weapons puts magic weapons back on the required list. And 5e moved away from that just as it moved away from having DR act as a complete block on characters who didn't have the right key to do damage to a monster and didn't do massive amounts of damage. And I'm convinced they made the right choice.

Remove ads