• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is 5e the Least-Challenging Edition of D&D?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
so you might want to work on your reading comprehension with all that spare time you'd have instead of spending hours here complaining.

Mod Note

Hey, @Lem23. You kind of lost the moral high ground here. If you have an issue with someone, getting insulting is unlikely to solve it. Next time, just report the post and ignore it, please.

The problem is that the dial is set wrong. Using video games as an example, OSR might be hard/nightmare & medium difficulty but 5e is unlimited lives and various other console codes in easy difficulty. Too many dials were adjusted with that goal you note & it results in the system binding a gm's hands by trivializing too many things. Sure it works great for a very specific type of game, but the system itself begins to fight the gm as soon as they start to edge even one toe outside the lines of that specific type of game

Have you tried having your PCs roll their stats 3d6 in order??

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Have you tried having your PCs roll their stats 3d6 in order??
I'm not sure the relevance but yea, it resulted in interesting build choices the players would nor normally consider. I took it an extra step & did reroll the entire array in order if you don't have at least two skills above 15 the time I tried it nut will probably do something else my next campaign so I can do other things as a gm

I'm not sure the relevance but yea, it resulted in interesting build choices the players would nor normally consider. I took it an extra step & did reroll the entire array in order if you don't have at least two skills above 15 the time I tried it nut will probably do something else my next campaign so I can do other things as a gm

My point is that the game can be made harder by weakening the PCs. Rolling 3d6 in order (without rerolling if their stats are low) is one way to achieve this. I imagine the game will be less easy if your stats are 11, 11, 8, 11, 9 and 7.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
My point is that the game can be made harder by weakening the PCs. Rolling 3d6 in order (without rerolling if their stats are low) is one way to achieve this. I imagine the game will be less easy if your stats are 11, 11, 8, 11, 9 and 7.
That's a single blunt & imprecise type of harder than the more fine grained & flexible array of tools in the gm toolbox capable of being deployed as needed to out the fear of got in some players or just drop them down a notch while simultaneously lifting other characters up a couple notches into the spotlight for a bit that were discussed in most of this thread. What you are suggesting is more like making every character on par with the stack of redshirts provided each plater during a dcc funnel.

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
What you are suggesting is more like making every character on paw with the stack of redshirts provided each plater during a dcc funnel.
Next time I start a campaign (whenever that may be) I am SO seriously considering using that DCC funnel method! New PCs and regional depopulation, all in one fell swoop! :)

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Next time I start a campaign (whenever that may be) I am SO seriously considering using that DCC funnel method! New PCs and regional depopulation, all in one fell swoop! :)
One of my current groups spent about two or three months as refugees at level zero before getting first level using the rookie rules here for character creation & a good bit of dcc type flexible gm macguiverism from the players. everyone had a lot of fun :D. It was't run as a funnel though so everyone managed to survive

Having left this thread for a while and pondered off and on i remembered something i forgot to mention before.

5e is necessarily easy mode. Intentionally. By design. Literally. Its something that i didnt remember consciously when earlier interacting with this thread but one of the (openly) main goals of the design teem for 5e was to create a game with a lower intellectual bar for entry (a thinly veiled declaration in politically correct format of saying "we wanted the game to be easier for stupid people to understand". Shame on you jeremy crawford. Hah. Never gets old...).

So 5e is literally designed to be more accessable to "stupid people". I think we have to admit here that there isnt really a point in debating whether 5e is "easy mode". It is literally designed to be and tauted for it.

Oofta

Legend
Having left this thread for a while and pondered off and on i remembered something i forgot to mention before.

5e is necessarily easy mode. Intentionally. By design. Literally. Its something that i didnt remember consciously when earlier interacting with this thread but one of the (openly) main goals of the design teem for 5e was to create a game with a lower intellectual bar for entry (a thinly veiled declaration in politically correct format of saying "we wanted the game to be easier for stupid people to understand". Shame on you jeremy crawford. Hah. Never gets old...).

So 5e is literally designed to be more accessable to "stupid people". I think we have to admit here that there isnt really a point in debating whether 5e is "easy mode". It is literally designed to be and tauted for it.
If by that you mean that the game is easy to understand, simple for new people to get into, that you don't have to be a complete gamer geek to be effective than I agree. It's why it's so popular.

If you're just going out of your way to insult people that like the game ... well I'm not going to finish that. But if you're not stupid I'm sure you can fill in the blank.

Remove ads