D&D 5E Is 5e the Least-Challenging Edition of D&D?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I think that if you stick to the 6-8 encounter adventuring day guidelines, that 5e is more challenging than 4e was, sticking to its adventuring day guidelines. However, 5e really relies on that attrition model to deliver a fair challenge. Bounded accuracy makes it easier than ever for PCs to punch above their weight class, so it becomes far more difficult to challenge a party with a smaller number of higher-CR encounters. You can kind of do it if you go well outside the encounter building guidelines, but that can lead to very swingy difficulty, where every fight you’re either bug or windshield depending on how the rolls go. On the other hand, I kinda think you’re “voiding the warranty” so to speak if you ignore the 6-8 encounter adventuring day guidelines. I think when run as designed, 5e is more challenging than 4e when it’s run as designed.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
I feel that 4e and 5e we both Extremely Low Chance of Death systems. If I had to pick one from my gut as being less lethal I think I would go with 4e, if only because every character could get some HP back in the middle of a combat without items or spells by using a second wind.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Neither of the recent systems require that they be less lethal, I heard many DMs saying during 4e that they felt no need to pull their punches because the system felt fair and that they had killed more in that edition than they had in many others.

Additionally there is no cap on how lethal you can make most editions aside from your own tastes really.

I am more about making interesting choices and interesting implications player character death is meh as an implication ... its just as meh in movies unless it came with heavy obvious choices.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
4ed was more predictable, and thus and Dm can achieve a satisfying challenge more often, the design assume players will play as a coordinated team.
5ed is more chaotic and the design assume more space to inefficient move during battle.
Yup this... many a DM set that challenge very high.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
once and only once in a combat and it takes a whole action to use for most characters probably the least likely healing method in my experience unless you utterly lack a leader in the party.
My 4e paladin used his Second Wind in almost every battle that wasn't a cakewalk because he was designed to stand there and absorb damage. Missing out on one at-will attack wasn't that big of a deal.

Plus, my statement stands, it was an option every character had, especially at 1st level when 1HD was a LOT of healing.

Oofta

Legend
Every edition is as deadly as you want it to be, 5E is no exception. In my last game I almost turned 1 PC into a wight, another was at single digits HP and about to be swallowed by a zombie T-Rex, another was unconscious and about to have a ton of concrete fall on their head. All in different encounters. It was a blast. :)

The default encounter calculator is on the easy side for most groups because they assume novice players, 6-8 encounters between long rests and point buy or roll 4d6 drop lowest no re-rolls you get what you get.

So if the encounters aren't difficult enough, crank it up to 11. If that doesn't work crank it up to 15. But D&D has never really been that deadly if you allow raise dead and don't TPK ... in most campaigns dying is a speed bump after a certain point and always has been.

Which is why I use the alternate rest rules, get between 5-10 encounters in between long rests and make raise dead more difficult than just casting a spell.

Remove ads