D&D 5E Is acting on player banter a dick move?

guachi

Hero
It's fair if the players know ahead of time that some of the things they say may be used against them.

It's not fair if they don't know that ahead of time.

I just assume that players understand that Miranda Warnings are in effect for all D&D sessions.

"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in the Court of the Big Bad Evil Guy"

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
To me it is totally fair, your characters were having a conversation and anyone can try to listen in and take advantage. Players may say that they were talking not their characters but to me that is impossible, your characters can only communicate this information by talking.

Opinions?

I thought that was the reason that we developed the secret Player Cant to use at the Game Table? So that DMs can not use Player Knowledge against us.

BoldItalic

First Post
You could chip in and ask the players "Would you like me to throw in some monsters who heard you saying that? *evil cackle* "

Then (a) you are gently reminding them not to be too talkative, (b) they get a choice about how much of a challenge the next encounter might be, and (c) because evil cackle.

Calm_EyE

First Post
It all comes down to how you want your players to act. If you find the talk to be disruptive; I think you should first talk to them and suggest that they should reduce the "meta"-talk.

I have never been fond of the 'all talk is in character' table rule that some use. Personally, I prefer all talk to be out of character. For instance, when referring to an action that I want my character to take or dialogue that I want my character to say, I always prefer to say "[my character] does the thing." or "[my character] says blah."

5ekyu

Hero
To me it is totally fair, your characters were having a conversation and anyone can try to listen in and take advantage. Players may say that they were talking not their characters but to me that is impossible, your characters can only communicate this information by talking.

Opinions?

(As a side note I have not done this yet as a DM, the thought just came to me as a player listening to a bunch of my fellow party members loudly announce they were completely out of spells)

My general guideline is that before i move into "is it a dick move" territory i make sure i have telegraphed it before then in the campaign.

Do not surprise them with you being a dick.

So if you have had cases in the past which showed them their conversations are treated as in character enough that they would have no doubt about it then yes it is fine.

**but** also this should go with a healthy dose of "character competence" where you have in the past shown them "i assume you have moved away for privacy" enough and also had cases where "there is not really anywhere to move. The others appear to be looking at you and that guy is..." etc etc so that they have so much evidence in play that when it comes down to really brass tacks hard edge stuff, its not a surprise to the players though it may be to the characacters.

There is nothing wrong with NPCs scouting and following etc but just make sure it is done with assumption of competence of PCs and with all necessary respect to their character's strengths and weaknesses contrasted with the situation and the adversaries.

The real downside of not foreshadowing this is that you convince your players they need to ve vieweing *you* as an adversary and that if they dont say abc magic words you will hose them. that way lies very slow unfun playing in my experience where a lot of time is lost "gm proofing".

Remove ads