D&D 5E Is Anyone Unhappy About Non-LG Paladins?

Are you unhappy about non-LG paladins?

• No; in fact, it's a major selling point!

Votes: 98 20.5%
  • No; in fact, it's a minor selling point.

Votes: 152 31.7%
  • I don't care either way.

Votes: 115 24.0%
  • Yes; and it's a minor strike against 5e.

Votes: 78 16.3%
  • Yes; and it's a major strike against 5e!

Votes: 18 3.8%
  • My paladin uses a Motorola phone.

Votes: 18 3.8%

Xodis

First Post
Established setting is being reset. As happens when rules are changed. Likely many of those Gods that had individual "holy warriors" will now have Oath Bound Paladins serving them.

It was specifically stated that any past material will not be discredited, so "Holy Warriors" of specific gods will likely stay the same at least in name. Remember the Realms keeps moving forward...even if the future somehow changes what was done in the past lol.

Xodis

First Post
Remind me what those special divine powered non-cleric, non-paladin classes are for other gods that paladin religions don't get?

Druid and Ranger?

I believe 2e FR had clerics and also specialty priest specific classes for every god including the ones that sponsored paladins.

I believe 2e Greyhawk did as well.

3e had prestige classes for lots of gods but I don't remember a lot of new divine deity-specific classes.

Had to look it up but it was FR 3e's specific God-Powered Prestige Classes that I was remembering. A quick search online brought up quite a few more than I remembered.

Voadam

Legend
Had to look it up but it was FR 3e's specific God-Powered Prestige Classes that I was remembering. A quick search online brought up quite a few more than I remembered.

Are these online or in the 3e Faiths book or scattered across multiple sources?

I looked up the 2e Faiths and Avatars last night, even the paladin gods Torm and Tyr have their own specific specialty priests plus clerics plus paladins for the appropriate gods. Also from the back of the book there are the crusader and monk priest classes open to any war or leader god generally and monk appropriate faith respectively.

FR has long worked hard to provide lots of god follower options.

Are these online or in the 3e Faiths book or scattered across multiple sources?

I looked up the 2e Faiths and Avatars last night, even the paladin gods Torm and Tyr have their own specific specialty priests plus clerics plus paladins for the appropriate gods. Also from the back of the book there are the crusader and monk priest classes open to any war or leader god generally and monk appropriate faith respectively.

FR has long worked hard to provide lots of god follower options.

This may be my personal experience, but it's my personal experience from the gaming community I was in at the time:

Everyone I played 2e with had trouble with the idea of FR-style gods having both generic clerics and specialty priests. Didn't fit our mental conception. No one ever played a generic cleric, and no DM ever seemed to put one in a game.

Everyone I played 2e with had trouble with the idea of FR-style gods having both generic clerics and specialty priests. Didn't fit our mental conception. No one ever played a generic cleric, and no DM ever seemed to put one in a game.

The 2E Faiths & Pantheons books had some interesting stuff on the different roles different priest classes had in FR religions. In practice, Generic Cleric was pretty much solely for MCers, though, yeah in the 2E I ran and played in.

EDIT - I should say F&P eliminated the problems we had conceptually with non-SP priests, and we saw Mystics, Templars, etc. - but Generic Cleric remained used solely for MC'ing by players, IME.

Last edited:

Remove ads