• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is Chainmail dead?

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
In the Orcsnest site (http://www.orcsnest.com), a London RPG shop, they say:

CHAINMAIL IS DEAD

Following Hasbro's complete absorption of Wizards of the Coast they have decided to discontinue Chainmail, the DnD based table top combat game in the U.S. This means that it will probably never be released in Europe at all.

Is that true?????

Florin

First Post
Well, considering that the front page of this site says that WotC is going to be putting out a rulebook for it, I'm going to say no. Also, WotC has not been "completely absorbed" into Hasbro. So, that site is blowing smoke.

Psion

Adventurer
Local scuttlebut from a person

a) I consider fairly reliable, and
b) In the position to know

states that WotC's plan is to get what they have slated out there, support it long enough to flush the supplier chain, and dump it.

Having a book waiting to be printed (that they hace already spent the development money for) isn't too telling.

Zerovoid

First Post
Psion said:
Local scuttlebut from a person

a) I consider fairly reliable, and
b) In the position to know

states that WotC's plan is to get what they have slated out there, support it long enough to flush the supplier chain, and dump it.

Having a book waiting to be printed (that they hace already spent the development money for) isn't too telling.

Well, I guess they've learned all they need to know from Games Workshop, when it comes to miniatures games. I wonder if Chainmail will be completely redesigned and rereleased in 3 more years, amidst much hype ;)

Oracular Vision

First Post
I lost interest in it when I learned it was not a mass-combat system. But the miniatures are very nice, and I do buy those. They are better than WotC's first set of 3rd edition miniatures, which had lots of flashing and were not attractive (they sold poorly here.)

BluWolf

Explorer
I liked some of the minis. I bought two or three, but I'm not a wargamer.

I thought this idea was stupid to begin with. Why go into a heavily competitive, high overhead, niche hobby???

Didn't they learn anything from Warhammer's terrible foray into RPGing??

Stick to roleplaying games.

omedon

First Post
I haven't tried it out at all yet but it seems to be wildly popular here. I was at my local shop on friday and 3 guys came in and bought about $200 CDN worth. The store owner is also really happy with it, and they run weekly games/tournaments at the store.

Last edited:

Remove ads