Is Elder Sign a better package than Arkham Horror?

Find Arkham Horror a terrifying, impenetrable behemoth? Fancy getting some Lovecraftian action without devoting an entire day to sitting around an immense board? Why not try a bit of Elder Sign - dice rolls and doom coming together in perfect gaming harmony!

Find Arkham Horror a terrifying, impenetrable behemoth? Fancy getting some Lovecraftian action without devoting an entire day to sitting around an immense board? Why not try a bit of Elder Sign - dice rolls and doom coming together in perfect gaming harmony!

I will happily be the first to admit that playing Arkham Horror isn't going to be an experience everyone enjoys. It requires a reasonable investment of time; at least three hours from set-up to completion, more if you fancy throwing in expansions. You need a hefty amount of real estate;my living room table easily seats eight but we'll often struggle to make space for everything with more than four players. The rulebook is... well, it's pretty rotten. And yet, I truly love Arkham. It's a great game but (there's always a but) it can be hard getting it to the table for the reasons previously noted.

I find the best thing to do is to ease unwilling people into it through surreptitious means. I'm not saying trick them outright – more like give them a little taste of the kind of stuff they can expect from a game where you're looking to save the world from hideous creatures from another place. Show them that the story is partly where the fun lies, then tell them that they can get a good feeling for the whole thing in an hour spent with Arkham's little sibling: Elder Sign.

I like to refer to it as AH: Arcade Edition. All of the story and horrible bad luck and awfulness and entertainment and brilliance – now with added dice rolls and playable on a table in the pub! What more could you ask for? Set in the same Lovecraftian universe as Arkham Horror, Elder Sign manages to capture the spirit of the bigger game but also brings much novelty to the table. And it's well worth a look...

Working co-operatively, you and your fellow players play a range of characters exploring the local museum after reports of curious happenings. These are more than simple rumours, though – the museum is actually becoming a portal that will usher in a Great Old One to bring terror to the world (or eat it whole, that also happens). Cthulhu and his fellow evil things will rise if your group fail to close the portal in time, and this is far from an easy task.

Cards representing different quests are laid out, and each turn sees an Investigator (that's you) attempt to complete them by rolling certain symbols on special custom dice. Many of these tasks require combinations to be rolled – a couple of skulls, a scroll and some magnifying glasses,for example – but if you don't manage to hit an element you need on that first go, things get tricky. Well, trickier. Failure to get anything with your first roll means that you'll have to discard a die, meaning the likelihood of getting what you need gets harder and harder.

Thankfully, a couple of things are on your side. The elements, as I said, can be complete one-by-one. You also get to 'lock' one die of your choice if you think it's going to be helpful later – for example, should you need two Terror icons but only roll one, that die can be held for use in subsequent attempts. When that second Terror comes up, grab the locked one, trade the pair in and you're a step closer to finishing the task.

Eventually, one of two things will happen. Hopefully you'll be successful, get everything you need and be handsomely rewarded with items that can be traded into use the two uber-dice, clue tokens that let you reroll or extra spaces to lock more dice. The trick to winning is to use these item cards liberally – there's no point in holding on to them. Doing that will invariably lead to your downfall, for screwing up your quests means Lots Of Bad Stuff.

Said Bad Stuff includes seeing your character taking physical or mental damage – should your Health or Sanity hit zero, you're out (but you do get to grab anew Investigator to continue the fight). There's also a very good chance that random monsters will appear on certain quests which will make them even harder, like you need that. Lastly, and most important to keep an eye on, are Doom Tokens. Each of the Great Old Ones has a track that will be filled up with these tokens. Should the track get completed, it's time for an all-out final battle – generally this'll be heavily weighted in favour of the bad guy, so it's way better to get things sorted before everything hits the fan. There's also a mechanism involving a clock that, after every four turns, triggers a new world effect which could be great (a health boost or, if you're lucky, "nothing happens") or wretched (more monsters, loss of sanity, that kind of thing).

Being dice driven, there's an awful lot of luck to deal with in Elder Sign but you will get plenty of opportunity to mitigate it, so the game never really feels unfair. Admittedly, pulling a victory out will always be a challenge, especially against some of the tougher Big Bads but it's always an enjoyable romp. There's something very entertaining about witnessing one of your fellow players utterly ruining their rolls,and it's even funnier when you're the one throwing the poorest of rolls. It also serves as a great introduction to the whole Arkham Universe and – even if you have a terrible adventure and manage to destroy the world through your ineptitude – it's a fantastic way to convince others to try the more hardcore game while still being an excellent game in itself.

Have you tried Elder Sign yourself? Perhaps you've played the tabletop game or given the iOS / Android app a shot! Tell us your thoughts below!

Dethklok

First Post
I hated Arkham Horror and don't expect Elder Sign to be much better - it's by the same designers, and has similarly sterile powergaming mechanics (e.g. clue tokens are not clues, but rather meaningless powerups).

Lovecraft was a brilliant writer; the expanded Mythos his friends and fans created was harder to take seriously; and the board games, movies, and yes, roleplaying games this Mythos spawned are almost without exception sheer dreck.

Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Elder Sign was amusing.

Arkham Horror was a whole nother level of complexity indeed. But we did have fun with the cooperative aspect. I followed people around sealing gates. Neat.

CAFRedblade

Explorer
From everything I've heard Arkham Horror can be a long 2-3 hour game, or more with the various expansions. Meanwhile I've played Elder Sign a few times, with the single expansion included, and it's been anywhere from 30min to an hour of play time. I rather enjoy Elder Sign, while it has lots of fiddly bits and pieces, it runs fairly smoothly from my experience. You can watch a play through of the basic Elder Sign on Geek & Sundry's TableTop YouTube Channel.

Jhaelen

First Post
How does the Elder Sign iOS app compare, anyone know?
Very good from what I've heard - better than the actual board game, according to a friend of mine who has both.

I'm a big fan of Arkham Horror and have played over 200 games. It's indeed a pity that most games take such a long time (3-5 hours in my experience), but Elder Sign simply cannot compare.
To me it's just Mythos yahtzee, while AH is almost an introductionary level RPG.

I hated Arkham Horror and don't expect Elder Sign to be much better - it's by the same designers, and has similarly sterile powergaming mechanics (e.g. clue tokens are not clues, but rather meaningless powerups).

Lovecraft was a brilliant writer; the expanded Mythos his friends and fans created was harder to take seriously; and the board games, movies, and yes, roleplaying games this Mythos spawned are almost without exception sheer dreck.

Well, that review is a little hard to take seriously. There are lots of reasons to dislike AH, but this is the first time I've heard it called overly abstract. Clue tokens are also not power-ups, as they have two functions. Most importantly they let you know how to seal gates, not simply close them, which is neither a power-up nor sterile. It is in fact exactly thematic wrt the books.

Also, Lovecraft, although highly imaginative and fabulous to read, is not lauded for his actual writing ability. At best he is a good writer.

Finally, the roleplaying game based on his work is recognized as a top class game, strongly thematic, and one of the few that has endured and own strong.

As far as Elder Sign is concerned, it is way lighter and more abstract that AH, to the point of not really being comparable. "Cthulhu Yahtzee" is not a bad summation, I like the game, but not enough to buy it. Fun though, so YMMV

The iOS app is very, very good -- in the sense of faithful to the base game. Much cheaper too, so if on the fence about ES, try the app first.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Finally got to play Elder Sign recently. I found it pretty bad. Thematically, it is a mess. Arkham Horror drips theme, but Elder Sign just has you rolling to match symbols rather than involving any story element in the game. If you divorce the theme from the mechanics, then Elder Sign is extremely average with not much to recommend it: the decisions you're making just aren't that interesting, and some of the rolls you need are highly improbable.

For a good co-operative, dice-rolling game, I turn to D-Day Dice, which is exceptional. Elder Sign takes Arkham Horror and streamlines the mechanics until the theme is gone and the mechanics are dull.

Argyle King

Legend

Have fun!

Some are...

Elder Sign is hit or miss with me. Generally, I enjoy it, but I get burned out on it rather quickly.

I find Cthulu Dice to be pretty good. It's a simple and quick game, but remains fun. Though, since the average game time is somewhere around 2* minutes, I tend to use it as a game between other games or when the group is waiting for someone to arrive. It's also a great game for Cons; something to play when there's nothing else going on. All of that being said, there have been a few times when I've lost track of time with it and have played several games in a raw without realizing how long I had been playing.

http://www.sjgames.com/dice/cthulhudice/

*The package says 5-10, but I've seen games end more quickly.

Remove ads

Remove ads