Is Forgotten Realms the Default Campaign Setting for 5e?

What is the relationship between Forgotten Realms and Fifth Edition?

• 1. Married. (Forgotten Realms is the OFFICIAL setting of 5e.)

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • 2. Going steady. (Forgotten Realms is the DEFAULT setting of 5e.)

Votes: 48 53.3%
  • 3. Friends with benefits. (Forgotten Realms gets a little something extra, but nothing codified.)

Votes: 23 25.6%
  • 4. High school sweethearts. (Forgotten Realms got the early material, but 5e is movin' on.)

Votes: 10 11.1%
  • 5. One night stand. (5e slept with who?)

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • 6. "The crows seemed to be calling his name," thought Caw.

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Poll closed .
I can see them just laying off the brakes on FR being the default setting and incorporating more CR material into future products, and then by osmosis other settings as well. As far as 6E when it comes whether they'll have a default setting and which setting that will be is anybody's guess.

If people are buying the book that don't play D&D or run games might be a good indication that there's a market for novels and comics in the setting too. Amazons putting together a live action series correct? Why not milk the cow to death?

If that was true why put out a CR Wildemount book in the first place? If they came to some kind of agreement in the first place I don't see any reason why they couldn't moving forward. And the same can be said for CR, they don't own the D&D as well, sure they can put it out as a 3PP, but I'm going to guess that it'd sell better as an official WotC product.

Re comics etc CR already has those! So yeah that's already proven. If CR material is outstandingly popular all the way to the design phase of 6E I expect we'll see less of a default setting for 6E and CR stuff likely included on the lists, like of gods.

R_J_K75

Legend
I chose, Going steady. (Forgotten Realms is the DEFAULT setting of 5e.). With the mentions of FR in the 3 core books and the majority of WotC adventures being set there kind of seems that way to me.

Re comics etc CR already has those! So yeah that's already proven. If CR material is outstandingly popular all the way to the design phase of 6E I expect we'll see less of a default setting for 6E and CR stuff likely included on the lists, like of gods.

Looks like CR has already proven its popularity with an Amazon series in the works. Amazon wasn't banging down WotCs' door for a Forgotten Realms series apparently. When I run games I usually set them in the Realms as a base camp but do some plane hopping and Spelljamming to mix things up, so I was happy to see FR get the lions share of mention in the core books. Moving forward I really don't have a preference anymore, although I thought the Nentir Vale was a cool setting in 4E. The points of light concept seemed refreshing, and we all know it was George H.W. Bush pulling the strings behind the curtain.

MxBaticeer

Villager
I don't fully agree with the earlier overview of how many official adventures are tied to Forgotten Realms. I feel that it overstates it somewhat.

Curse of Strahd is set in Ravenloft. It opened up the setting for DMs Guild and the whole adventure takes place there. Saying it's FR based because two of the six optional hooks provided at the beginning, each of which is less than a page long and has barely any relationship to the rest of the adventure, suggest that your characters could come from FR is just silly. There is more Greyhawk related content in Curse of Strahd than there is Forgotten Realms related content.

Tales from the Yawning Portal is a compilation of seven conversions of old adventures. Of those adventures, only one was originally set in FR and all of them have prefaces with suggestions for how to use them in various official settings. The title refers to the Yawning Portal (a FR location) and there's a short preface describing it but the Yawning Portal doesn't actually show up in any of the adventures. I wouldn't call TftYP a Forgotten Realms adventure book despite the admittedly misleading Yawning Portal title and theme.

So I think saying those two are "set in FR" exaggerates the actual situation.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
Another thread, another argument. In effect, the following statement was made:

This, of course, could not stand, and various and sundry opposing armies (consisting, no doubt, of Dragonborn) were mustered to fight over that contention. The following two pieces of evidence were those most clearly adduced:

From Mike Mearls in an interview prior to the release of 5e:

From Jeremy Crawford in a series of tweets in January, 2015:

This has led people to argue that, inter alia, Mearls has said one thing (FR is the setting) and Crawford is saying another thing (it is not).

I disagree. I think that there is a meaningful difference between the following two statements:

1. Forgotten Realms is the default setting in 5e.

True.

2, Forgotten Realms is the official setting in 5e.

False.

I think that this is the point that Mearls was making and that Crawford was trying to make clear (or less clear, depending on how you look at it). 5e does not have a single, unified, official setting. Nor should it. The majority of campaigns that are run are some variety of homebrew, so it would be somewhat foolish to demand an official setting. In addition, one of the core strengths of D&D is the multiplicity of worlds that exist and have been created (or, to put it more crassly, the IP that D&D has developed over the years).

That is why the core books reference multiple worlds and campaigns. See, e.g., the PHB section on the different gods, and the multiple planes and campaign settings. The core books do a wonderful job of introducing the concept of the multiverse. The DMG begins by discussing the multiverse! I would note, however, that many of the samples in the DMG come from ... the FR. Harpers, the Calendar, Evernight, etc.

However, it is also obvious at this point that Forgotten Realms is the default setting of 5e. From the first introduction that many players and DMs receive in Phandelver, you see a FR-centric emphasis. Looking at the APs, you quickly see that every ... single ... AP is published with FR in mind. To publish a module that doesn't have FR in mind (like the two, arguably, that don't ... Saltmarsh and Strahd) is a noteworthy event. Even when collected modules, many of which come from other settings, are published (Yawning Portal) a hook is inserted to make it FR-centric.

Names of expansion books (such as Volo's or Xanathar's) abound with FR-centric tropes. The one that doesn't (MToF) has nothing really that ties it to the campaign setting, and is explicitly about the outer planes.

Famously, DM's Guild only allows for material from accepted sources, including generic D&D and specific campaign settings- which are the campaign settings that have been published and stated with (of course) FR (although expanded to RL, EB, and Ravnica).

And the famous and long-rumored movie, when it comes out, will be set in the FR.

Which goes back to the original issue; FR is the default setting of 5e. Any given material, and given AP, is most likely going to be set in FR, with loose rules for translating it to other settings and/or your home campaign. It is not, however, the official setting.

At least, that's how it seems to me. I've included a poll (because FUN) and y'all can have at it in this thread.

I would disagree that Strahd and Yawning Portal are “Realms-centric.” They have simply provided a Realms starting point as an option because it is likely that you might have played one of the many APs set in the Realms.

Now we have Eberron, Saltmarsh (a teeny bit of Greyhawk), other Greyhawk plus in Yawning Portal, Ravnica, Ravenloft, and Wildemount.

While there is undoubtedly a group for each of those settings and others that would welcome more of them, I think it would be somewhat problematic to release, say, three Ravenloft adventures in row. As they want to expand beyond the Realms, with the Adventures League and the likelihood that many players want to continue with some of their characters, maintaining some consistency makes sense. At least for every other release when they are only releasing two APs a year.

In 3e they embraced Greyhawk as the official setting, but failed to support it. In 4e they attempted to define and promote the “default setting” by creating a new D&D lore and setting that (in theory anyway) wasn’t a derivative mishmash of many influential sources. Eberron is a bit too different to be the default swords and sorcery setting.

With the Realms as the best seller, it just makes sense to work with that as your best IP as a starting point. That becomes a bit of a self-fulfilling approach, but the reality is that’s just fine, and the percentage of “other than Realms” releases are likely to continue to increase.

The vast majority of players really don’t care. They aren’t the types to be debating such things on forums like this, and are more likely to choose an AP because it sounds interesting. They are relatively self-contained and I suspect the most common way to play is to create new characters for each new AP, and there is little continuity between them. Since new players continue to pick up the game, there are a lot of choices now, rather than to pick them up as they are released.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
FR is the default (not official) setting much like Greyhawk was the default setting of AD&D 1e. D&D is a multi-verse. There are multiple reference to other settings in the core books and official adventures. FR info is given in the PHB mostly, I think, to help new DMs grasp what a campaign setting is and how to go about it. A frame of reference to build your own fantasy world. Because that is at the root of D&D as Arneson and Gygax saw it. And what I did ever since I DMed my first game of B/X D&D in 1981*. ;)

*I'm not saying this is the only way to play D&D. For numerous reasons a GM might want to only run official settings and adventures. I'm known to have used parts of those more than a few times. :ROFLMAO:

Other than humans, Dragonlance and Greyhawk are mentioned as much as the Realms in the 5e PHB.

The main difference between 5e and AD&Din this regard is that there was virtually no lore in the core AD&D books.

Greyhawk was mentioned in a lot of adventures, but once they started publishing other settings, each release was generally setting specific.

R_J_K75

Legend
maybe it is the default setting by WotC words, but I am still waiting for a 500+ page setting lorebook.

Thought I read somewhere around last September or so that Ed Greenwood was working on something along these lines but was pretty vague in details. Anyone else remember this?

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster

Remove ads