Is gaming *with* a map and minis really bad?

buzz

Adventurer
Umbran said:
Minis and a map are a tool. The tool itself isn't really bad or good. What matters is whether you need the tool, and how you use the tool.
QFT.

Anyone who tries to tell you that minis somehow inhibit creativity or "good roleplaying" should be politely shown the door, ASAP. As Umbran rightly points out, what really matters is simply whether the system you are using benefits from their use... not to mention the players, as some people are better at visualizing spatial relationships than others.

I think just about any system with a tactical positioning element benefits from some sort of physical representation. E.g., if there's a bonus for shooting when within X feet of the target, it's nice if everyone at the table can clearly see whether that applies to their PC. Doing otherwise with these kinds of games kinda bugs me. "Mother may I?" :\

And it's not always minis. Burning Wheel uses a scripted combat system in which you make Speed checks to determine your position, e.g., "on the inside," "lunging," etc. You don't need minis for this, but there's a handy scripting sheet that you can use to track aspects like these from volley to volley.

If the system doesn't care about these details, or handles them in an entirely narrative way, then, yeah, minis are pointless. E.g., Dogs in the Vineyard.

Raven Crowking

First Post
buzz said:
Anyone who tries to tell you that minis somehow inhibit creativity or "good roleplaying" should be politely shown the door, ASAP.

I wouldn't go that far.

I'd say that, where minis enhance the experience, they should be used. Where they detract from the experience, they should not be used.

Enhancement/detraction are largely subjective based on group & players.

RC

Moon-Lancer

First Post
when not using minis, you are forced to use the imagination, when using minis you are not forced to use the imagination. However, minis don't inhibit the imagination once its used.

pawsplay

Hero
I've always been baffled by the idea that streams of imagination would be opened if no one could agree whether you were standing next to both the goblin and the cleric.

buzz

Adventurer
Moon-Lancer said:
when not using minis, you are forced to use the imagination, when using minis you are not forced to use the imagination.
I'm with pawsplay on this. I don't see any effect on "imagination" one way or the other.

buzz

Adventurer
Raven Crowking said:
Enhancement/detraction are largely subjective based on group & players.
The preference issue is separate from claims that you're "not using your imagination," though.

Monstrosity

First Post
I started using minis(actually, lego characters. A lot cheaper than minis and you can take off their heads when they're dead) and a map about a year ago, and it has made the game play a lot faster. We no longer argue about how they wouldn't get caught in the blast of a fireball, be able to flank the hobgoblin etc. Players also seem to take advantage of the terrain a lot more when it's drawn on a map, in my experience at least.

The first few times a map was used were a bit rough, but you develop certain tricks after using it for a while. Draw the map while you're describing it, place the enemies while you're telling the players what they look like, see if they have any questions about things you might have missed("So those soldiers, do they have shields or not?") while you're adding decoration to the map. Setting up a map doesn't have to take long. Want a forest? Instead of drawing trees, just grab a handful of pennies and spread them on the map. Use other coins for rocks and other things that could provide partial cover.

And to think that the first time I thought of using a map was because of a Teddy Ruxpin episode...

IanB

First Post
You can play D&D without a map and minis.

You will have a very hard time playing D&D 3.5 as written without a map and minis, however, and I wouldn't want to try. (Which is fine with me, I *much* prefer tactical combat to random-abstract-DM-fiat combat, especially as a DM.)

Remove ads