• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is "GM Agency" A Thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hussar

Legend
In exactly what form do you expect or want these things to co-exist (presumably in some form of text, as I assume if you weren't interested in expanding your preferences into the wider community you wouldn't be advocating so hard)?
Oh... I don't know. It's really complicated. Adding a chapter or maybe gasp even two on adding non-trad methods to D&D to the DMG.

But, hey, we must keep D&D pure right? Cannot ever allow new playstyles or methods to infect the game.

It's all about a big tent right? And being accepting of differing play styles...

What three way? The players are flat out denied any ability to author fiction in trad games. All they can do is react to whatever the dm authors. They cannot deal with that civil war if the dm doesn’t add a civil war to the game. They cannot as players create anything.

ITT: Players don't actually control their characters and their role in the ongoing narrative.

For what its worth, I think its fair to say one of the big reasons that GMs tend to make the best Players is because they actually recognize that Players do have this capability, whether they can put a name to that capability or not, and as such have the confidence to actually use it.

And frankly, if you believe the characters role and choices within a narrative don't actually matter, to the point where nothing the player makes them do matters at all, this tells me you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what it is to play these kinds of games.

Which...tracks given your general thoughts and attitudes towards these games. There's a reason Ive been disagreeing with practically everything you've ever said even back when I was still lurking here years ago.

Players reacting to the dm rolling up the plot wagon is not player authoring anything.

Yes, it is. You just don't seem to value the interactivity games afford as a medium.

And when every plot can only come from the dm who decides how the world “changes” based on whatever the dm feels is appropriate, the illusion of a living world is just that.

This what game designers call a sweet lie. Its a part of the proverbial social contract of any game (no matter the medium) that requires a certain amount of suspension of disbelief. The GM serves to enable the game to run, and this often requires some conciets to allow for smooth gameplay.

But, this is also why systemic authorship matters; GMs do not in fact have full authority unless they are taking the option to fully abandon the system as created.

And its true, many do. But at that point, the game itself cannot fix whats become a social problem between real humans. Those real humans have to resolve their BS and this typically takes the form of Session Zeros to establish what is or isn't going to be used vis a vis the rules.

And after such things have been established, you can no longer claim that the system is not commanding its own authorship, nor that, if the system has been abandoned, that it is a bad thing that its happened; you agreed to it.

But even in that case, the players are still authoring the role their characters will play, which in turn will have very substantial effects on the resulting narrative.

If you believe it won't, then all I can say is that either you or the GMs you play with are just unskilled and do not understand how to run the game in question properly.

Im sure that will incense you, but thats only natural, because cognitive dissonance isn't supposed to be comfortable. If player authorship is truly being denied, the GM is doing something incredibly wrong and inappropriate.

But the more likely result is that whatever your issue is isn't actually rooted in what we've all been talking about, and it'd take a greater examination of where your emotions are coming from to nail down whats actually causing the problem. Because it isn't an authorship problem, and that much is apparent.

I just don’t see why it can’t coexist with other options as well

If already does, especially in open-worlds. If it doesn't, you or your GM are railroading the players.

Do refer to my previous post linking the GDC panel and that graphic.

Having pre-written outcomes and scenarios is not a problem of player agency being denied, but of player agency being validated.

Choices without consequences are meaningless. If you are presenting choices, consequences must follow.

If you are not presenting choices, only then are you not allowing for agency.

Hussar

Legend
Nothing is coopted to fit anything. Living, breathing world is a playstyle that involves the world moving independently of the PCs. If you are not doing that, you are not playing that playstyle. There's nothing wrong with my saying that, and there's nothing wrong with you not liking that style. That is NOT to say that you can't run a game that feels realistic to your players in a different way, it's just not going to be the above playstyle. The bolded portion is incorrect.

Complaining about it being coopted is like my saying that you coopted the narrative style and that I should be able to apply the term to my games even if I'm not engaging in narrative play.
I would point out that suggesting a new play style is in no way saying that you don't like a given style. Criticizing a given style also in no way means that you don't like that style. It would be really helpful if people would stop conflating examination and criticism for promoting a preference.

The term is being coopted. It absolutely is. Becuase the "world moving independently of the PC's" ignores the fact that the person doing the moving - the DM - has a set agenda - creating interesting scenarios for the players to play. The notion of "world simulator" is just an illusion laid over this fact to try to pretend that it's something that it isn't. You prefer the DM to author nearly all the elements of a campaign. And that's fine. That works. And there are a lot of advantages to doing it that way. But, burying the lede and pretending that it's not the DM authoring the vast majority of the game is intellectually dishonest.

And, just to point out, this whole "DMing the world" thing gets brought up every single time the idea of players having any authority in the game. "The DM does all the work, so, whatever the DM says, goes. If you don't like it, there's the door." Suggesting a system where authority is shared more evenly is rejected, not because it's a bad idea necessarily, but because DM's refuse to give up that level of authority in the game. But, they can't outright say that. So, it gets wrapped up in this whole "DMing the world" canard.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
That's ... not what the example was. The PC's kill the emperor and the DM decides that a civil war occurs. I'm just using the example given. You are free to change the example if you wish.

The chain of events - PC's kill emperor -> civil war begins is 100% DM authored. The players have no input here at all. Now, again, that's perfectly fine. It's very a very trad way of playing. But, the whole "living world" thing is just a veil put over the fact that the world is just whatever the DM decides that it is. And those decisions are based on game play - what would be interesting to play out. The emperor is killed, and everyone is happy and they institute a peaceful transition of power doesn't really make for a compelling game.

I'm just pointing out that the whole "well, I run a LIVING world" thing is an illusion. It doesn't exist.
What you are doing is telling people with that preference that it is invalid, no better than what you accused me of doing.

And, just to point out, this whole "DMing the world" thing gets brought up every single time the idea of players having any authority in the game. "The DM does all the work, so, whatever the DM says, goes. If you don't like it, there's the door." Suggesting a system where authority is shared more evenly is rejected, not because it's a bad idea necessarily, but because DM's refuse to give up that level of authority in the game. But, they can't outright say that. So, it gets wrapped up in this whole "DMing the world" canard.

This very dismissive and prejudicial of GMs, and speaks again to my thoughts that you're cynically responding to bad practices rather than any objective issue

If you want people to be more "honest", you should start with yourself, because as much as Im sure you'll assert that you "totally" already are, you are not.

Micah Sweet

Of course the game wasn't built on non-trad play. Non-trad play didn't exist before trad play. That's why it's trad play... :erm:

The notion that the game must ever be frozen in amber and can learn nothing is what I'm objecting to. Even the suggestion of adding in non-trad elements alongside trad-play is treated as making D&D "a different game".
Well, I'd argue that the modern versions of D&D in particular are each separate games that have successively taken the marketing and popularity position of TSR's games, all functionally sharing the same name. I don't have a problem with them being separate games. I have a problem with the community treating them as if they were one game that keeps changing what it wants to be, and only looking at the newest version as their guiding star.

You want to add a bunch of narrative rules and gameplay assumptions into D&D? Do it. But please stop calling it D&D. I like "Hussar's Quest" personally.

Micah Sweet

Oh... I don't know. It's really complicated. Adding a chapter or maybe gasp even two on adding non-trad methods to D&D to the DMG.

But, hey, we must keep D&D pure right? Cannot ever allow new playstyles or methods to infect the game.

It's all about a big tent right? And being accepting of differing play styles...
The industry should be accepting of all different playstyles, and the wide variety of games out there indicate that it is. No particular game (even D&D) needs to be. WotC's the one that wants a big tent to maximize shareholder revenue, not me. Most games are aiming for an experience, narrow or wide, including previous versions of D&D. No need for D&D to be the bland, all-encompassing exception.

The industry should be accepting of all different playstyles, and the wide variety of games out there indicate that it is. No particular game (even D&D) needs to be. WotC's the one that wants a big tent to maximize shareholder revenue, not me. Most games are aiming for an experience, narrow or wide, including previous versions of D&D. No need for D&D to be the bland, all-encompassing exception.

I would argue a big reason this brain worm is still around in TTRPGs (its all disappeared in other kinds of tabletop and especially in video games) is because TTRPGs are historically terrible at teaching themselves to players.

And that isn't helped much because now the idea of education has grown considerably more complicated than it was back in the 70s (even though it was still woefully inadequate even back then), so even games that do better at it are still failing pretty hard.

Generationally speaking, Millenials tend to respond better to multimedia lead education while GenZ is more visual and socially hands-on, so if you intend to comprise these folks as part of your audience, you have to be conscious of this and account for it in how you teach the game.

Complexity doesn't actually even matter really; these approaches work at all levels for those that respond to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads