D&D 5E Is Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden the New D&D Adventure?

It looks likely that the upcoming D&D adventure is indeed an Icewind Dale based storyline called Rime of the Frostmaiden!

It looks likely that the upcoming D&D adventure is indeed an Icewind Dale based storyline called Rime of the Frostmaiden! I can't vouch for the veracity of this, but I was cc'd into a Tweet by Navy DM on Twitter who says they found it on Reddit.

Feel the cold touch of death in this adventure for the world's greatest role playing game.

UPDATE -- the awesome Geek Native ran the small cover screenshot through an image enhancing application, to create the larger image below.

iw_frostmaiden.jpg

There's a post here on Reddit which says "The DnD Beyond YouTube channel posted a trailer for a new book, Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden, then immediately deleted it." The post has been removed since. I found the above image posted by somebody called smightmight, who looks like they screen grabbed it from the video before it was removed.

The Frostmaiden is one of the names of Auril, an evil goddess in the Forgotten Realms. You can read more about her on the Forgotten Realms wiki.

Rime is ice which forms from water droplets on surfaces.

An Icewind Dale setting was the current favourite guess for the location of the new D&D adventure based on various hints from WotC, including this snowy owlbear t-shirt!

0B449D65-06ED-4295-8752-AA3A8023228C.png

(thanks to Pixellance for pointing me at this!)

Was idk about now. They're gods of fury along with Umberlee and I forget.

Malar.

Speaking of which, if they want to continue the recent pattern (Bane/Bhaal/Myrkul in Descent to Avernus and Auril in this) perhaps they could have Malar feature in a Moonshae adventure, as a long-term sequel to the original Moonshae novels. A fey-themed (and lycanthrope-themed) Moonshae adventure would be quite intriguing!

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Malar.

Speaking of which, if they want to continue the recent pattern (Bane/Bhaal/Myrkul in Decent to Avernus and Auril in this) perhaps they could have Malar feature in a Moonshae adventure, as a long-term sequel to the original Moonshae novels. A fey-themed Moonshae adventure would be quite intriguing!

Not really my cup of tea. For heavy get stuff I would use Midgard. I've got a few weeks to put togather a new campaign post Covid so not sure if I'm going to use Eberron or Midgard.

I've got some other cold themed adventures I want to run though such as Peril of Ghostwind Pass and some 1E ones in Dungeon.

I've got a birthday coming up so might Theros that one and add this to my Christmas wish list.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Malar.

Speaking of which, if they want to continue the recent pattern (Bane/Bhaal/Myrkul in Descent to Avernus and Auril in this) perhaps they could have Malar feature in a Moonshae adventure, as a long-term sequel to the original Moonshae novels. A fey-themed (and lycanthrope-themed) Moonshae adventure would be quite intriguing!

I kind of figure that the Dead Three are going to be the Big Bads of BG3 by the end of that game, so the AP was setting them up on the context of the city.

I think a Feywild Adventure in the Moonshaes is a pretty strong possibility, hinted at in SCAG...

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
So the book is not truly confirmed yet by WotC, but DNDLive2020 and RealityRP is confirmed here on Instagram to be themed around Icewind Dale.

#DNDLive2020 begins next week, and #RealityRP alongside it!
Join our host, Prosperon, the Prison Warden of Revel's End, in rooting out the cultist of Auril hiding amongst the Champions of the Ten Towns. Starting June 18, those who have donated to #RedNoseDay can access a special map on our website (link in bio), uncover clues about each prisoner, and observe the trials of Revel's End live right here on #Instagram.
Stay tuned over the next week as we reveal our ten champions and where you can follow them!

I kind of figure that the Dead Three are going to be the Big Bads of BG3 by the end of that game, so the AP was setting them up on the context of the city.

I think a Feywild Adventure in the Moonshaes is a pretty strong possibility, hinted at in SCAG...

Since the big adventure each year has a major theme, and a fey-themed adventure is probably inevitable, there is absolutely nowhere better to set it in the Realms than the Moonshaes. Which would be nice not only is it an area that really hasn't been deeply covered information-wise since the setting was literally brand-new, but it also will be, technically, not set in the Sword Coast region...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Since the big adventure each year has a major theme, and a fey-themed adventure is probably inevitable, there is absolutely nowhere better to set it in the Realms than the Moonshaes. Which would be nice not only is it an area that really hasn't been deeply covered information-wise since the setting was literally brand-new, but it also will be, technically, not set in the Sword Coast region...

It got like three pages in SCAG, it's in the Sword Coast region for business purposes. ;)

Remove ads

Remove ads