D&D 5E Is Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden the New D&D Adventure?

It looks likely that the upcoming D&D adventure is indeed an Icewind Dale based storyline called Rime of the Frostmaiden!

It looks likely that the upcoming D&D adventure is indeed an Icewind Dale based storyline called Rime of the Frostmaiden! I can't vouch for the veracity of this, but I was cc'd into a Tweet by Navy DM on Twitter who says they found it on Reddit.

Feel the cold touch of death in this adventure for the world's greatest role playing game.

UPDATE -- the awesome Geek Native ran the small cover screenshot through an image enhancing application, to create the larger image below.

iw_frostmaiden.jpg

There's a post here on Reddit which says "The DnD Beyond YouTube channel posted a trailer for a new book, Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden, then immediately deleted it." The post has been removed since. I found the above image posted by somebody called smightmight, who looks like they screen grabbed it from the video before it was removed.

The Frostmaiden is one of the names of Auril, an evil goddess in the Forgotten Realms. You can read more about her on the Forgotten Realms wiki.

Rime is ice which forms from water droplets on surfaces.

An Icewind Dale setting was the current favourite guess for the location of the new D&D adventure based on various hints from WotC, including this snowy owlbear t-shirt!

0B449D65-06ED-4295-8752-AA3A8023228C.png

(thanks to Pixellance for pointing me at this!)

Dire Bare

Legend
Maybe, but you can't tell which ones are good because there is no editorial oversight. Editing is highly underrated by both game creators and consumers, and is probably the second most important aspect of the industry (after actual game design).

Does anyone know of a website or blog that keeps track of DMsGuild adventures and/or reviews them.

A good website to find reviews of DM's Guild products is . . . . the DM's Guild!

You do realize they have both a rating system and a reviews system, right? Not every product gets reviewed, but many do. A good place to start is the "Most Popular DM's Guild Titles" section on the front page, find a title that sounds interesting, click on it to see if any reviews have been left yet. There is also a subsection of content creators tagged as "DM's Guild Adepts" that are popular, quality authors highlighted by WotC as they consistently put out great content. Another good option is any title released as PWYW (pay-what-you-want) . . . pay $0, and if you like it, go back and "purchase" it again, this time for the recommended price (or whatever you feel is fair and/or can afford). Also, some authors upload huge chunks of their product as "full-size previews" so you can get a really good feel for what you're purchasing.

Regarding the borders of the Sword Coast.... When in doubt, do 3 seconds of research... Sword Coast. It is the region just South of Waterdeep that extends South down to the Cloud Peaks just north of Amn.
It's still a very nebulous term. Over the course of 30 years, I've seen it restricted to just the coastline between Waterdeep and Baldur's Gate, to it including everything north of Amn and west of Cormyr. The wiki is valiantly trying to define it, but you could pull up as many sources that contradict that definition as support it.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I had no idea D+ had a significant feature on DMsGuild material. That's very helpful actually. Thank you. I have always wanted to make more use of the DMsGuild but it is impossible to tell what is shovelware and what is actual quality work.

You are welcome! I would also recommend the DMsGuild Adept program, which does receive editorial support from WotC in a similar being to the old magazines:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I know it is, but it received something like as much content as Evereska, Evermeet, The Moonshea and Lantan, which are definetly not part of the Coast :p By that definition, half of Fearun is ''The Coast'' and to have an AP not set on the Coast would require an AP set in something like Sembia or Chessenta (to which I'm absolutely not opposed, mind you)

I totally see where you are coming from, and on that basis you are not wrong.

However, in terms of what "Operational Theatre" WotC means when they mention the Sword Coast in marketing material, all those places are part of the Sword Coast region: the island kingdoms, the Western Heartlands to Coromyr, the Savage Frontier, Icewind Dale, etc.

And yeah, that "Sword Coast is the size of Europe.

Reynard

Legend
You are welcome! I would also recommend the DMsGuild Adept program, which does receive editorial support from WotC in a similar being to the old magazines:

What I am concerned about is the kind of stuff found in the discussion on this product. It's not only a Guild Adept product but also a charity product and it is still apparently pretty sloppy. This is what I mean when I say editorial oversight is extremely important.

Remove ads

Remove ads