D&D 5E Is it houseruling to let a torch set fire to things?

Is it houseruling to allow a burning torch to set fire to another torch?

• Yes

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • No

Votes: 162 96.4%

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Let me give you an example. You can house rule that fireball works that way if you like. But it's a house rule. Nothing In The description of the spell says it does those things.

That's a cop-out. There's nothing involved anywhere in fireball that indicates that it is somehow magically discerning so as not to burn items on a target. "Because magic" falls flat in cases like this.

The rule was put there because players do not like to lose magical staves, scrolls and other valuable items to fire. It's a rule that makes no sense and exists for balance reasons.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
That's a cop-out. There's nothing involved anywhere in fireball that indicates that it is somehow magically discerning so as not to burn items on a target. "Because magic" falls flat in cases like this.

The rule was put there because players do not like to lose magical staves, scrolls and other valuable items to fire. It's a rule that makes no sense and exists for balance reasons.
I always figured magic items were more resilient than that, so can't be destroyed simply by lighting it on fire. I would treat a fireball spell just like regular fire in that regard.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

FrogReaver

To play devils advocate: more house rules?

I always figured magic items were more resilient than that, so can't be destroyed simply by lighting it on fire. I would treat a fireball spell just like regular fire in that regard.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
To play devils advocate: more house rules?
Call it extrapolation. Magic armor is somehow are good enough to strip off the armor of a monster that's been hacked to pieces by a barbarian even though normal armor isn't, and it resizes to fit you. Magic weapons seem to be in pristine condition despite centuries in a dungeon. They seem immune to rust and wear (never need sharpening). All this is basically spelled out indirectly in the DMG, as well as numerous novels. It doesn't seem too much of a stretch.

FrogReaver

What if I extrapolate something different?

Call it extrapolation. Magic armor is somehow are good enough to strip off the armor of a monster that's been hacked to pieces by a barbarian even though normal armor isn't, and it resizes to fit you. Magic weapons seem to be in pristine condition despite centuries in a dungeon. They seem immune to rust and wear (never need sharpening). All this is basically spelled out indirectly in the DMG, as well as numerous novels. It doesn't seem too much of a stretch.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
It is such dismissals that lead to questions over what a house rule really is.

No it isn't. Those dismissals aren't over what a house rule is. They are over the inappropriate inclusion of house rules into a discussion about RAW.

If such things aren't really house rules then dismissing them as not RAW doesn't really work.
If it's not written word for word in the book, it's impossible for it to be RAW. Whether or not your addition is a house rule or not is irrelevant to whether or not your inclusion is RAW, so it's still not appropriate for a RAW discussion.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Let me give you an example. You can house rule that fireball works that way if you like. But it's a house rule. Nothing In The description of the spell says it does those things.

A fireball burns hotter and with much more fire than a torch ever would. For it to be a house rule that a larger and much hotter fire doesn't ignite a torch, it must also be a house rule for a torch to light a torch. If a fireball can't do it, no torch will ever be able to.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus

For me it depends on the item. A wooden wand or staff would be vulnerable still, but get bonuses on the save. Something stronger would be immune, and potions/scrolls get no bonus at all.

FrogReaver

A fireball burns hotter and with much more fire than a torch ever would. For it to be a house rule that a larger and much hotter fire doesn't ignite a torch, it must also be a house rule for a torch to light a torch. If a fireball can't do it, no torch will ever be able to.

So is a fireball igniting a torch a house rule or RAW? Or is it something else?

Remove ads