D&D 4E Is it just me, or do damaging effects suck in 4E?

Victim

First Post
You have 5 PCs attacking 1 beholder target. If each character is doing roughly 20 damage per action, then the beholder goes down in 9 rounds. That doesn't seem too unreasonable.

Sojorn

First Post
EroGaki said:
How the devil are a group of PC's supposed o take out a beholder with 900 hp when their powers do crap damage like 8d6? I'm sorry, but who wants to spend 3 hours in game trying kill the stupid thing?
A party of 5 level 19 characters will tend closer to 100-200 damage each round.

Even if all 5 characters just plink the beholder with an at-will in a round, that's still about 75 damage or so. If the players just unload their single target dailies round after round, said beholder will probably last 3 or 4 rounds at most. Possibly a little longer if there's misses and there probably will be.

FourthBear

First Post
I think this is definitely an area where I would wait until problems are seen in actual table play. If it seems like combats are taking too many rounds to resolve, then it might be appropriate to look at ways to increase damage. As others have noted, this appears to be a deliberate design decision to reduce damage across the board at mid-to-high levels.

Stalker0

Legend
Sojorn said:
Possibly a little longer if there's misses and there probably will be.

Considering that solos tend to have higher defenses then normal, you must incorporate misses into your calculation. Even a 30% miss rate will increase a 9 round combat to 12.

Sojorn

First Post
Stalker0 said:
Considering that solos tend to have higher defenses then normal, you must incorporate misses into your calculation. Even a 30% miss rate will increase a 9 round combat to 12.
Still a far cry from a 3 hour combat.

However, I'm still slightly worried that Solos will tend to get "grindy" even if they are capped at about 15 rounds or so.

Remove ads