Is it possible.

domino

First Post
Just make them do the pricing the same way you'd price a ring of true strike. Not as a ring that has a use activated 1st level spell, but as one that gives a +20 bonus to hit.

Thus, a wondrous item of cure light wounds doesn't do a first level spell, but instead, makes it even more stupidly powerful than a ring of regeneration. And price it as such.

Cbas_10

First Post
Rugult said:
Quick question...

Is it possible to create a Wonderous Item that casts Cure Light Wounds and has no charges. Some Players have brought this up and I am interested in seeing if this is somehow legal, and if not what rule can I reference to shoot them down?

Thanks!

I know this starts to wander into house-rule territory, but I have a solution for you.

Regarding price/cost to create in gold pieces...I'd go by the book guidelines. Conceptually, it is a simple and straightforward item. Plus, I'd really look at the sidebar on page 288 of the DMG. It discusses body slot affinities, and allows a DM to really enforce a bit of "flavor" in item creation ("A hat of Healing?...what does wearing a hat have to do with healing?"...maybe a player can come up with something good...in which case, that would fly with me). Thus, not messing around with written rules, altering mechanics, blah, blah, blah.

However, when it comes to the XP Cost to create vs. the optional rule of Power Components, you can really put some challenge into making the item. Personally, that is an optional rule that I have turned into a real rule. Nothing costs XP (spell, item creation, etc), but requires a special or rare power component instead. So....what sort of powerful component would help to "fuel the ritual" in creating an Item of Unlimited Cure Light Wounds?

In my opinion, if a player came to me with the idea....assuming the creator of the item worships Pelor, as an example....I'd say that the power component is for the item to be Blessed by a dying saint (in D&D game terms: a cleric that matches Pelor's alignment who can cast Miracle and is on his deathbed, dying of natural causes). Power components need not be powerful or extremely valuable...sometimes they are simply very rare, but always are significant to the task at hand.

lottrbacchus

First Post
My players have bought into the idea that most items such as this should be 5 uses per day, not every round (since cost in charges per day is divided by five...)

eamon

Explorer
33000 is crazy-high for an at-will cure light wounds effect. My players run around healing with wands all the time, from 1st to now almost 10th level, and they haven't gone through 44 wands yet (I don't keep track of the exact number, but it's around 20). Realize also that wands have the advantage of being cheap upfront, whereas a magic item is a big investment. Even if you sell it, you're still losing half of its value.

MIC items:
6000gp: Emergency healing 1d4+5 hitpoints as per close wounds, immediate action close range 3/day, can prevent death from falling below -9
2000gp: Amulet of retributive healing: swift action 3/day, any healing you perform also affects yourself
5000gp: 50 hitpoint healing, removes fatigue on animal companion, immediate action 1/day
2000gp: extra-powerful goodberries 5/day (this thing isn't very good)
3400gp: hair shirt: +1 enhancement to natural armor and cure 3d8+9 1/day
750gp: healing belt: up to 6d8 healing a day, self only.
5600gp: helm of glorious recovery: 4d8+7 healing 1/day
3500gp: ring of mystic healing: +1 caster level on healing spells, up to +6d6 extra healing on healing spells
5500gp+Relic+15HD: Tabard of the great crusade: Heal spell on anyone else.
12100gp: Dove's Harp: Bardic music also grants fast healing 3.

Notably, almost all of these items provide in-combat healing, which cure light wounds really doesn't (except at low levels).

The healing belt is pretty standard in many adventuring groups now. It provides enough healing such that it frequently suffices for a day, and it can provide 4d8 at one time, which is meaningful in combat (generally).

I wouldn't allow a plain cure light wounds magic item anyhow. Make it something special: say; a whip of torture, enchanted to cast cure light wounds on the receiver, or a Ruby of coagulation, which, when held in the air and squeezed shines a blood-red light in a 10ft radius, healing 1 hitpoint in all living creatures below 50% health.

If you really, really want an unlimited healing item, make it an item of cure minor wounds, and sell it for no more than 4000gp. Healing 200 hitpoints using such an item would take 20 minutes, which means that it's annoyingly long and will effect short-term buffs between battles.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Allowing the party to fully heal for free between encounters is far too powerful, IMO.

All he said was CLW without charges. It could be limited in other ways, like limited uses per day or empathic transfer (wielder takes some kind of damage- HP or ability- to cast CLW), only usable by/on those faithful to X deity, or something else.

The devil is in the details.

Kat'

First Post
How 'bout a vampiric wand which heals the target and damages the wielder by the same amount? Would bring some fun in, I guess, especially if the item is cursed and forces its posessor to use it at least once or twice a day...

Remove ads