Is killing a Goblin who begs for mercy evil?

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
I mean, I'd consider it evil, as part of an industrialized society where the average citizen rarely fights in wars and even killing in self-defense is unlikely. By the Geneva Convention (1949), you are supposed to respect a surrender.

But, from what I can tell, you weren't necessarily obliged to respect a surrender in the Middle Ages these games are theoretically very loosely based on. So it's up to your paladin and their god, if any. God of war, storm, death? Kill the coward. God of healing or life? Probably let them live. God of knowledge or magic? If good, probably let them live; if evil, do you need any parts for a potion? It really depends how much Values Dissonance (thanks TVTropes) you want in your game.

I mean, I'd consider it evil, as part of an industrialized society where the average citizen rarely fights in wars and even killing in self-defense is unlikely. By the Geneva Convention (1949), you are supposed to respect a surrender.

But, from what I can tell, you weren't necessarily obliged to respect a surrender in the Middle Ages these games are theoretically very loosely based on. So it's up to your paladin and their god, if any. God of war, storm, death? Kill the coward. God of healing or life? Probably let them live. God of knowledge or magic? If good, probably let them live; if evil, do you need any parts for a potion? It really depends how much Values Dissonance (thanks TVTropes) you want in your game.
In a world where Good and Evil are cosmic forces linked to eternal planes, I wouldn't think the definitions would change thtouout the years and be subject to cultural differences.

Remove ads