• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is Luck of Heroes balanced?

Staffan

Legend
IanB said:
I think it is balanced by the very nature of being a feat that you can duplicate (and improve upon) using a fairly inexpensive non-slot occupying magic item.
Not to mention being overshadowed by a pretty common 3rd-level spell (Prayer) that affects the entire party.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
FreeTheSlaves said:
Stat generation results can make the more sizeable +2 bonus more appealing if you have a glaring penalty on a bad save or good stat bonuses to 2 of the 3. I would look at the individual character's strengths and weaknesses and the role they want before making a choice.

Another problem with the argument that LotH is so good is it there are multiple methods of curing the same problem. LotH may be good, but it is not the only good option.

If I have a Will save problem, I will get Iron Will and save pennies for the Cloak of Resistance.

If I have a Fort save problem, I will get a +n Con item.

If I have a Refl save problem , I will get a +n Con item. The extra HPs will help me survive those failed saves.

ivocaliban

First Post
I seem to recall a Ring of Heroes which provides the same benefit. I assume it would be upgraded to include the +1 AC bonus as well?

Staffan

Legend
ivocaliban said:
I seem to recall a Ring of Heroes which provides the same benefit. I assume it would be upgraded to include the +1 AC bonus as well?
It ought to cost more if it does. A +1 luck bonus to AC is worth 2500 gp, and a +1 luck bonus to saves is worth 2000. Increasing the cheaper one by 50% because of multiple abilities in one item, you get 2500 + 2000*1.5 = 5,500 gp.

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
Ridley's Cohort said:
If I have a Will save problem, I will get Iron Will and save pennies for the Cloak of Resistance.

If I have a Fort save problem, I will get a +n Con item.

If I have a Refl save problem , I will get a +n Con item. The extra HPs will help me survive those failed saves.
This is true in the longer term and LotH fills that immediate niche at a cost.

For the expense of a 1st level feat you get an overall numerically superior boost to saves well before you could afford the magic goodies. Also LotH, by being a 1st level feat choice, will give greater mileage over the life of the character than say the fighter waiting for 6th level to pick iron will (seemingly quite common).

I have just started a new campaign at 1st level and although we level up fast (every 3 sessions) any choices of delayed gratification over immediate benefit does indeed hurt. I had no room for LotH (or a few other good feats) but Lightning Reflexes is still a reasonable option for later, depending on how the campaign develops.

Overall I feel that LotHs is a well balanced feat that should appeal to some but not all characters.

Gez

First Post
OK. Let say you can spend three feats to improve your saves, and you DM lets you take feats several times, even if it isn't normally allowed.

Would you take Iron Will+Lightning Reflexes+Great Fortitude (+2 everywhere, so a net total of +6), or take Luck of Heroes three times (+1 luck bonus, +1 luck bonus, and +1 luck bonus everywhere, so a net total of +3) ?

With IW, LR, and GF, you get a +2 bonus, but a strong +2. A worthy +2. With LoH, you get a +3, but a weak +3. A +3 that'll get surpassed by items, spells, and prestige class abilities.

So it's good, but not that good.

Sithobi1

First Post
The problem with your example is you make LoH not stack. If you did, you would have +3 everywhere, and that surpasses the IW, LR, GF set.

azmodean

First Post
Staffan said:
Not to mention being overshadowed by a pretty common 3rd-level spell (Prayer) that affects the entire party.

Gah, this thread went two years without anyone mentioning prayer, so I thought I'd be the first to mention it, but at the very end of the thread it comes up. I mean prayer, doesn't this get cast all of the time, especially at lower levels where a +1 is actually a big deal?

In my opinion, LoH would be balanced with the other save enhancing feats if it was an unnamed bonus, but since it is a named bonus (even a rare one) it starts looking pretty weak.

I'd house rule it as a unnamed bonus (without the AC bonus), but I wouldn't expect many players to take it for their characters.

Remove ads