Is material from Unearthed Arcana allowed?

El Jefe

First Post
LEW is all SRD and house rules. Open source content can be voted in by the concurrence of 3 judges, start a proposal thread. Non-open source content cannot be used for copyright reasons, but independently-generated material that is similar to Non-open source content yet sufficiently different enough to avoid copyright infringement may be voted in as a house rule (again, with a proposal thread and 3 judge's OK).

As an example, if you wanted a Red Wizard of Thay, that's not in the SRD. It is in the DMG, but the DMG is not open source content. So, short answer, you couldn't have a "Red Wizard of Thay" in EnWorld.

Now, you could have a "Blue Wizard of Fallon" that was somewhat similar to a Red Wizard of Thay. "Somewhat" similar means that you couldn't just copy the Red Wizard of Thay description out of the DMG and change "red" to "blue" and "Thay" to "Fallon" everywhere in the description, you actually have to write your own PrC that may borrow some of the concepts of the DMG RWoT.

You then put your "Blue Wizard of Fallon" into a proposal thread, people comment on it, and eventually (days to months) the judges get around to approving or disproving it as part of EnWorld.

IcyCool

First Post
I understand how things get approved here in EnWorld, but for some reason, I'd gotten it into my head that Unearthed Arcana was part of the SRD. It is OGC, but anything allowed from it has to be approved, yes? And if that is the case, where might I find a list of things in UA that have been approved?

orsal

LEW Judge
IcyCool said:
I understand how things get approved here in EnWorld, but for some reason, I'd gotten it into my head that Unearthed Arcana was part of the SRD. It is OGC, but anything allowed from it has to be approved, yes? And if that is the case, where might I find a list of things in UA that have been approved?

Look at the sticky threads in this forum labelled "Record". In particular, the Rules and Mechanics thread should have all crunchy house rules approved so far -- PrCs, feats, new races and the like. The fluffier stuff might be found in the Deities thread and the LEW Guide thread. Now, any material borrowed from UA will be mixed in with homebrew and other sources, but it should all be there, and there's not too much of it to browse through.

Note that if UA material is proposed as a house rule, it might be modified before being approved, so there's no guarantee that the version which we eventually adopt is identical to the published version.

IcyCool

First Post
It appears that Craft Points would be the only bit from UA that's been approved thus far. Well, thanks for the info!

Bront

The man with the probe
IcyCool said:
It appears that Craft Points would be the only bit from UA that's been approved thus far. Well, thanks for the info!
No, that's not true

Racial Paragon classes have been approved.

A few other tidbits have been approved.

And craft points have been tweeked a bit so are not straight from the UA.

Check the mechanics thread.

Remove ads