Is Pathfinder meant to be "boutique D&D?"

Mercurius

Legend
By way of disclaimer, let me start by saying that I've never played Pathfinder; I haven't played 3.x in almost fifteen years. I generally prefer the "rules medium" feel of 5E to the heaviness of 3.x/Pathfinder.

But this isn't about that - about stylistic preferences. As I wrote in another thread, I've been wondering how Paizo sees the way forward - what the intentions are behind a 2E, especially when the first edition of Pathfinder was a "let's keep 3.x alive" feel, and P2 seems a bit of a divergence.

I browsed through the book for a few minutes yesterday, have read and listened to a few reviews, but haven't dived into the book or system in any great depth. But one thing I've noticed is not just the level of detail relative to 5E, but how many little touches that add not only detail and granularity, but flavor.

So why "boutique?" Ever been to one of those gelato shops that sells flavors tike Laverndaer Bliss or Burnt Caramel Bourbon? I don't see Pathfinder 2 being that high-brow in intention, but I do wonder if that is the RPG-equivalent niche Paizo is going for.

They must realize that P2 is coming out in a very different context than P1 was: mainly that the current version of D&D is widely lauded and more popular than ever. Where P1 was intended to served those unhappy with 4E D&D and/or continue 3.x, even to the point of viable competition with the top dog, I highly doubt that Paizo is trying to go mano a mano with Wizards of the Coast.

But what if the intention is more of a boutique, high-brow alternative?

Now understand that while I get into high-brow things--whether it is beer, food, music, artsy films, etc--inn reality I'm rather omnivorous: I don't like total trash, but I do love a good rom-com, a good cheeseburger, but I also love art films, maple-glazed bison burgers, etc. I tend to lean more towards the high-brow, but I also like the accessibility and ease-of-play of a simpler game than what P2 seems to be, in a similar sense that sometimes I prefer Nora Ephron to Shane Carruth, even though I enjoy the films of both.

What brought me to this question was listening and reading reviews and hearing about any number of design detail that I couldn't help but think, "That's a good idea - wish that was in 5E."

Again, I love 5E - in my mind they really hit the sweet spot. And I don't foresee myself playing P2 (though I am consider buying it for reading enjoyment). But I am just wondering if this is what Paizo had in mind. In a sense they're taking the natural step forward from P1, which was "Hey wait a minute, we still love 3.x!" Now they're saying, or seemingly saying, "OK, we did that for a decade but we want to improve upon it. Here's the game that we, the designers at Paizo, want to play."

So if 5E was designed to both bring back the player base and create an evergreen version of the game that can draw in new fans, while embodying the classic feel of the game--all design goals that they hit out of the ballpark--could it be that Pathfinder 2 was designed to create a boutique D&D play experience?

As a side note, one thing that makes me question this hypothesis is the art. I am lukewarm on Shane Reynolds, enjoying a lot of his work until it veers a bit too far into the anime-esque, but I found a lot of the art to be a bit...cartoonish. But I almost didn't mention this as I barely skimmed through the book.

Zardnaar

Legend
WAR is catoonish and seems to be an acquired tastes. the non humanoid art is very good but yeah his art is cartoony.

They probably hit peak pathfinder years ago and sales were flat/low. Eventually you will hit saturation point.

If they offered more 5E type stuff there no real point in buying PF2, they doubled down on crunch. I assume its for anyone who likes a more crunchy game, I don't think they plan on being number one and there is no real viable way anyway IMHO.

All PF2 has to do is sell better in 2019 than Pathfinder 1 would have done. If it pulls that off and they don't lose money its a success.

Just to touch on the art. I liked how they made goblins their own back in PF1e. You could see one with no other context and know right away it was PF. Now, however, it seems like they just went over board with it. I appreciated the art style back then but I find it a bit off putting now.

So why "boutique?" Ever been to one of those gelato shops that sells flavors tike Laverndaer Bliss or Burnt Caramel Bourbon? I don't see Pathfinder 2 being that high-brow in intention, but I do wonder if that is the RPG-equivalent niche Paizo is going for.

They must realize that P2 is coming out in a very different context than P1 was: mainly that the current version of D&D is widely lauded and more popular than ever. Where P1 was intended to served those unhappy with 4E D&D and/or continue 3.x, even to the point of viable competition with the top dog, I highly doubt that Paizo is trying to go mano a mano with Wizards of the Coast.

But what if the intention is more of a boutique, high-brow alternative?
So if 5E was designed to both bring back the player base and create an evergreen version of the game that can draw in new fans, while embodying the classic feel of the game--all design goals that they hit out of the ballpark--could it be that Pathfinder 2 was designed to create a boutique D&D play experience?
I find this to be a fascinating conjecture so I ended my long time lurk to register and throw in my two cents.

Once I read your post, I couldn't help but agree with your hypothesis. My group recently gave a test run on Pathfinder 2 after a long stint with 5e and we all were extremely excited after the first few sessions this past week. I can confidently say that our next few series of campaigns will be solidly Pathfinder 2, but that would likely have never been the case if we didn't come from 5e. I think the fact that we only enjoy Pathfinder 2 because we came from a long period playing 5e is what lends credence to your boutique conjecture; what do you think?

As a way of explaining further why I feel your idea is spot on, let me elaborate how we approached Pathfinder 2. To us, Pathfinder 2 feels like "D&D 5e advanced" in more ways than just extra crunch. The three action combat system feels like a revelation and the simple act of making acts such as "raise a shield," "close/open a door," and "draw a crossbow from your pack," cost 1 action add extremely satisfying tactical choice to the combat. As an example, our 1st level ranger was in a shoot out with goblins in the Rise of the Runelords glassworks and agonized over using his last action to take a shot, hide, move, point out the hidden goblins he had a bead on to everyone else, or close the door he was standing in front of.

I never would have imagined that taking something which was "free" in d&d and making it cost an action would increase my player's enjoyment, but there you go. That's what really makes me feel like your talk of a "boutique" d&d experience is spot on. After all, making things more complicated is definitely something only those with more rarefied tastes will seek out, surely?

ccs

41st lv DM
After all, making things more complicated is definitely something only those with more rarefied tastes will seek out, surely?

No, it's just the progression of how games/gaming/editions generally go. It just happens. The more you play the more bits & pieces you'll add to your games.
There's no rarified tastes involved.

CapnZapp

Legend
They must realize that P2 is coming out in a very different context than P1 was
I sure hope so. But honestly I'm not sure. There are too many indications Paizo worked in a Pathfinder bubble to ignore...

That is, I really wish Pathfinder 2 learns from what 5E does really really well. But I can't be sure...

CapnZapp

Legend
All PF2 has to do is sell better in 2019 than Pathfinder 1 would have done. If it pulls that off and they don't lose money its a success.
Don't be ridiculous, Zard.

Just stemming the downward curve is never enough, for any company.

If PF2 sells as well as PF2 did in its first few years, THAT'S a success.

What PF2 needs to do, is to generate enough income for Paizo to afford to keep its staff, and its rate of supplement output.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
I don't think Paizo intended PF2 to be "boutique", although I think it will be.

With the competition of the very successful and accessible D&D 5e, they instead focused elsewhere: customisation. The phletora of available options is, I assume, what most PF1 players enjoy and it is what they built PF2 on.

Which is why I predict PF2 will become "boutique"; it offers sort of an "advanced D&D" experience.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't know about boutique -- I'd say slightly more advanced (in terms of mechanical depth). It might scratch an itch for some players.

Remove ads