D&D 5E Is R.A. Salvatore's "Hero" the last Forgotten Realms book?

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
How often do you think script writers *really* do their research?
How many Star Wars novels do you think Abrams really consume before writing the movies? Hasbro has a huge story bible for the Transformers franchise. How much do you think Bay read of it? (And the writers and directors of Transformers Prime ignored much of it anyway).

Exactly. How much do they do and how much will WotC sacrifice just to get a movie, any movie made.

Will we end up with a white Drizzt Dourden and his sexy female companion Bruenor?

EbbTide808

First Post
But as you say, "The D&D brand is the most valuable part." But how valuable is it? My guess is that the profits from a SINGLE action-movie blockbuster vastly exceed the value of the D&D brand name, and that Hasbro would be willing to sell if the price was right.

Thr industry is looking for the next marvel comics franchise. They've burnt most of the fantasy and sci fI novel base, gone through most of the YA, and they know franchises like Star Wars and marvel are worth not just hundreds of millions but billions. Hasbro is cognizant that too. That's why it's been courting Warner for years.

The studios figured out how to crack the comic nut a few years ago. Right now they're trying to figure out how to crack the video game nut. But D&D could be worth as mint if they can just figure out how to deliver it correctly to the masses. The deep mythology and various storylines represent something similar to the marvel franchise, but different. And LOTR and game of thrones are just two examples of how fantasy sells. Both Hasbro and Warner are hoping to hit it out of the park.

EbbTide808

First Post
I seem to recall that being either unofficial (at the bar during GenCon) or way back during the TSR days...

No, I'm pretty sure I heard multiple of the authors talk about it, maybe at a GenCon panel I heard on a podcast, and they said, at least for the sundering, that they got together and planned out the large strokes of what they were all doing. But the implication, or maybe they just came out and said it, was that it wasn't a one off thing.

Derren

Hero
The deep mythology and various storylines represent something similar to the marvel franchise, but different. And LOTR and game of thrones are just two examples of how fantasy sells. Both Hasbro and Warner are hoping to hit it out of the park.

I do not think D&D and FR in particular is suitable for this. Both LOTR and GOT were created with care to tell a specific story (even when GOT takes a lot of inspiration from history). FR on the other hand is a barely holding together kitchen sink of everything someone thought being "kewl" at some point. FR also lacks the iconic characters Marvel had to recreate its success.

Prism

Explorer
The biggest example of snarl I can think of for the 5e events is mostly in the timing of them all. Archmage, if I recall, suggests that Rage of Demons happens after Tyranny of Dragons in 1486, while the AL season 1 events are supposed to be concurrent with the Hardcovers, but takes place in 1489.
Additionally, the AL modules have their Rage of Demons event take place after the Elemental Evil Season, whereas Chris Perkins said at gamehole that Rage of Demons took place while the Sundering was still happening (And is supported by Ashes in the Tyrant being mid-Sundering but having events from Rage affecting it), placing it before Princes of the Apocalypse, which is set a couple years after the Sundering.

This suggests that Rage of Demons is either a very long event in-universe, or we have continuity errors.

The only adventure that is really out of place is Princes of the Apocalypse which states within it that it takes place in 1491. This pretty much sets it after all of the other released adventures up to Storm Kings Thunder. Storm Kings Thunder contains an encounter with cultists from the elemental evil air cult which suggests that they are in the early days of their plans.

The various novels have tie ins to the Dragon Queen story line (Salvatore and Evans), then the Rage of Demons story line (Salvatore and Evans again), then the Storm Kings Thunder story line (Ed Greenwood - he also alludes to a rising elemental evil cult in the North).

I know this conflicts with AL and its timeline of events - that needs to be what it needs to be to allow for character continuation but I feel it is the least official.

Of course all of this is only important if you care about such things as an official timeline

gyor

Legend
Sometimes in business, you decide to stop doing a profitable thing because you realize the time and capital required to generate that profit could be more profitable if you invested it somewhere else. It's called "opportunity cost". When you decide to take one opportunity, it may preclude you from taking other, better opportunities.

Thank you, now I have an idea of what sort of scum sucking corporate BS excuse they used to justify what was likely a cut throat corporate politics decision.

I hope who is ever responsible for this choice of ending the novel line gets the well deserve firing they've clearly deserve for being greedly selfish corporate scum.

gyor

Legend
The only real problem that I could see trying to get everything going along together would be for one part to just start doing what ever they wanted, which would most likely be the movie part because the novels and game parts have been working for years now.

But that is not really what WotC wants. It wants us all to play the same adventures which means the specifics are pretty certain for a large part of your audience already. Everyone who plays Against the Giants may not be fighting the same guys but they are going to be doing the same story.

I would say at least from the Sundering but if you look at someone like Chris Perkins he would probably read all of them. Besides the novels is that not what the Story bibles are for? Also did Wotc not hire someone to be their continuity guy? Is Ed not answering his emails now? There are so many resources that could be used.

I am pretty sure Bob said they used to have a meeting every year or so to co-ordinate and bounce ideas off each other.

I would rather have Bay then someone like JJ Abrams. Now that would be a Blockbuster!

Yeah me too. I never thought Transformers would translate to the big screen well at all, I thought it would be a lame childerns movie, but instead Michael Bay made it awesome, made the characters fun, ect...

People love to hate on Michael Bay, I thinks its because he makes movies to appeal to men unapologetically, which is a high crime. You know if Michael Bay directed their would be some one in "inapproitate armour", which is the sort of stuff Michael Bay does that upsets some people and yet generates massive profits for him, because he knows how to do it right. But you need to hook him up with an writer that is a huge realms fan.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah me too. I never thought Transformers would translate to the big screen well at all, I thought it would be a lame childerns movie, but instead Michael Bay made it awesome, made the characters fun, ect...

People love to hate on Michael Bay, I thinks its because he makes movies to appeal to men unapologetically, which is a high crime. You know if Michael Bay directed their would be some one in "inapproitate armour", which is the sort of stuff Michael Bay does that upsets some people and yet generates massive profits for him, because he knows how to do it right. But you need to hook him up with an writer that is a huge realms fan.

This post exemplifies why I believe firmly that War ers can deliver a commercial success, artistic considerations aside. And for supporting the game, the commercial side is what benefits the hobby.

Valetudo

Adventurer
The problem with bay isnt that hes bad at making movies. Its that he :):):):)s with the canon story lines in weird ways. His movies that are not tied to those are alot better.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
The problem with bay isnt that hes bad at making movies. Its that he :):):):)s with the canon story lines in weird ways. His movies that are not tied to those are alot better.
Not really. I found The Island a good, thoughtful look at a sci fi issue...and then halfway through turned into a Michael Bay movie...

Up until then I hadn't really considered him much, despite the jokes. Then I realized that the jokes were true.

https://youtu.be/_wYtG7aQTHA

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Remove ads