D&D 5E Is R.A. Salvatore's "Hero" the last Forgotten Realms book?

Valetudo

Adventurer
My guess is that Wizards of the Coast sold the novel rights to Warner Brothers as part of the merchandising rights to the upcoming film.

No big studio wants to make a movie when they can make a movie AND action figures AND video games AND apparel AND tie-in novels AND comic books AND lunch-boxes AND birthday-party plates AND etc. etc. etc.

So it's possible that Wizards has the right to continue producing their current D&D action figures/video games/apparel/novels, etc., but not the right to produce new ones. Warner wants to control that, to maximize their merchandising. And because Warner has a publishing arm and a well-oiled merchandising machine, they're going to use that to decide what novels to write and who should author them.

For a concrete example of how licensing rights can flip around like this, when Cryptic Studios acquired the rights to Champions, they got all the rights. Then they licensed the right to produce the RPG back to Hero Games. It's because video games are much bigger business than RPGs, and nobody's going to invest a ton of money into a video game without having solid control of the rights.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me too much if Warner Brothers now owns all the rights to D&D and licenses RPG production back to Wizards; although Hasbro has a lot more clout than Hero Games so it's possible that Warner only has film and merchandising rights.
considering how bad they where burned with there last movie deal, this seems unlikely.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
considering how bad they where burned with there last movie deal, this seems unlikely.

That deal was made by the notoriously mismanaged TSR. We are talking here about a (hypothetical) deal between Hasbro and Warner Bros. Those guys know how this stuff works.

Remember that Hasbro is in it for the MONEY. They don't really care that the previous D&D movies were failures. (Actually those movies made a lot of money -- just not for Wizards.) They only care about the transaction with Warner Bros., and if they can make more money by letting WB handle the novel line, they'd do it in a heartbeat.

(DISCLAIMER: I still have no idea what I'm talking about! I love this thread!)

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Didn't get a "no more D&D, ever!" vibe; seemed to have a lot of fun with the WotC talking about the topic.

Even though in the Tome Show interview she said that Ashes of the Tyrant was supposed to be the last one novel and then she managed to negotiate one more?

I understand that she wants to remain professional with Wotc but there were no hints that anything is in the pipe line at all.

EbbTide808

First Post
Even though in the Tome Show interview she said that Ashes of the Tyrant was supposed to be the last one novel and then she managed to negotiate one more?

I understand that she wants to remain professional with Wotc but there were no hints that anything is in the pipe line at all.

agreed. It was actually stated clearly that she was now going off and creating her own thing, which meant she had to come up with her own magic system and geography, the idea of doing which she thought sucked.

I was listening to see if WotC was going to speak to why it was the last one, but they never did. I didn't actually expect them too, but one can hope.

A single continuity may work for Transformers where you only have two sides fighting each other but for the Forgotten Realms with its huge size and cast it really seems doubtful.
Transformers was one example. Star Wars might be more apt.
Still, you don't want the novels going off and doing one thing, while the movies do another, while the games do a third. Not until you have an idea how successful the movies are.

Besides which, what about the six monthly adventures? They would interfere with the movies just as much as a novelist can.
The twice annual storyline? Maybe a little. But the events of those are only somewhat canon and the specifics are uncertain.

I really do not believe WotC should cater to Movie writers that can not be bothered to at least try and get them selves up to speed with what is going on.
And how many novels are they expected to read before writing a movie?
Every FR? All twenty-ish Drizzt novels? Just the last couple dozen? The ten or so since the Sundering came out?

They already have meetings where WotC brings all the writers together to talk about what is going on so the novels do not trip over themselves.
They had a summit for the Sundering. But I'm not sure they do that for every novel. They likely just have one staff member coordinate with the writers.

EbbTide808

First Post
It honestly wouldn't surprise me too much if Warner Brothers now owns all the rights to D&D and licenses RPG production back to Wizards; although Hasbro has a lot more clout than Hero Games so it's possible that Warner only has film and merchandising rights.

(DISCLAIMER: I have no actual information about this, and no idea what I am talking about. Whee!)

im pretty sure that sweet pea never gave up the movie rights that warmer and Hasbro were trying to sue to acquire back, and that's why sweet pea is co-producing. I also don't believe Hasbro is going to give up the rights to the D&D brand. That's actually the most valuable part. The rpg just sustains the brand. If they can partner with Warner and successfully turn it into a franchise like marvel or lotr, it will make both of them tons of cash. Also, Hasbro is never giving up the rights to action figures. It's what they do. Again, I expect here that they're entering into a partnership that's mutually beneficial.

That at being said, I don't think wizards killed the book line due to lack of profitability. And I have difficulty with the whole idea that multiple writers can't write in the same setting without causing continuity problems in the cannon. That's the whole point of Chri Perkins producing a story bible, which is a very standard thing to do when you're trying to align novels, comics, video games, movies, etc in the same universe.

But it does make sense that they're trying to focus their message, and probably reduce their "hero" characters as the movie gets closer.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
im pretty sure that sweet pea never gave up the movie rights that warmer and Hasbro were trying to sue to acquire back, and that's why sweet pea is co-producing. I also don't believe Hasbro is going to give up the rights to the D&D brand. That's actually the most valuable part. The rpg just sustains the brand. If they can partner with Warner and successfully turn it into a franchise like marvel or lotr, it will make both of them tons of cash. Also, Hasbro is never giving up the rights to action figures. It's what they do. Again, I expect here that they're entering into a partnership that's mutually beneficial.
Hasbro wanted the rights back if anything. D&D's movie rights are a horrific quagmire few people understand and fewer people want to get involved with, and that's before you get into whatever is the deal with the fact that Chainmail might have separate rights that people thought were the D&D rights.

But it does make sense that they're trying to focus their message, and probably reduce their "hero" characters as the movie gets closer.

Yup. I think I've said a few times there's no way they're going to make a Dritz movie because that is basically bad PR waiting to happen, but if they might try something

(I just want them to just turn the IDW comics into a movie, because that was some good comic)

And what challenges would that be?

I could only speculate, as that being the issue was also merely speculation. I was simply saying that we don't know that it was a lie vs. them changing their position.

Given the number of properties that wiped away well built up continuities (star trek, star wars, spider man) to accommodate new properties, it definitely seems that a nebulous continuity is an easier row to hoe.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter

Those are really good points, and I hope you are right. That's a good insight about Hasbro producing the action figures. And a mutual partnership thing sounds like a good move, considering how involved Hasbro has been with both film merchandise AND the existing fan-base for D&D.

But as you say, "The D&D brand is the most valuable part." But how valuable is it? My guess is that the profits from a SINGLE action-movie blockbuster vastly exceed the value of the D&D brand name, and that Hasbro would be willing to sell if the price was right.

However I think it's more likely that you are right and that Hasbro kept the brand, like with Transformers and G.I. Joe.

(DISCLAIMER: I'm still just making stuff up! This is so fun!)

Weird Dave

Adventurer
Publisher
Has anyone heard anything regarding the Troy Denning Orcus novel? Chris Perkins mentions it specifically in the forward to Out of the Abyss. I bet that would have been a fun read, I always wondered what the Demon Prince of the Undead was doing down there in the Underdark. I think his storyline was supposed to be explored in Sword Coast Legends ... or Neverwinter ... or something else, perhaps just this lost novel.

Remove ads