Is Resource Management “Fun?”

Panzeh

Explorer
Also, while i've been negative on a lot of the granular resource management suggestions in the thread, i want to shout out a game that does it well-

Traveller, the old classic, in the mode of a tramp freighter campaign, has trade, adventure, and the economics of running such a ship intertwined- it's critical to actually have the finances be a part of the game to push the players into danger. If you really let the systems do the work, there's not a ton of things a GM has to do to make life complicated for the party, the world will do that.

The problem is, if the players aren't proficient in the systems it has, this will grind a game to a half, which, unfortunately, happens a lot when i've tried to run it. My RPG players just ain't gonna spreadsheet this stuff out so that kind of game goes out the window.

Also, while i've been negative on a lot of the granular resource management suggestions in the thread, i want to shout out a game that does it well-

Traveller, the old classic, in the mode of a tramp freighter campaign, has trade, adventure, and the economics of running such a ship intertwined- it's critical to actually have the finances be a part of the game to push the players into danger. If you really let the systems do the work, there's not a ton of things a GM has to do to make life complicated for the party, the world will do that.

The problem is, if the players aren't proficient in the systems it has, this will grind a game to a half, which, unfortunately, happens a lot when i've tried to run it. My RPG players just ain't gonna spreadsheet this stuff out so that kind of game goes out the window.
I have been blessed with a regular infusion of management types in my groups, for whom Excel is a way of life. Sheets that auto-calculate money conversions, ration consumption, and the like are the norm.

Remove ads