Is Science Fantasy the Next Big Thing™?

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
It will be interesting to see if the new Star Wars movie boosts interests in SW RPGs and, from there, it's just a hop, skip, and a jump to other forms of science fantasy.
This. New players are probably highly influenced by recent movies and video games. Us old vets, though, aren't so easily swayed.

Me, I'd love to play in a sci-fantasy game. I'd hate to run one though - too many place names to be responsible for at one time.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I didn't intend to stir the pot, but I am glad to see people defending/promoting/standing up for game systems they have enjoyed.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
This. New players are probably highly influenced by recent movies and video games. Us old vets, though, aren't so easily swayed.

Me, I'd love to play in a sci-fantasy game. I'd hate to run one though - too many place names to be responsible for at one time.

Yeah, and that's why I started with Star Wars and then started looking elsewhere. If you couple the lore density of the SW universe with the rules density of WotC's various SW RPGs you have a recipe for a full-time job just to create a half-decent weekly or fortnightly game session.

teitan

Legend
I tend to prefer science fantasy myself. Science fiction tends to have some players spewing how such and such isn't scientifically possible or "bad science". Science fantasy is fun. It is pulpy. It is fantastic.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I'll get on the bandwagon of saying 'what do you mean 'new'?' Science Fantasy has been around since Gamma World, and it's had it's ups and downs, but never left the scene. Star Wars, the various incarnations and ripoffs and homages of Barsoom, the implied world-jumping setting of GURPS, and dozens of genre-mashing homebrews. Draping super-science with the fantasy cloth is one of the oldest tropes in science fiction - indeed, most early fantasy was 'disguised' as science fiction so it would sell in a very non-Tolkien-hostile market: Dragonriders of Pern, Darkover, Witch World, etc, etc. There's still a lot of 'it's really all just super-science' fantasy that can be found.

Even the specific basic idea behind Numenera was almost done before, by the Digest Group: AI, set on a post-change world where priests called on nanotech to produce food or effects.

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
Don't forget Star Wars... sure it might have the space opera trappings but it's clearly influenced a bit by fantasy as well.

I consider Star Wars a romantic space fantasy western.

DM Howard

Explorer
Science fantasy isn't really something that I would ever be inspired enough to run myself. However, one or two of the people I normally play with could probably do a decent job. I can see them picking up Numenera or Titansgrave, and I'd certainly give it a go. We've never been inspired to play a Star Wars RPG though even though we are Star Wars fans. We enjoy our straight fantasy a lot I guess.

Jhaelen

First Post
Well, as the OP already points out, The Strange is pretty much just a 'spin-off' of Numenera. I wouldn't call that and Titansgrave as indicative of a trend.
And, are you personally interested and/or excited to play in a science fantasy game?
Not really. I don't like technology in my fantasy games.
I do like some fantasy elements in my science fiction, though, e.g. 'The Force' in Star Wars. Regarding RPGs I kind of enjoyed the weird mix that is 'Shadowrun' at least thematically, if not mechanically.
The latter is typically my main problem with 'science fantasy'. It's hard to come up with good rules that do both worlds justice. I'm most comfortable with the 'sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic' approach that is used e.g. by the 'Fading Suns' RPG.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Having been reminded of many "science fantasy" games over the decades, I now regret implying (saying? I haven't re-read my original post) that it was a new genre.

dont-call-it-a-come-backV2.jpg

Carry on. Nothing to see here.

Morlock

Banned
Banned
For me, the answer is yes. I'm designing a very science-fiction-y D&D setting, in fact. But I just see this as D&D, with a different emphasis, or more precisely, seen through a different lens. And I see this as something that's been there in D&D since the beginning.

Not really. I don't like technology in my fantasy games.

Neither do I. I don't even like Steampunk, for that reason.* I consider my setting "science fantasy" (among other things) because the setting feels far more like a science-fiction setting than a traditional fantasy D&D setting. Sort of like Dark Sun (which is the most similar setting I can think of, though not all that similar). It's the sort of setting that some players would look at and say, "ppfft, that's not science-fantasy or sci-fi, that's just D&D," because they've been playing up the more sword-and-sorcery and sci-fi aspects of D&D all along, so that's how they see "vanilla" D&D already. And other players would look at it and say, "wow, that's really out there and different," because they've been playing very fantasy-oriented D&D in the Realms (or whatever, fill in your standard fantasy setting here) all along.

I do like some fantasy elements in my science fiction, though, e.g. 'The Force' in Star Wars.

Exactly, that's one of the sci-fi elements I'm mixing in.

D&D really covers a wide range (when taken to include previous editions, and Pathfinder, I mean), and I'm really starting to enjoy that for the first time, since I've always been the second type of player I describe above.

*actually, I lie. I don't want the setting to have widespread technology, but exceptions like Expedition to the Barrier Peaks can be fun, and I'm fine with that.

Last edited:

Remove ads