Is Sigil on the inside of a ring or a donut?

dead

Explorer
I was wondering if any Sigil-gurus or PS fans could clear this up for me.

I always thought Sigil was on the inside of a ring. In other words, if you were standing in the city and walked to the *sides*, you'd be able to look out into the Void.

However, the map in the Planar Handbook seems to suggest that Sigil is on the inside of a donut. In other words, whether or not you walk on the horizontal axis or the vertical axis, you'll end up looping around to where you started. So, Sigil would have no "open" points where you'd look out on the Void. It would all be enclosed on the inside of a hollow donut.

Can anyone clear this matter up for me?

Thankyou.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
What little I read about it from a novel, it was like the donut analogy you mentioned. With the walls curving upwards and overhead.

Mmmm.....donuts....-->Homer Simpson

Incenjucar

Legend
Sigil's interior is U-shaped. We have no idea what it looks like beyond that curve. The 'donut' (torus is the proper word) that is always depicted is entirely a guess, (and it isn't a perfect torus anyways, since a torus doesn't curve within like that, so it's merely toroidial)

dead

Explorer
Incenjucar said:
Sigil's interior is U-shaped. We have no idea what it looks like beyond that curve. The 'donut' (torus is the proper word) that is always depicted is entirely a guess, (and it isn't a perfect torus anyways, since a torus doesn't curve within like that, so it's merely toroidial)

So . . . if it's U-shaped then it is not completely enclosed? You can look over the edge?

If you leap off the edge do you fall downwards?

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Actually, the best way to think of it is that it's in the inside of a tire. You can jump off over the edge, into the unrelenting greyness -- but no one who has has ever come back to tell about it.

Shemeska

Adventurer
The pic in the PlHB overstates the curvature on the edges of the torus more than it's normally assumed to be. You can go to the edge of the ring and look over the side, seeing 'nothing' effectively, but what happens when you jump over the side is an open question since not a single person has done so and returned.

Some claim you're sent to a random plane, some claim you fall down the spire (though you don't see the spire if you look over the side, in fact you see 'nothing'), and some claim other things. In the absence of evidence however it's an open question. I personally treat it as somewhere between oblivion and unexplained, you jump over the side and you're out of the scope of the campaign.

Last edited:

Henry

Autoexreginated
Actually, I'd just as soon tell the players that no matter WHERE they go, they can look up and see the curving city. It's planar spatial characteristics - it doesn't have to make sense to your eyes. :) Plus it has the advantage of just plain freaking them out.

Last edited:

SpuneDagr

Explorer
Planescape's Sigil is built on the inside of a ring. On clear days, you can look up and see across to the opposite side of the ring. The inside of the ring is a bit concave, the "ground" does curve like a halfpipe, but it is definitely a ring.

Lord knows what Wizards have done to Sigil since then.

Crothian

First Post
Dagger75 said:
I always wondered in Sigil; Are you always walking "down hill" or Up hill"?? Makes you wonder.

Uphill, it talks in the old second edition stuff how you can see the road in front of you have a slight curve up.

Remove ads