• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is "Spellcasting Prodigy" feat too powerful?

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
It is definitely overpowered relative to the feats you will find in the PHB.

As Artoomis already mentioned, this feat is screwed up for PCs that are not played all the way from 1st level. This feat is probably a non-optimal choice for a 1st level character, but it looks very attractive if you live to see 3rd level. That's an implicit "cost" of taking the feat that may or may not apply to some campaigns.

Nail

First Post
Ridley's Cohort said:
As Artoomis already mentioned, this feat is screwed up for PCs that are not played all the way from 1st level. This feat is probably a non-optimal choice for a 1st level character, but it looks very attractive if you live to see 3rd level. That's an implicit "cost" of taking the feat that may or may not apply to some campaigns.

Absolutely. As has been mentioned before, the feat Toughness looks to be amazingly underpowered and practically worthless....and yet those 3 extra hp at first level can mean the difference between life and death.

Unless, of course, your DM is a big ole softy. Otherwise, those orc javelin throwers would be aiming straight at the robe-wearing, dagger-toting mage the first chance they get.

"Mage-on-a-stick! Get 'em while they're still warm!"

IceBear

Explorer
Yeah, there are a lot of feats out there that become no brainers when you start at a level higher than first, but if you are 1st level those decisions become tougher :)

IceBear

DM_Matt

First Post
I take this feat with pretty much every mage I make, unless there is some other feat that he absolutely must have. If you use OA and ancestor feats it makes it less of a no-brainer though, beucase there are more L1 feats to compete with it.

LokiDR

First Post
DM_Matt said:
I take this feat with pretty much every mage I make, unless there is some other feat that he absolutely must have. If you use OA and ancestor feats it makes it less of a no-brainer though, beucase there are more L1 feats to compete with it.

I tend to powergame, and when I powergame I take prodigy for spellcasters. That doesn't makes it broken, it just doesn't fit every game. I don't allow it in my current game, incidently.

The Souljourner

First Post
Every archer takes point blank shot! It's broken! Every fighter takes weapon specialization! It's broken!

There are some feats that are just too good to ignore (unless you're making a very specialized character). That doesn't mean they're too good period. +1 to DCs and +1 spell is not spectacular. Is it good? Hell yeah. If you want to maximize your spellcasting ability are you going to take it? Damn straight. But you're also going to take Spell Penetration and Greater Spell Penetration (unless you're in a freaky universe with no spell resistance).

There are almost always "must take" feats if you're going for best of the best in one specific area.

Don't look at who takes it, just look at what it does. +1 spell and +1 to DCs is fine. Hell, you have to take it at first level, and chances are you're not even going to see the bonus spell until late.

-The Souljourner

Last edited:

bret

First Post
The Souljourner said:

Don't look at who takes it, just look at what it does. +1 spell and +1 to DCs is fine. Hell, you have to take it at first level, and chances are you're not even going to see the bonus spell until late.

-The Souljourner

Actually, you will see the effect pretty quick.

If you've got an 18 in your spell casting attribute, you would see the effect at 1st level since it would give a bonus first level spell. If it is a 16, it will take you until 7th level (4th level spells) and then you will see it again at 8th level because you've bumpbed your main attribute twice.

I think it is a very difficult feat to pass up. It makes a big difference in how many of the higher level spells you will have and it stacks with everything.

I haven't played with it enough to tell if it is truely unbalanced, but currently I suspect it is.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
I think it may be slightly too good. The +1 DC to all schools is enough to balance it roughly with spell focus, the extra spells push it a bit over the top IMO.

Remove ads