• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is the 15 minute adventuring day now the 90 minute adventuring day?

Propheous_D

First Post
I think that this may be a bit of a stretch. If anything I will say that the milage each party gets will greatly vary each day based on the make up and tactics they use. I can easily seeing a defender heavy party lasting alot longer then a striker heavy party. Since leaders are not as important as their clerical counterparts in that it would seem that they use charges of the healing surges the character they are healing has you may only need one of them and some back up healing method.

I have another point about encounters I Am going to start a new thread for that just came in my head.

Bayonet_Chris

First Post
Setting expectations

There is no rule one way or another about how any DM allows his players to act. Players can be twinks and rules lawyers only by the DM's consent. If the players act in a way that you, as the DM, think is abusing the spirit of the rules or just plain lame, it's up to you to correct the situation.

If you're OK with a 15, 60, or 90 minute adventuring day followed by 20+ hours of laying around being unproductive, then go with it. I am not, so my players won't get away with something like that without some sort of reprecussion.

broghammerj

Explorer
I still think people will camp once their daily powers are gone. The only difference is now the whole group will be demanding it, not just the wizard. Yeah you could go on but why when you can rest and be at full power. (Mind you I too never saw the 15 min adventuring day)

My other question is why healing surges? Basically all they do is expand the HP pool which can be accomplished in a number of ways.....wand of CLW, cleric spells, raising overall permanant HPs. I would much rather have more HP per person and have some sort of critical mechanic that brings you immediately to bloodied and if you're bloodied take you down to 10HP (or something). Still keeps the threat of death. Now with healing surges I dont think it will happen unless you're a 1st level character fighting a 4th level dragon.

kennew142 said:
I've seen it many times.
Wow, I'm sorry. I have to go with Sammael and Bayonet Chris, I've never seen it, and if anyone tried it, neither me nor any DMs I've ever had would have tolerated it.

In my opinion, if players are really annoying in twinking the rules, there's only so much the mechanics can do to prevent that. Annoying players are annoying players, regardless of the rules. *shrug*

hexgrid

Explorer
Brown Jenkin said:
Oops I missed that. That means that the adventuring day is now 30 minutes instead of three 30 minute blocks spread across the day like I thought.

How many minutes of each day should be taken up with life-or-death combat, anyway?

Sounds like adventurers need to unionize.

LowSpine

First Post
The little rests are only 5mins. It's just a little sit down before you continue. It is just to break up encounters (so the encounter powers reset) and get some recovery.

Andur

First Post
Well most actual combat I've ever seen a party do in one day was 5 minutes, that is 50, 6 second rounds.

However, DnD shouldn't be too much "hurry up and wait". But there is quite a bit of action "behind the scenes". Just getting to a combat takes some time. Your "downtime" gets "fleshed out" by botht he DM and the players, and people who don't like it will want to skip ahead, people who do will want to take in all the details, roleplay, skill check, or any number of other various ways to interact with each other and the campaign world. Neither is "right" nor "wrong".

kennew142

First Post
kenmarable said:
Wow, I'm sorry. I have to go with Sammael and Bayonet Chris, I've never seen it, and if anyone tried it, neither me nor any DMs I've ever had would have tolerated it.

In my opinion, if players are really annoying in twinking the rules, there's only so much the mechanics can do to prevent that. Annoying players are annoying players, regardless of the rules. *shrug*

I've seen it mainly in RPGA games and other convention games. We have one player who wants to use all of his big spells in the first encounter every day and then rest up. It annoys the heck out of me.

drothgery

First Post
Sammael said:
I've never, EVER seen the so-called 15-minute adventuring day in actual play, and I've gamed with some fairly diverse groups.

You've never done a scry-buff-teleport on a BBEG?

Or reached the point where Heal and/or Mass Heal are the only useful in-combat healing spells, so when the cleric's out of them, you're done for the day (or, why high-level parties pretty much won't do more than two or three level-approriate combat encounters per day if they can manage it, despite the base assumption of 4)?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
kennew142 said:
I've seen it mainly in RPGA games and other convention games. We have one player who wants to use all of his big spells in the first encounter every day and then rest up. It annoys the heck out of me.

We've seen it less with big attack spells, and more with healing.

Lowish level, no Magic Item Marts in the setting (and so no Wands of Cure Light Wounds or Vigor were available to us at the time). Our big combat yesterday, we ran out of healing before everyone was at max, so the first thing we do the next morning is burn through half the healing spells the druid and cleric have available. We press on, have a combat, and polish off the remaining healing to fix the results of that fight... and then we're left with the decision to make. Carry on further with no healing spells? Or find somewhere to hide until dawn?

So I've certainly seen the 5 minute day myself.

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads