D&D (2024) Is the 5E player base going to split?

Reynard

Legend
How so? Not only can you make endless campaigns of your own (a long and storied tradition particularly w/ dnd), but there are massive volumes of 5e content out there, not just from wotc, but also from 3rd party and individual publishers. Again, it's not like a videogame where you play the official content and then you're done.
Many people are locked in to the idea that a game is dead if new stuff isn't coming out for it, and only WotC material is valid. That's true even on this board full of Greying GenXers. Whether is is a reasonable position is irrelevant, because it's about how people feel.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Plus making your own material is more work than going to your FLGS (or wherever you buy new books) and purchasing it.

(Yeah, I know, 3rd party, but you never know what kind of quality you're getting there- my friend has some 3rd party D&D books and we like to make fun of how absolutely busted some of that stuff is.)

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Always be hold outs. Some will keep holding out while the majority gets the new stuff.

Same when 6E comes out.

One lesson I’ve learned, only hang onto the essentials. You don’t need Monster Manual 3 and PHB Expanded and 10 adventurer books you’ll never play again. Just keep the (new) core 3 and then your fave setting or 2 to hang on to to convince yourself you don’t need 6E and then you’ll feel better about yourself when you finally do by 6E and you don’t have a ton of old books you’ll rarely touch again taking up space .

Always be hold outs. Some will keep holding out while the majority gets the new stuff.

Same when 6E comes out.

One lesson I’ve learned, only hang onto the essentials. You don’t need Monster Manual 3 and PHB Expanded and 10 adventurer books you’ll never play again. Just keep the (new) core 3 and then your fave setting or 2 to hang on to to convince yourself you don’t need 6E and then you’ll feel better about yourself when you finally do by 6E and you don’t have a ton of old books you’ll rarely touch again taking up space .
Nah. Adventures are cool even if you only play them once. The new monster book is made to be used with the new Core, so harm in getting that either.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Where is this? I haven't seen a thread about free Monstrous Compendiums. Do you have a link?
@JEB Linked the D&D Beyond site where they mention it will be a monthly series (though they only have a few days to follow through on that), and they said in the after direct Q&A it was a free series.

I think it is to drum up business the way they dud during peak lockdown, with free material to get people going.

Remove ads