Is the Character on the Players Handbook Cover Draconic?

Zamkaizer

First Post
I was examining the cover of the 4th Ed. Players Handbook again and, despite the lack of fine detail, thought that the spellcaster in the rear looked draconic. It's an unsubstantiated tangent, but it makes some sense in the context of both the game and illustration. After all, half-outsiders are to planetouched as half-dragons are to [?], and the spellcaster's (sorcerer's?) rouge skin, ridged tale, and horns could suggest a red dragon ancestor, such as the one featured on the cover of the 4th Ed. Dungeon Masters Guide. Sure, the fact that a tiefling in concept sketches (I can't locate a good finished version) is rocking the same physical traits should dissuade me from this tangent, but nows the time for rampant speculation, is it not?

And if the man in back is a tiefling, then what is the girl with horns in front?

hopeless

Adventurer
Hmm...

Zamkaizer said:
I was examining the cover of the 4th Ed. Players Handbook again and, despite the lack of fine detail, thought that the spellcaster in the rear looked draconic. It's an unsubstantiated tangent, but it makes some sense in the context of both the game and illustration. After all, half-outsiders are to planetouched as half-dragons are to [?], and the spellcaster's (sorcerer's?) rouge skin, ridged tale, and horns could suggest a red dragon ancestor, such as the one featured on the cover of the 4th Ed. Dungeon Masters Guide. Sure, the fact that a tiefling in concept sketches (I can't locate a good finished version) is rocking the same physical traits should dissuade me from this tangent, but nows the time for rampant speculation, is it not?

And if the man in back is a tiefling, then what is the girl with horns in front?

Didn't actually notice the horns on the girl in front, if tht is the case then they're probably both tieflings except the one at the back has either draconic or fiendish heritage (in addition to being a tiefling maybe he's a cambion like Iuz.

Jhaelen

First Post
Zamkaizer said:
Both are tieflings. Perhaps the tiefling in the back has taken more racial feats to strengthen his extraplanar traits or he's simply attained a higher level.

Klaus said:
Y'know, that girl's armor has GOT to hurt.

It's a serious case of Hookerplate Boobmail, that's for sure.

I never noticed the horns on the girl before. That is interesting, kind of hinting at different levels of "Tiefling-ness". Though she looks like maybe she has Minotaur blood, as the Unearthed Arcana, but that seems unlikely in the PHB.

Klaus

First Post
Ruin Explorer said:
It's a serious case of Hookerplate Boobmail, that's for sure.

I never noticed the horns on the girl before. That is interesting, kind of hinting at different levels of "Tiefling-ness". Though she looks like maybe she has Minotaur blood, as the Unearthed Arcana, but that seems unlikely in the PHB.
From the way her torso is extended and contorted, I'm voting for yuan-ti. :eek:

Zamkaizer

First Post
Wizards has always taken a very affirmative action approach with their cover art. I can't think of a single sourcebook cover that featured multiple characters of the same race. I think, then, that it would be odd for the Players Handbook, with its multitude of races, to feature members of only one on its cover. Tenuous logic, therefore, dictates that the two are of separate heredity.

Remove ads