• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is the economic crisis affecting your gaming purchasing?

Is the economic crisis affecting your gaming spending?

• Yes, severly.

Votes: 23 10.8%
  • Yes, moderately.

Votes: 32 15.1%
  • Yes, slightly.

Votes: 36 17.0%
  • Not at all.

Votes: 121 57.1%

Najo

First Post
So, I am curious if the economic crisis is affecting the way you are spending your gaming money. Please share how it is affecting your gaming hobby and what you are (or are not) purchasing.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Yes, it is. As gas and oil prices increase, so does my rent, and so do my utility bills (heat, anyhow). I've also had three jobs this year (I start the 3rd on the 27th), the first being lost as a result of the employer shifting operations off-shore due to the failing economy. I drive a minimum of 20 miles roundtrip to and from work every day. All of that stuff chips away at my gaming budget.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Nah.

But then, my spending had already slowed to the point of near-non-spending (!), some time before that kind of news started coming out, so I guess it's a moot point, really.

Will it affect my purchasing of game products? Well, that depends. Mainly, on just how widespread and serious the effects turn out being, and most of all the particulars of our incomes, dwelling, cost of living and so on here. Speculation seems. . . pointless?. . . and besides, that's one of the. . .

Never mind.

RefinedBean

First Post
Nope. If harder economic times are on their way, I feel it's best to purchase as much as possible now so that I can keep gaming as my most diverse AND least expensive hobby.

I mean, really, when you factor the total costs and divide it over the number of hours you actually spend at the hobby, it's an insanely cheap way to spend your time.

Which is good, because that leaves even more money for sweet, sweet alcohol.

delericho

Legend
No, but only because I've mostly stopped purchasing gaming books.

For D&D, I'm not buying anything more until I've actually tried 4e. At which point I might buy up the occasional supplement... but I've decided to try to avoid getting on the treadmill for this one.

I'm keeping my Pathfinder subscription up to date, and bought the Campaign Setting when it came out. But the next purchase I'm planning for that game will be the Core Rules when they are released a year from now.

The only other games we're planning on playing in the next two years or so are SWSE (which I'll be running core-rules only, but might invest in one of the era supplements, for either the Knights of the Old Republic or the Force Unleashed), and WFRP (for which our next campaign will be homebrewed, so no further purchases to make there).

So, between a lack of 'need' coupled with a lack of books that pique my interest, I'm not buying many books anyway, which means the economy isn't affecting my purchases. However, had this economy hit three or four years ago, it most certainly would have had an impact.

wedgeski

Adventurer
Not really, although I will soon become more selective in my purchasing. This is more to do with the fact that 4E is starting to mature a little and products are arriving which I can't ever see myself needing.

DeusExMachina

First Post
Only a personal financial crisis that has nothing to do with the global economic crisis, is influencing my spending pattern right now. Still means I probably won't buy anything beyond the power books and the phb 2 over the next year. No miniatures and such...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads