Is The Sunless Citadel a well-designed adventure module?

Is The Sunless Citadel a well-designed adventure module?

• Yes

Votes: 119 73.9%
  • No

Votes: 30 18.6%
  • Other

Votes: 12 7.5%

shilsen

Adventurer
I'm not a big fan of modules personally, but I think The Sunless Citadel is a pretty good one. While a couple of elements could use improvement, it does a solid job introducing 3e rules, which was one of the primary aims for it.

Khairn

First Post
GM'ed it for 3 different groups and everyone enjoyed the adventure ... not a single disenting voice.

Is it perfect ? Nope. But it is very good, and is a great springboard for a new group.

drothgery

First Post
Considering that at 10th level, our DM is still occasionally doing stuff from dangling plot hooks dropped during The Sunless Citadel, I'd say it was pretty good.

satori01

First Post
I'm surprised people are claiming it is perfect. Sunless Citadel works, it is usable, and not a bad entry dungeon. It is on par with Palace of the Silver Princess in my book, but perfect... hardly.

As a whole it just is not that much fun, that creative, or that inspiring.

Starman

Adventurer
satori01 said:
I'm surprised people are claiming it is perfect. Sunless Citadel works, it is usable, and not a bad entry dungeon. It is on par with Palace of the Silver Princess in my book, but perfect... hardly.

As a whole it just is not that much fun, that creative, or that inspiring.

Well, it is people's opinions after all.

seskis281

First Post
While not "perfect" - and guess what, no adventure ever is, certainly not my own homewritten - it was the arrival of Sunless Citadel and Forge of Fury that got me back into gaming. These modules were the 1st products in years that took me back to the early 80's, and I used them as well as the rest through Nightfang Spire as part of my own connected campaign on the world of Greyhawk (all were set in and around the Gran March of that world).

Indeed, it was the publication of these stand-alone, non-Forgotten Realms or other setting-attached adventures that gave me hope that WOTC would bring back D&D with 3e like I remembered. Then sadly they only published the one series and went back to expensive supplements and eternal revisions and additions, as well as falling back to only publishing adventure material for Forgotten Realms and the dungeonpunk world of Eberron. Had they stuck with just the core books, one set of supplements for classes, and really worked to turn out inexpensive modules like this one that could be set in any world I think they'd have really avoided some of the complaints of how they've supported (and manipulated) this new wave of D&D.

Pants

First Post
seskis281 said:
Then sadly they only published the one series and went back to expensive supplements and eternal revisions and additions, as well as falling back to only publishing adventure material for Forgotten Realms and the dungeonpunk world of Eberron.
It's not 'dungeon-punk,' it's 'mage-punk.'

Or it's anime, whichever nondescriptive term you wish to use.

Hussar

Legend
Had they stuck with just the core books, one set of supplements for classes, and D20 Publishers really worked to turn out inexpensive modules like this one that could be set in any world I think they'd have really avoided some of the complaints of how they've supported (and manipulated) this new wave of D&D.

There, fixed it for ya. ;)

Remove ads