• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is the Tarrasque tough enough?

Tormyr

Hero
That is what it can jump automatically; it can also make a Strength (Athletics) Skill Check to jump an exceptional distance. See page 175.

Hmmm. To reach 110 feet, it would need to jump double what it can automatically. What would be a good DC for that? Is the Tarrasque even coordinated enough to initiate a grapple at the apex of its jump? I am not so sure.

jadrax

Adventurer
Hmmm. To reach 110 feet, it would need to jump double what it can automatically. What would be a good DC for that? Is the Tarrasque even coordinated enough to initiate a grapple at the apex of its jump? I am not so sure.

It's hard to say on the DC because the guidelines do not cover jumping, but for jumping double what you can normally jump, Hard at DC 20 seems fair. That would give the Tarrasque a 50% success rate.

As for the Grapple, it would seem fair that it could make a bite attack, which would grapple automatically. Although pulling of a stunt midjump is also a listed use of a Strength (Athletics) check.

Tormyr

Hero
It's hard to say on the DC because the guidelines do not cover jumping, but for jumping double what you can normally jump, Hard at DC 20 seems fair. That would give the Tarrasque a 50% success rate.

As for the Grapple, it would seem fair that it could make a bite attack, which would grapple automatically. Although pulling of a stunt midjump is also a listed use of a Strength (Athletics) check.

But that 110 feet is with its fingertips. Its reach for its bite would be around 75 feet. Unless you use the art as an indicator that it can choose to get a lot taller.

EnglishLanguage

First Post
Mearls suggested using the rock attack of the Giants.

A houserule that I honestly agree with. Another thing I suggested elsewhere was giving the Tarrasque the ability to treat any improvised thrown weapon as having the Thrown property, so he can throw rocks, cows, chunks of building, each other, etc.

That said, it's still a houserule, and I try to stick to RAW as much as possible.

jadrax

Adventurer
But that 110 feet is with its fingertips. Its reach for its bite would be around 75 feet. Unless you use the art as an indicator that it can choose to get a lot taller.

Ok, so say the difficulty to jump high enough to get in bite range is Very Hard, CR 25? That's still enough of a threat to shut down most ping strategies. Even you make it Nearly Impossible at DC 30, the Tarrasque has a 5% chance of getting a bite attack in.

Where are you getting the Tarrasque's measurements from btw?

Edit: Aha, found it in paragrapht 2: A scaly biped, the tarrasque is fifty feet tall and seventy feet long, weighing hundreds of tons.

Last edited:

EnglishLanguage

First Post
I am not seeing this covered the rules, tbh. Do you have a page reference?

Apparently I was mistaken. Though strictly RAW is dumber than I thought. Improvised weapons that don't resemble other weapons deal only 1d4 damage. So the Tarrasque and Wizard are both going to be pinpricking each other to death, when the Tarrasque can even reach the Wizard since improvised thrown weapons only go out to 60 feet.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads