Is the War Over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanuslux

Explorer
I'm all for 4E, minor quibbles aside, but frankly I'm disgusted by the behavior of a handful of people on both sides of the edition war.

And to be frank, I feel like this thread is just a thinly veiled way to feed the edition war when there's a sticky post about a hold on edition war threads.

Wisdom Penalty

First Post
Vanuslux said:
And to be frank, I feel like this thread is just a thinly veiled way to feed the edition war when there's a sticky post about a hold on edition war threads.

Yah, I'm seeing the irony in posting a thread that's purpose is to usher out the days of those very types of threads.

So, ah, if anyone has the Power, feel free to lock, delete, move, or otherwise kick this thing to the curb.

Wis

jdrakeh said:
You know, I hadn't ventured to the WotC forums since the announcement of 4e until very recently. In retrospect, after doing so, I agree that all ENWorld posters should count themselves lucky.
Hmmm. We could always go back to message board wars? ;)

Vanuslux

Explorer
Wisdom Penalty said:
Yah, I'm seeing the irony in posting a thread that's purpose is to usher out the days of those very types of threads.

So, ah, if anyone has the Power, feel free to lock, delete, move, or otherwise kick this thing to the curb.

Wis

There was already a thread to usher out these kinds of threads. The stickied one.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
And it seems like both sides are fighting for "hearts and minds". Like I've said before, both 3e and 4e seem to have a fear. The 3e fans are afraid that the majority will go for 4e, but the 4e fans seem afraid that if too much protest is done towards 4e, momentum or sales might slip, or WoTC might change their mind, if not now but then someday 5e comes out and goes back to earlier game roots.

Well, for clarity's sake, I think 3e trufans legitimately fear a 4e dominance that will eradicate or pigeonhole their favorite version. It's a bit premature for that fear, but its there, and its real.

I think 4e fans are not worried in the slightest that 4e will fail. Everything screams "success!", except the message boards. I think 4e fans are afraid that they won't be able to talk about this cool 4e thing without 5 people coming in and telling them 4e drowns puppies because they have some sort of agenda to push.

(in before the lock?)

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Kamikaze Midget said:
I think 4e fans are afraid that they won't be able to talk about this cool 4e thing without 5 people coming in and telling them 4e drowns puppies because they have some sort of agenda to push.

Why do you hate puppies?!?!? :D

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
Kamikaze Midget said:
I think 4e fans are not worried in the slightest that 4e will fail. Everything screams "success!", except the message boards. I think 4e fans are afraid that they won't be able to talk about this cool 4e thing without 5 people coming in and telling them 4e drowns puppies because they have some sort of agenda to push.(in before the lock?)

If they have nothing to fear, they can just ignore the other opinions or not let the existence of contrary opinions bother them. If there are enough contrary opinions, I think that's a bit of a warning sign that all might not be right.

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
I pointed out elsewhere that, in the last several years, we D&Ders had sorta gone through our own Battle of Unnumbered Tears (ala Tolkien's 5th Battle.)
I stand by that.

But Morgoth got his in the end, and at the hands of elves too.
In our metaphor, our Hobby will endure and triumph over Adversary (Adversary meaning: economic trouble, industry squabbles, and all the other things people might point to.)

Morgoth couldn't do anything more than kill the bodies of the elves, who were reborn into themselves after a sojourn in the Halls of Mandos.
Again, to use the metaphor, you cannot eradicate the Imagination and the capacity to Dream. And we Gamers like to do a lot of both.

Cheers to us.

(Of course, we may yet have to endure the metaphorical equivalent of Turin telling us how invulnerable Nargothrond is, Turgon refusing to listen to a Vala and instead listening to Maeglin, Doriath and the Dwarves destroying each other over a cruddy piece of glass, etc, etc... lol ... before Earendil hits the scene, and the Hobby roars back bigtime.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads