D&D 5E Is the Warlock the Best Class?

GlassJaw

Hero
For me, the Bard, Warlock, and Wizard are the best designed classes. Druid is close too.

They aren't necessarily the most powerful (the "power" of all the classes is close enough for me) or offer a playstyle that everyone will enjoy. But each of those classes offers choices for customization and can contribute solidly in 2 if not all 3 pillars consistently.

I've seen multiple warlocks and wizards in play and I'm playing a bard now. They are always in the mix both in and out of combat and each of those characters has been unique in how they were played. That's my benchmark when I'm evaluating a class or designing myself (hence my issues with the fighter).

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Ugg, why? Concept is what you develop after you know how you want the character to play mechanically.
Huh wait concept first (can include some play elements) then find awesome mechanics optimised to back that... and in the middle compromise one way or an other then grumble about that

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Huh wait concept first (can include some play elements) then find awesome mechanics optimised to back that... and in the middle compromise one way or an other then grumble about that
I don't actually have any real problem with people building concept first. I just find posts of "I always start with a concept first and don't care about mechanics because I'm not some munchkin" to be fairly tiresome.

ccs...I agree with you whole heartedly, however One Can Take Find Familar with the Pact of the Tome and research an Imp or other expanded Familiar option, and still learn all other Ritual Magic spells ( level dependent of course)....which is just a more useful build, variety wise, and not at all DPS related.
Is the Expanded Familiar option that you're talking about homebrew or from the DM'sGuild?

Getting an Imp familiar is not something you can usually do with the Find Familiar spell.

5ekyu

Hero
Is the Expanded Familiar option that you're talking about homebrew or from the DM'sGuild?

Getting an Imp familiar is not something you can usually do with the Find Familiar spell.
In the MM there are some creatures with notes on how ggry can become familiars without Find Familiar and those rules have been referenced quite a few times in official comments about familiars.

Note - those options do not include the Find Familiar spell features either do if it dies, it's dead, not just time for recsdt and the telepathy might not be there either. Consult the critter rules for specifics - some share their resistances.

In the MM there are some creatures with notes on how ggry can become familiars without Find Familiar and those rules have been referenced quite a few times in official comments about familiars.

Note - those options do not include the Find Familiar spell features either do if it dies, it's dead, not just time for recsdt and the telepathy might not be there either. Consult the critter rules for specifics - some share their resistances.
I'm aware of those, but that is essentially trying to persuade an NPC (assuming the DM introduces them at all) to be your friend, or make a deal with it.
That doesn't seem to be what the post I quoted was talking about. - They seem to be regarding having access to an Imp familiar as automatic - without being a Chain Warlock, as a reason why chain warlocks are not as good.

Dausuul

Legend
ccs...I agree with you whole heartedly, however One Can Take Find Familar with the Pact of the Tome and research an Imp or other expanded Familiar option...
Say what? How do you plan to "research" that? I mean, if you can talk the DM into letting you have it, more power to ya, but it'd take some pretty fast talking for a player to convince me to give them the benefits of Pact of the Chain for free after they went Tome. You want the imp, you take the Chain. Otherwise you get an owl like everybody else.

And the imp is a pretty sweet familiar. Wings plus invisibility at will makes it an incredible scout, and it has hands and human-level intelligence. It can even defeat that scourge of scouting pets, the dreaded Closed Door. It doesn't do much for you in combat, but then neither does Pact of the Tome. Both are utility choices.

I consider the warlock to be the best class from a roleplaying standpoint. You have a connection to a higher power and while it can be about devotion like it is with a cleric, it doesn't have to be. Maybe the pact was strictly a business contract drawn up between frenemies with maneuvering on both sides. Maybe you are drawing power from an entity against its will. Maybe the entity gave you power because it is infatuated with you. Maybe there is a bloodline connection between the entity and you that you cannot break. Maybe you didn't know what you were doing and wound up in the pact by mistake. Or maybe you were so desperate for power you were willing to do anything. The roleplaying possibilities are almost endless. You will need a great GM, a long-running campaign and a well thought-out warlock character concept to capitalize on the potential.

Pauln6

Hero
I think what would be nice would be invocations that could enhance cantrips other than eldritch blast, based on the nature of your pact. So, maybe a fey Pact of the Tome Warlock could be able to use vicious mockery to draw enemies in or something similar.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases