D&D 4E Is there a "Cliffs Notes" summary of the entire 4E experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obryn

Hero
Sorry to interrupt the edition warring, but I have an important announcement to make.

This thread is now the "cool pictures of 80's cartoon heroes thread."

http://nebezial.deviantart.com/art/he-man-teaser-style-115891770]He Man![/url]
5OPYQ6b.jpg

First one to post an awesome Skeletor and a similar challenge gets XP (if I can XP you). Note: Skeletor must be badass.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Today I learned that Come and Get It could have been "fixed" by making it more complicated:

Hit: The target chooses to either be pulled 2 squares and take 1W damage, or to be stunned until the end of their next turn and marked until the end of the encounter.

That's kinda cool to know.
It'd 'fix' it in the sense of addressing one of the 'dissociative' complaints about it. That'd've only helped to the extent that those complaints were sincere, in the first place. The last errata the power received also 'fixed' it in the same sense by making it an attack vs Will to pull. You can see how everyone stopped complaining about it after that.

Remathilis

Legend
Sorry to interrupt the edition warring, but I have an important announcement to make.

This thread is now the "cool pictures of 80's cartoon heroes thread."

First one to post an awesome Skeletor and a similar challenge gets XP (if I can XP you). Note: Skeletor must be badass.

tumblr_mwb50d8dgh1s46h7vo1_500.jpg

This thread is now 80's anime. Go!

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I gotta agree here. I think it would be more appropriate to say that one important feature of TTRPGs is that the players and their characters are not constrained to a limited set of responses prescribed by the rules. However that's certainly not THE defining characteristic of RPGs or else Whose Line Is It Anyway suddenly becomes an RPG.

I'm a little confused by the analogy -- you totally have your options constrained to a limited set of responses by the rules in a Whose Line game (heck, that's half the point -- how well can you obey these arbitrary and ridiculous rules?).

IF "your character can do anything you can imagine" is the defining element of a TTRPG (I don't know that it is, but it sounds reasonable to assert), it certainly bears some resemblance to certain kinds of theater, definitely make-believe as a kid...though I'd be hard pressed to find other games where this is true (like with the Whose Line games, playing within the bounds set by the rules is kind of part of the fun of the thing).

Tony Vargas

Legend
IF "your character can do anything you can imagine" is the defining element of a TTRPG, it certainly bears some resemblance to certain kinds of theater, ...
The Role vs Roll debate that raged in the 90s could be boiled down to an attempt to redefine RPGs as improvisational theater exercises.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads