Is there a database or listing of core/base classes?

Mirth

Explorer
Does anyone have a listing of what core/base classes are offered in all of the d20 products? I know dreamthief has a database for the prestige classes, but I was wondering if the same kind of thing had been done for the non-prestige ones...

If not, should we start one here in this thread? I'll suggest a few:

From WotC's Oriental Adventures:
Samurai
Shaman
Shugenja
Sohei
Wu Jen

From WotC's Psionics Handbook:
Psion
Psychic Warrior

From FFG's Midnight:
Channeler
Defender
Legate
Wildlander

From FFG's Dragonstar: Starfarer's Handbook:
Mechanist
Pilot

From GR's Book of the Righteous:
Holy Warrior

Not sure if this sort of thing should include classes from Star Wars, Spycraft, d20 Modern etc. I'm interested in those, but others may not be.

Thoughts? Input?

Jay

Last edited:

Mirth

Explorer
Whoops! I forgot one...

From WotC's Dungeon Master's Guide:
Witch

And another question: Should we include variant versions of core PHB classes like those in Malhavoc's Book of Eldritch Might?

Last edited:

Mirth

Explorer
Thanks EK :)

That adds several classes from Wheel Of Time that I was unaware of as well as some variant classes from Ravenloft, the NPC classes from the DMG, and the Troubadour from Emerald Sage 1 (neither of which I'd heard of before).

Anybody have any others? Something I may have missed.

I thought about Ken Hood's Bushfighter, but I'm not sure if I want to get into net-developed classes because the quality varies so much (although all of Ken's stuff is great).

If anyone can add anything else to this, please do, because although I feel that prestige classes have been done to death, I think that core classes have been underused as a resource.

TIA,

Jay

infax

First Post
Mongoose classes

Well, Mongoose publishing recently started a new series of theirs (the "Power Claases" books) dedicated to creating new base classes.
Knowing how prolific these guys are, we can expect that list to grow fast!

From MGP Power Classes:
Assassin
Gladiator
Exorcist
Noble
Knight
Artificer
Hedge Wizard
Explorer
Fool
Alchemist
Pirate
Cabalist

infax

First Post
Tons of Mages

Also, AEG has a nice book called Magic, which details 14 magical styles, each one with its own base class (and a PrC to boot). (In addition to Mongoose, AEG also seems to be dealing with a ton new classes. It seems in there Swashbuckling Adventures book, which I don't have, there are some more classes)
And forget the soon-to-come Warcraft RPG, which isn't even out yet and has already presented a class: the Scout.

From AEG's Magic:
Chronomancer
Elementalist
Totemist
Flesh Mage
Mage Smith
Adept of the Awakened Eye
Number Magician
Runewright
Shadow Mage
Tinker
Thaumaturge
Theurgist
Witch

infax

First Post
Variants and web classes

For what is worth it, I wholehartedly agree with you on classes taken from the web: quality varies too much to be worth including.
And as for Monte Cook's variants, I would, personally, include them as I really liked most of his takes on classes.
Anyways, his Arcana Unearthed is scheduled to be released soon with 11 (if I'm not mistaken) new classes.

Mirth

Explorer
infax: Thanks for the info and input! Have you played or played with or DMed any of these classes? Do any of them stand out any better than the others, any worse? Does anyone else reading this thread have practical experience with these core classes? I would agree with Monte's variants too, but I wonder how many of the other variants (like those from OA) are different enough to warrant adding to a list?

Chun-tzu: That list is great! Just the thing I was looking for. How often does it get updated? I noticed that the last update was in April, which would account for why the classes from FFG's Midnght are not included.

Thanks for the info everyone! I think the Netbook of Classes' list looks pretty comprehensive. Feel free to check it over and add any classes that you think are missing to this thread, however. Now I just need some feedback. Anyone want to speak up for a new core class that they just LOOOOOOVE? Or one they HAAAATE?

These boards are simply beautiful,

Jay

mirthcard said:
And another question: Should we include variant versions of core PHB classes like those in Malhavoc's Book of Eldritch Might?
Monte's classes are not variants on core classes. They are fully and independently developed classes.

I'd be curious how many of these classes are OGC.

Remove ads