Is there a database or listing of core/base classes?

Mirth

Explorer
jmucchiello said:
Monte's classes are not variants on core classes. They are fully and independently developed classes.

I'd be curious how many of these classes are OGC.

You're talking about the classes from Arcana Unearthed, I think, Joe. I was referring to the variants that Monte has presented in his Books of Eldritch Might I & II, as well as the variant ranger he has on his website. But my wording in that reply was confusing :) Edit: Upon re-reading your post, perhaps I'm the one who is confused. I was under the impression that the classes MC presented in the BOEMs were variants. Am I wrong about this?

Also, I didn't think we needed to be concerned about OGC if all we're doing is adding the name of the class to the list of available core classes. I'm not looking for any rules information, I can find that out on my own. All I was looking for was a list of which ones were out and where they could be found.

Thanks for the reply, Joe, and I hope that clears things up. Edit: Or maybe you can clear it up for me :D

Jay

Last edited:

maransreth

Explorer
If you know of any core or prestige classes that appear in any d20 product that does not appear in the class list, please send the information along to Becky in the email address provided.
Please ensure that you give the page number as well as the product it is from. This does not have to be restricted to just print products, but can include pdfs as well. Then hopefully we can make it THE COMPLETE list as we aim for.

Duane

infax

First Post
To be honest, I own more books than I can manage to read. In special for the Mongoose base classes, I mostly picked up the names from their webpage. I skimmed the Knight book from a friend and found it was really more into flavor than in seeking for a new and interesting take on mechanics.

As for elaborating on base classes I like or hate, I thing any take on that would quickly evolve to a debate on what *constitutes* a base class. So that would be my question: What is expected of a base class?

I know this is bound to generate endless discussion, so I would just remind people that each one has a different gaming style and no set of rules is bound to be TRUELY universal.

A strong disagreement I have with the PHB is that some classes are so flavorful - and flavor dependent - as the paladin, the druid and the ranger and other classes are so dry and generic, like the fighter, the rogue and the wizard. Mostly I like all those classes, but don't find they mix well in the same gaming groups.

Mirth

Explorer
infax,

I agree with your outlook. I suppose I was more interested in whether you had actually played in a game where one of these core classes had been used (either by yourself or someone else) and what your thoughts were. Because I play a TON of PbP games here on ENWorld, I'm interested in the variety that core classes provide. Many games start at 1st level and in the PbP world you hardly ever make it far enough to gain a prestige class. So if I ever decide to run a PbP homebrew game, I'd like to have a wide array of character options for the prospective players.

Thanks to everyone for their input. This thread has helped me greatly.

Jay

infax

First Post
I DMed a couple of games in which players I had players with Monte's Alt. Ranger, I played Monte's Alt. Sorcerer myself and created one of his Bards as an NPC allied to the group.

I had complains from some players that the Alt. Ranger was too powerful, but that same player stated that with a D8 hit dice the class was worthless. Mostly, people that used the Ranger greatly enjoyed the experience and the flexibility. I had a great time with the Sorcerer and little trouble with the modified spell list (although it was a little harder to fit spells from origins different than the PHB in it).

The Alt. Bard however, I felt was really underpowered in my gaming group. The NPC only stayed for the first few levels (2-4th if I'm not mistaken), but I really didn't feel the spells and other abilities allowed the character to stand up to an good place in the group. Although the character lent a good hand to the remainder of the party on a couple of occasions, she had quickly to fade out of battle or be rescued.

Most of the other classes I never saw in a game.

Remove ads