D&D 5E Is there a spell to control a volcano so that it is permanently active?

J-H

Hero
It would be in the 8th-9th level range, and would be up to the DM to determine. It may be a ritual, something to recast daily, or something of that nature.

Earthquake would probably work to detonate an existing volcano that's hot but not yet erupting.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Wish these days has a number of set safe uses, of which "control a volcano" is not one. Which means you might get what you want, but there are risks.

There are no other spells we can unequivocally say will have this effect, especially not permanently.

This sounds to me like a thing a PC would need to go on a quest to find the parts of the formulae for a spell that would have the desired effect.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
That sounds like an opportunity to visit some sages who know about rituals and incantations (and geology) and such things. You probably will have to write your own "spell".

Unless you want to walk into Mordor, sneak into the Barad-Dur, and steal Sauron's version out from under his very nose ...

aco175

Legend
Earth has volcanoes that have been erupting for years. These are mostly liquid flow, uncool events and not end-of-days eruptions. Places like Hawaii or rift zones bubble lava all day.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
A single spell to do it is asking a lot.

Getting fire and earth elementals and related creatures to do it for you would be easier and likely within the realm of possibility for an ambitious genie or fire giant noble.

I was thinking that one result of that Wish could be such a creature moving in and expecting tribute from the locals...

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
A single spell to do it is asking a lot.

Getting fire and earth elementals and related creatures to do it for you would be easier and likely within the realm of possibility for an ambitious genie or fire giant noble.
I think that is the "way" to do it. Don't have it be a volcano, have it be a gate to the plane of fire - or maybe hell. In other words, be "magical"

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I was thinking that one result of that Wish could be such a creature moving in and expecting tribute from the locals...
Alternately, "only I can hold back the force of the volcano! Give me gold and resources so I can continue my efforts to protect you all, my beloved people!"

That lowers the chance some paladin is going to take your head off with a greatsword -- you're one of the good guys.

Remove ads