• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is there any hope for Macs?

buzz said:
Uh, Classic?

We had about 16 years of the previous OS. Now we're settling into a new OS (one that, at it's core, has been around for 30 years or so) that will probably not have to be thrown out anytime soon. I appreciate the fact that now I don't need to reboot unless I want to. :)
Classic is INCREDIBLY buggy. Half the time, I don't have a toolbar. And Classic is also the only way I've found so far to crash an OS 10 machine. Which actually speaks well for it, because I have a powerful Aura of Mac Crashing. OS 10 is well shielded against it, right up until the instant Classic mode comes on. Then I'm back in the familiar rebooting 3 or 4 times a day cycle.

buzz

Adventurer
Gotcha. It's hard for me to comment extensively on Classic, as the few OS9 programs that I needed to keep are sequencer/audio apps, and you can't run them in classic. :) Ergo, I have to boot into OS9 to use them, so I'm never running Classic. Still, I didn't have many problems when I originally did have to use it.

Thankfully, every program of consequence (that I use, at least) has been updated ('cept for this one dang noise-reduction app...). I've gladly said goodbye to OS9.

Now if only I didn't have to spend eight hours a day using a PC at work...

Last edited:

Dimwhit

Explorer
I've been using Safari for a year and I've never had any problems. Works great for me.

Canis said:
If Microsoft ever released an operating system that made it impractical, if not impossible to run all the software from an earlier version of Windows, people would scream bloody murder. But Apple did it and it's perfectly fine with most people. :confused:

EDIT: We no longer have an eye-rolling smilie?

Some might argue (and by some I mean ME), that this is one (of many) of Microsoft's problems. At some point, they have to ditch all the old stuff to keep their OS from getting too bloated (I know...too late).

Dimwhit said:
Some might argue (and by some I mean ME), that this is one (of many) of Microsoft's problems. At some point, they have to ditch all the old stuff to keep their OS from getting too bloated (I know...too late).
Theoretically, I agree with you. But it needs to be done in such a way that it doesn't invalidate every bit of software you have. Apple had the right idea with Classic mode, but it is, as I said, buggy. And there is no incentive for companies to provide free upgrades to OS 10 versions of their software. Indeed, I would argue that most are gleefully raking in the cash from the people who are forced to buy all their software again. It is consumer-unfriendly. Of course, Macs costing what they do, I guess their target demographic doesn't mind dropping a lot of money on their computer. :shrugs:

There's a reason Macs are a niche market and MS appeals to the mainstream. PCs are more consumer friendly. 90% of the market doesn't notice that Win XP is crazy bloated, because they're not putting the kinds of demands on their system that make it obvious. My kid sister has a computer that's about twice as powerful as mine, and she uses it to surf the internet, e-mail, and IM people. It makes me twitch.

buzz

Adventurer
Canis said:
And there is no incentive for companies to provide free upgrades to OS 10 versions of their software.
When the heck do software companies in general offer free upgrades? Selling upgrades is a basic part of the business model, regardless of OS (and excluding open-source).

Besides, there is an incentive: keeping your customer base from dropping you in favor of a product that works on their new, shiny OS (Quark, anyone?). :)

Of course, Macs costing what they do, I guess their target demographic doesn't mind dropping a lot of money on their computer. :shrugs:
Leaving total cost of ownership and feature comparison arguments aside... (hehe) you're actually right. Part of Mac marketing is that you're paying a bit more to get "the best". I tend to agree; my '99 Rev1 G3 continues to purr along nicely. I spend a lot of time working on computers (Web designer), and the differences, slight though they may be to many, are totally worth it for me. And it's Unix, dude! :cool:

It would be nice if Apple could work a cheaper "consumer" model into their lineup. The eMac is close, but the price point (despite the quality) is still a bit of a shock to the Joe Average who's used to seeing $399 PCs at Best Buy.

But as long as iPod sales continue as they have, I'm cool with Apple's current strategy. :)

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
You know, it's been four years since Apple went X. It sucks if you're stuck on an older machine, but then, it sucks if you're stuck on an older machine. I wouldn't want to browse much of today's Web with four-year-old technology.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Joshua Dyal said:
The answer to your main question, in the thread title, is no. :D
*Mac fanatic smacks casual comment-maker. Film at eleven.*

Better stated: you have not got any.

Me, I gots whole heaps. This year's tax return = GarageBand! Yeah, baby.

Dimwhit

Explorer
barsoomcore said:
This year's tax return = GarageBand! Yeah, baby.

GarageBand is a cool program, though I haven't fiddled much yet.

And thanks for giving JD a virtual smack! :) (Personally, I'm happy with the 5% market share--they keep coming out with great stuff, and we don't have to deal with the problems that go with a high-marketshare OS.)

barsoomcore said:
You know, it's been four years since Apple went X. It sucks if you're stuck on an older machine, but then, it sucks if you're stuck on an older machine. I wouldn't want to browse much of today's Web with four-year-old technology.
Interesting. I didn't want to get into this, but...

My Mac at work is four years old. You're saying that it is too old. I'll give you that. It most definitely is. On the other hand, most of my PC is also 4 years old. It is FAR from too old. I spend about $150 a year (sometimes more, sometimes less) upgrading it. It can run rings around a brand new Mac on any task other than graphics production, and so far I've spent a total of about $1000 on it, from the day I bought the motherboard & case to the present. Furthermore, to get a new Mac every 4 years is unrealistic economically for most people, and even for a lot of labs, like mine, which have to replace other equipment, as well. The lab itself has a couple newer Macs, but as the lowly grad student, I get a older iMac, and I like it or lump it.

My "four year old" PC can run WinXP if I want it to, easily. I don't. I run Win2000 and Linux. But the option is there. My iMac could only run OS 10 by the intervention of deities. As such, I do not have access to any current Mac software, and no option of improving what I have. That's just poor.

So please, forego the smug, "well, you don't even know enough to know that your machine is a dinosaur" attitude.

Remove ads